Please help! Battery question
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Please help! Battery question

Unregistered User Array BlackAkuma's Avatar
    Bike
    05 RVT1000R

Please help! Battery question

Hey guys,

two days ago, I found out that my bike wont start. It was because of my battery. So I charged it until it was full.

Now, two days later, which is today, I finally had the time to ride.. I push the starter, chi-chi-chi nothing! Batteries dead again!

Questions:
    1)my bike is a 03 and it has 9600 kms. So is this normal for motorcycle batteries to die this early?

2)Will turning the bike on and off for only a few seconds each time to test the installation of my rearsets /without firing it up, will that kill the battery really easily?

3)If you have a alarm system installed and it is NOT ARMED, will it drain the battery slowly even if the bike is off too?

4)What should I do, should I buy a new battery?

Does anyone know the answer to these questions.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    Honda & Suzuki
    Questions:
    1)my bike is a 03 and it has 9600 kms. So is this normal for motorcycle batteries to die this early?
    No

2)Will turning the bike on and off for only a few seconds each time to test the installation of my rearsets /without firing it up, will that kill the battery really easily?
    No

3)If you have a alarm system installed and it is NOT ARMED, will it drain the battery slowly even if the bike is off too?
    No, not if it is wired correctly

4)What should I do, should I buy a new battery?
    Does anyone know the answer to these questions.

Confirm battery’s status with a specific gravity test first (assuming you can) and/or a discharge test
    Confirm that you have a charger suitable for a motorcycle battery and that it is working properly and that you have hooked it up correctly
    Confirm your motorcycle charging system is functional
    Confirm there is no load when the ignition is off
    Confirm there is no excessive load when the ignition is in
    Confirm that all connections are really clean tight and in good order
    Confirm that all wiring is really clean and in good order

Chum

Registered User Array
    Bike
    '79 Honda 500SE<- Joke, I have a nice bike
    1) No.
    2) How many times are we talking about? Each time you turn the bike on the fuelpump spins up and sucks some juice. 4or5=no problem. 20= flat battery.

3)Yes. If it's plugged in it's reciever draws a tiny ammount of current to listen for the signal from the pog. We are talking tiny amounts. It should not flatten the battery unless the bike is parked for at least a couple weeks.

4)I'm betting no.

Buy a "battery tender". Not a 'charger', a TENDER. Plug it in a let it charge up. Don't play with the lights. Don't turn the bike on and off over and over. Ride the bike normaly. If the battery stays charged then you know it wasn't the problem, you were. If it dies quickly again go to a shop. You MIGHT have a bad battery, but I think that your turning the bike on and off is probably to blame.

-Sandworm
    NOT A LAWYER

Bike
    Honda & Suzuki
    Good evening Master Worm!

2) will that kill the battery really easily?
    I still say no, not “really easily”, a good battery can really put out and take quite a bit of abuse. I would be very disappointed in any new quality battery that was wiped out by only 20 quick on/offs.

3) I still say no, in that discharging in this context is not very significant. It would take much longer that the “at least a couple weeks” you mention. I just don't see the small draw as very signifainct in the normal scheme of things. Also don’t forget you can disable the alarm and perhaps reduce the draw even further from “armed” to “off” mode.

And yes a charger will work too as I mentioned, if it specifies it can. Not that there is anything wrong with the “Battery Tender” which BTW is in essence a brand name not a type. Many chargers have a trickle mode and the needed “intelligence” to maintain a bike’s battery too.
    Last edited by Chumly; 08-04-2004 at 11:37 PM.

Bike
    05 RVT1000R

Thumbs down

thanks for the help guys! But I think my issue is actually deeper than the battery!!

So I charged it on 2 volts for 30 minutes. turned on the bike, it was fine. Electronics were all bright. I used a testing metermajig and it sensed it had 12.34 volts in the battery. I Tried to start up the bike, Bike is in NEUTRAL, (I made sure by pushing the bike, engine switch ON, and the bike is trying really hard to fire but it just wont. I try a few times, the bike just wont start, I add gas, and it would putt putt* spit for a millesecond and die out. Me and my brother are thinking theres not enough charge to even fire up the fuel injectors..

So we connect the charger back onto the battery, put it on 10volts to see if that would do the trick, the bike still is doing the same thing. I add gas, millesecond putt putt**, splat.

So as a last resort, we took his car, and tried to jump start my bike. My bikes electronics sounded very lively with all the current going into it.all the LCDs and headlights lit up brightly,.. But it just wouldnt fire up!! same putt putt putt splat.

So now I know the battery is not the problem. It is still taking in charge.

I might have just drained it to low from turning on the bike on and off for short seconds with the engine switch on. And also because I did not ride for a week and a half.

