Motard for a first bike??

Thread: Motard for a first bike??

Bike
    Honda 2002 919 Blue

Motard for a first bike??

Hey guys just wondering what you guys think of a motard for a first bike? Would it work well for a inexperenced rider? Im just looking for a good bike to boot to work on and maybe have some fun in a parking lot or book it up to Sea2Sky.

What kind of bikes do you think are a good starting point for motard conversion?

thx in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    Big fat 1400cc pig XR650Rtard
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto
    Hey guys just wondering what you guys think of a motard for a first bike? Would it work well for a inexperenced rider? Im just looking for a good bike to boot to work on and maybe have some fun in a parking lot or book it up to Sea2Sky.

What kind of bikes do you think are a good starting point for motard conversion?

thx in advance
    absolutely,great first bike, the control you learn will come back in spades later on.
    an added bonus as well is that scrapes and scratches are expected on a motard so go crazy and you will have a ball.

DP bikes crash "well" too, at least my XR does

Bike
    Honda 2002 919 Blue
    Cool, thx

Any suggestions on bikes? What does it usually cost for a conversion of a already street legal dirt bike?

Bike
    A couple of Suzukis
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto
    Any suggestions on bikes? What does it usually cost for a conversion of a already street legal dirt bike?
    You can do a search and come up with a lot more detailed info...but here's sorta of the range I've been seeing: (and what I've been budgeting for myself)

17" wheels with 'sporty' tyres: $1800 (some people have gotten them for less [Dan], and you can also save by just buying rimes and using your stock hubs)
    Upgraded brakes: $300-$500+
    Making it street legal: ~$500 (n/a for you, if you're getting a street legal bike already)

Those are sort of the essentials, I think. Other stuff I'd probably get right away would be a pipe ($500+) and front fender ($???); and probably lower/tighten the suspension shortly thereafter.

This info is all from a motard-wannabe...so take it with a grain of salt. Some of the other guys that have gone through building a couple of these things would probably have better info.
    Maybe Mediocre
    BCSB - I hate you

Greeneyes
    Your bike choices- DRZ400S-suzuki,400cc water cooled dohc 4 stroke, klr 400 is identical except for kawi paint. cheap insurance, common place to start. or DR650(96 and newer)-air cooled 650cc sohc motor,katie has one of those.
    you can buy my 97 DR350,st legal and fun but down on power compared to the 2 others.
    Pretty much all the choices if you wanna start street legal.
    theres also the honda XR650L but its very tall and more offroad oriented.

Je ne suis pas Francais Array nutcracker's Avatar
    Bike
    none at the moment
    I think that a supermoto would be a great bike because like Mess said , they crash really great and you can drop it on its side without worrying about scraches. Depending on your budget , you can probably get a conversion for 2000$. The DRZ 400 or the KLX 400 are great bikes to start with. Wait for next year , I might be selling mine
    2010 can't affort a bike anymore
    2006 Husqvarna 610SM
    2004 VFR
    2003 R1
    2002 KTM LC4
    1998 ZX6-R
    I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death.

Bike
    The Mighty One
    Awesome place to start. Some of the best street riders start on dirtbikes. DRZ's are among my favorites.