Rollerblading help
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rollerblading help

Bike
    I wish.

Rollerblading help

So here I am rollerblading. Outside of Richmond (Read: hills). And I don't know how to stop.

I can do the spin around thing at lower speeds.. and of course can use the break somewhat. But WTF do you do when the hill is like 1 km long?

Luckily there was a side road and I took a large arch turn into it. I'd imagine if a car was coming I'd have been hit.
    BCSB- Administrator

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    '09 Bandit SEA
    You can use the brake on the one 'blade.. of if you're cool and took it off like me (heh), you can drag one 'blade behind you at 90 degrees to your course of travel and pray.

-Matt

Kahuna
    It is not that difficult.

I found that the stopper on the boot is not really slowing you down, specially when the hill is long.

The most common way t decellerate is to put the "weaker" behind yourself and square it off, then drag it on the floor. Apply gently pressue, the wheels should only skid, slowing you down, you dont want full grip or contact, because that would force the foot to roll to the side and split your legs.

If you ever make you way out to the sea wall I am more than happy to demonstrate. Seeijng it is probably eaier to duplicate than reading about it.

Bike
    I wish.
    Yeah, I gave that a shot as well Kahuna. I guess just practice would be good. I came over a bit of a crest and not knowing my new neighbourhood very well it pretty much snuck up on me. Was a bit of an interesting ride
    BCSB- Administrator

Bike
    07 CBR600RR
    if the space that your travelling is wide enough.. you can swirve around side to side to slow down your speed a bit and then do what jonesboy sais.. but dont blame us if you fall haha ive fell too many times trying to stop with rollerblades until i figured out it was not the thing for me.. mostly because i dont know how to stop either

Bike
    I wish.
    lol. I'll give it another few shots. Failing that I'll just go buy a bike.
    BCSB- Administrator

Devil's Advocate Array RoadBlur's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki XV 2182
    Yeah I use a mix of the 'downhill skiing mogul zig zag' and the 'ride that brake' approaches. I don't like compromizing my wheels by wearing them down dragging.. but then again my brake is worn down through the plastic at the moment. Anybody know a place I can get a 'RollerDerby' brand brake??? heh
    -=Graduate: Dragon Driving School=-

Raise your pitch forks in the air, shake 'em like ya just don't care!

Bike
    your girlfriend
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantium
    lol. I'll give it another few shots. Failing that I'll just go buy a bike.
    Adam don't forget to put on your one piece leather , and back protector. road rash is road rash

Bike
    07 CBR600RR
    his right put on your leathers and practice.. what better way to learn how to stop w/o hurting yourself

Doesn't register Array Mutate Now!'s Avatar
    "Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.”
    Bike
    It runs...
    I have aggressive blades, hence no 'brake' mounted. If I need to slow my descent (what on earth for?) down a hill, I 'telemark' down the hill, weight on the rear skate, carving a slalom keeping my feet mostly perpendicular to the slope.

Most of the time, if it's clear and there's little to no risk of cross traffic, I just tuck and go for it! I once passed cars on Pacific Bvld. heading east of Burrard doing this... NOT advised for the faint of heart...

This post is simply the opinion of the poster and is not to be construed as instructions or advice. Your mileage may vary.
    I rode Deal's Gap / The Dragon in September 2007 and I visited Yellowstone in August 2010. Where have you been?

Whalley.. NYC.. CNY.. New West.. Kelowna.. good gawd back to New West
    Bike
    98 Gixxer 750... crumpled.. 01 Gixxer 1000 crumpled... 04 XR650R motard
    Blaahhhaaa... sorry Adam I find this too funny... mainly because I see sooo many people that look like "new born deers" trying to negotate the hills of New Westminster... like the bottom of Queens...

I'll give you some advice.. I don't have brakes on my blades, never have (been on skates since I was 2)... the way you slow down really depends on the speed that you are going and the ground surface... if you have a brake and are going at fairly easy pace try using your brake at first putting the brake leg out first pressing the heal down... at fast speeds and on a grippy surface a quick turn left or right is just going to launch you into next week (this method is great on flat smooth surfaces)... the fasts way to stop is to dragging one of the blades in a T-stop like postion behind your leading leg (you can alternate feet as you slow down)... before the speed gets to out of control you can also do the same thing as when skiing... slalom back and forth quickly.. this will slow your speed down...

And if all else fails screem like a girl and locate the softest possible land spot... pray for the best... and head for it....

Just remember this advice comes from a guy that has crashed three bikes in less than a year!

Good Luck!
    Rip shit!

Bike
    Honda NC19
    Hey I'm new too. My method for stopping is falling down on something or running into something.

2 years ago when I first went out roller blading at Stanley park I fell and seriously ROLLED down this hill. I finally stopped at the bottom and all these people were around me and asked if I needed an ambulance. I couldn't stop laughing even though I was totally in pain.
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING : Quitting 2-Stroking Now Greatly Reduces Serious Risks to Other People's Health.

I do all my own stunts Array boarder's Avatar
    Bike
    only 1 bike now, '02 gsxr750
    i stopped roller blading long time ago, but ya t-stop is the way to go. I never had brakes on mine, never really need them in the skate parks anyways. I would t-stop after going 60 km downhill...hehe, I passed a couple of bikes..fun stuff. PLus rollerblades got no respect until you tripppled the amount of air they were getting in the park... so ya, grew out of them and bought a bmx, have a pair of size 9 roller blades collecting dust at my old house.
    anyone wanna lend me a bike ?

Bike
    2000 R6 RaceBike..
    Fruit Boots.......
    Life is like a beautiful woman, you just thinks its a bitch cuz it wont give you any.

Team No Team Array
    Bike
    CRF450X
    I may be talking out of my #@s but doing the side to side thing works well. The transition from gradually going from side to side to get used to it, to really going hard from side to side when u get used to it seems to slow you down a fair bit. Going even further that and really cranking the corner with your blades is how you would ?? power stop on ice skates? Cause turning real fast generates a lot of friction which helps slow your down?? At least that's what I feel and think. Going gradually from side to side slows you down a bit, but really going hard left and right helps slow u down more than gradual. Leaning a bit and playing with how your ankles are positioned, like to turn left, inverting the left ankle and everting the right ankle really helps to get your turned and scrub off speed. But of course this is after 4 rum and cokes so I could be just trippin'!