I have been doing a lot of thinking lately about all the young people who have died this year and while most of us ride to insure to the best of our ability that we will not be a statistic stuff happens.
What I am looking for are well reasoned ideas that those of you who are interested in looking at the system as we have it today for riding could be changed in order to make everyone a better rider through training, including post licence, gear requirments, bike displacement etc.
I am not asking for silly opinions on ICBC is a rip off, or that there is some great conspiracy against riders but rather what you woould do if you have the legislative power to change the way people ride, what they ride and how they ride.
I am also from a selfish point of view concerend that this year my bike will cost amost 2300 to insure year round. It is in a locked garage, has a mature rider with a long safe driver discount and I have ridden a lot of miles and have takend many extra riding schools
Here are some things to discuss and I am sure that there are many more;
1. graduated licensing but maybe it should be based on bike performance rather than just cc's
2. mandatory upgrading riding skills courses that will insurance redutions
3. Mandartory gear requirements or a regulation that says you will alwyas wear gear and a full face and you get a discounted rate
4. Requalification exams at year 2 3 5 10 and 30
5. Discounts for extra safety features on a bike HID's, daytime extra fork lights, ABS, refelective tape etc
These are just some ideas let's hear yours