Thinking of a change: FZ1 -> SV650
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of a change: FZ1 -> SV650

glowing ghostie! Array gordopolis's Avatar
    Bike
    I have kids

Thinking of a change: FZ1 -> SV650

I'm just thinking out loud here.

My current bike is a 2001 FZ1. Great bike. Powerful, sporty, do-everything.

My previous bike was a 2000 SV650. It was stolen then replaced with my FZ1.

I loved my SV, but found that my FZ1 filled my needs better: it was more powerful, more upright/comfortable, more suitable for two-up riding. However, I think my needs are changing: thanks to baby & family, my two-up riding and general highway touring is very infrequent. Now that Boundary Bay is available, I think I would like something a little more flickable. And while the FZ1 has gobs of power, I almost never get a chance to use it.

So maybe, I'm thinking, I'd like to go back to an SV650? Good for tight, technical circuits, good around town (where most of my riding takes place), cheaper on gas and insurance. And USEABLE power.

Comments? Observations?

Yes, I'm going to post up on SVRider.com's message board.

Does anyone have a link to any model-year-comparisions for the SV? I know 1999-2002 were the same, then the change for 2003, then a smaller change for 2004? I'm not sure of the details.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

No bike for now... Array Betamax's Avatar
    Bike
    Honda Civic
    I've thought about trading in my VFR for an SV for similar reasons. I'm unlikely to tour as much as I used to. And the SV is cheap to run and insure, with lots of useable power. You can pin it instead of always holding back.

I really like the '04 SV with handlebars for commuting around town. Comes in pretty yellow too! Let us know what you decide.

glowing ghostie! Array gordopolis's Avatar
    Bike
    I have kids
    Quote Originally Posted by Betamax
    I've thought about trading in my VFR for an SV for similar reasons. I'm unlikely to tour as much as I used to. And the SV is cheap to run and insure, with lots of useable power. You can pin it instead of always holding back.

I really like the '04 SV with handlebars for commuting around town. Comes in pretty yellow too! Let us know what you decide.
    Yes, the naked (REALLY naked) SV is quite comfy. Similar to my FZ1. But the lack of fairing is a bit nasty, especially for riding in the rain. (Though there *are* attractive aftermarket fairings available.) Plus I want a bit more sportiness, hence the clipons.

Bike
    r6 track slut
    Go for it man. I have a whole new respect for that bike after watching Crevier use it to rip up MRP. I'd take an SV for the street anyday.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    There's a lot more options than just the SV. Any of the mid 90's 600's would also fill your needs very well and at 80 to 90 hp are not way over the top. Just good usable power.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Greeneyes
    How about the new FZ6?? comfy,fairing,handling,lightweight. no bottom end grunt like the SV though. never reeally rode the FZ but i rode a SV and liked the torque.

Registered User Array audiophile's Avatar
    Bike
    04 Yamaha R6
    I've gotta say my 03 SV650 was a dream- lots of low end pull and it loved redline.

Bike
    triumph
    they make bar risers for the svs version if the seating is too aggressive. Go with the newer generation of sv.....having owned an old one and now a new one i can say that it has a little more oomph and is smoother and more reliable, plus no choke is a real hassle saver......so much after market stuff available already as well......though if i had a choice i would get the full naked that they offer in canada for the first time this year. Yeah no wind protection but so what. Its way more comfy and has a shorter swing arm and larger sprocket for batter acceleration that the s model. You can always get clip ons and rearsets later.....

Bike
    Something blue
    Quote Originally Posted by gordopolis

Does anyone have a link to any model-year-comparisions for the SV? I know 1999-2002 were the same, then the change for 2003, then a smaller change for 2004? I'm not sure of the details.
    Here's a link to a comparison chart for 2002-2003:
    http://www.stickyc.com/sv650/

No bike for now... Array Betamax's Avatar
    Bike
    Honda Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecVGirl
    Here's a link to a comparison chart for 2002-2003:
    http://www.stickyc.com/sv650/
    thanks for the link!

I like the gif at the top showing the 02 morph into the 03...nice!

West Koots, I'm here.... Array flyfishinwoman's Avatar
    Bike
    a few toys
    I really like my '04 yellow SVS. I rode the FZ6, the GSXR750 (04 &03), and both the SV's, but for me the "s" was more to my liking. The fuel injection is very nice, and no choke on warm-up. Also, the fairing does a good job of keeping the wind blast away at highway speeds, I put a double bubble aftermarket windshield on mine and it works great (the stock one's not bad though). Heli-bars make risers for this bike, and no modification of the cables is needed, if you're looking for a more upright seating position.

The power of the SV is not "wow", but is like you said, useable. I think it's a great around-town bike, and a capable sport-tourer if you don't want to go mach1 on the highway.
    Back in BC, yay!!!
    2010 Yamaha Vstar 950
    250 Saga Dual-sport
    AC quad
    BCSB #712
    WMRC #747 (2005)

DPT Downtown Poser Team Array Bluepill's Avatar
    Bike
    beater piece of shit
    the new suzuki katana looks pretty nice, too......
    similiar naked style to your SV.....~

West Koots, I'm here.... Array flyfishinwoman's Avatar
    Bike
    a few toys
    Yes, the new Katana looks nice, but is still the old technology air/oil cooled engine from wayyyyy back, and is more expensive than the SV. Also, the torque of the SV is very nice to have, don't have to downshift as much to get useable power. I am a twin convert now.
    Back in BC, yay!!!
    2010 Yamaha Vstar 950
    250 Saga Dual-sport
    AC quad
    BCSB #712
    WMRC #747 (2005)

sluggo
    Another bike to check out is the Kawasaki Z750. It has a nice engine with tons of pull and it's pretty comfy. There are reports of some vibration at round 6000rpm. I'm not sure it's much different from a vtwin though.

Bike
    2007 BMW G650X-Challenge
    My SV is great. More than enough power for me. Cheap on fuel too. It will do about 280km on a full tank, highway riding, 130km/h+.

Very comfortable as well. I would like to get the full fairing, but it is really not needed.

Great in town due to low-end torque.

The 2004 has a slightly lower seat and rear subframe vs. the 2003. Also has slightly lower pegs and lower exhaust can.

I would take a hard look at the FZ6 though. That was my first choice, but I didn't wait until they came out. Plus I took advantage of the rebates last September. Paid $7800 out the door. Works out to $6700 before taxes.
    Dan
    2007 BMW G650X Challenge