But,

I am thinking, does this issue have anything to do with the rear sets I installed?

1.Does starting up the bike have anything to do with the rear brake lever and the rear brake sensor which lights up the brake light?

2.Does starting up the bike have anything to do with the gear shifter or any other components on there?

3.I wonder if it is something to do with the kickstand sensor, which shuts off the bike when it senses you are in first gear, ((could that relate to anything on the transmission side of things, or rearsets?.)) but i did not touch that wire. Does it have anything to do with anything about the rear sets at all?

Arghh,

Please help,
    Thanks,
    Last edited by BlackAkuma; 08-05-2004 at 02:00 AM.

Bike
    05 RVT1000R
    great, just great, I just read from 600rr.net forums that I am not the only one experiencing this on their 600 RR's.

So the trick is to hold the throttle on 50% open or 100% open. Because it could be bad gas. Damn chevron!! Well I'll try it out tomorrow and see what happens cause I better not hold the throttle open right now because its 1:30 in the morning lol. Also they said do not jump start the bike with a car cause its different voltages, and the people who got away with it got lucky.

So what does this mean? Did I get lucky? My battery didnt blow up. does that mean my batterys screwed? Sigh*

Thanks for the help,

Twins Are Better Array IcemanRR's Avatar
    Bike
    1998 TLR
    You can jump the bike no problem with the car. Just dont have the car running when you do it. connect the cable to the car with its engine off. connect the cables to the bike and start it right away.

Sounds to me like you need to drain the tank and refill it with gas. How long has the bike been sitting around?

Bike
    05 RVT1000R
    IcemanRR,

It's been sitting around since <b>july 29th. </b> but on Aug 2nd, I wanted to ride, but when I started it, the battery was dying, so I charged it, and then I fired up the bike for a brief moment and it was working fine! But then I turned it off right away, (kicking myself now!!!) cause afterwards I didnt have time to ride anymore.

So yesterday I was thinking, yea the bike should work cause it fired up on monday, and then the battery was dead again, so I charged it, and now the bike just turns and turns without firing up like what I said in the posts above...

Ok so if I need to drain the tank and refill it with gas, how can I do this?

In what ways does bad gas effect the bike? Does it effect it long term?
    Last edited by BlackAkuma; 08-05-2004 at 01:28 PM.

:) you'll live longer Array rockshoxbiker's Avatar
    Bike
    Yamaha
    another way to try starting the bike with a crappy battery is to unplug the headlights, and leave te battery charger connected to the bike, then give her a crank, and it should start a lot easier. This is mainly for when i've drained the carbs and stabil'ed the gas over the winter.

For this to happen is not normal, check the battery for leaks, and check the surrounding battery box. Possibly a warrenty issue, if you still got it? I did have a battery replaced under warrenty before, but that was because it was leaking

this is my...boomstick! Array CrotchetyRocket's Avatar
    Bike
    click, click
    Gas takes MONTHS to go bad, not days, man.

All the repeated charging has killed the battery. Get some knowledge. Go to a parts store and ask for a "battery tester". This is like a turkey baster and will tell you the condition of the battery by testing the specific gravity of the liquid in each cell. Pop the caps off and test each cell. I'll bet money you have one to three down, at least.

Charging, jump starting, etc., motorcycle batteries kills them. Buy yourself a new one and a 1 amp battery charger from Canadian Tire to keep it topped up. You will get any years out of a new battery this way. You are the cause of the problem, I'm afraid.

Crotch

Registered User Array SpideRider's Avatar
    Bike
    Yup. Crotch is likely right.
    Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battlefield
    -----
    Sparring speed is a matter of simple physics:
    The height of your flight is inversely proportionate to the mass of your ass.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    '79 Honda 500SE<- Joke, I have a nice bike
    If the bike is 'turning over', but isn't starting, you can rest assured that there is no designed system stopping it from doing so. All the various kill-switches (kickstand sensors and such....) will interupt juice heading to the starter so the bike won't even try to turn over.
    NOT A LAWYER

this is my...boomstick! Array CrotchetyRocket's Avatar
    Bike
    click, click
    Very true. It is quite possible, with a weak battery, to get some turnover but not have enough reserve to fire the spark plugs strongly enough to ignite the soggy, choke-on cold-cylinder mixture.

Crotch

Bike
    Honda & Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandworm
    If the bike is 'turning over', but isn't starting, you can rest assured that there is no designed system stopping it from doing so. All the various kill-switches (kickstand sensors and such....) will interupt juice heading to the starter so the bike won't even try to turn over.
    Yup! What Sandworm said

Registered User Array ReelExterminato's Avatar
    Bike
    FZR
    I dont believe that crap about not jumping from a car. Almost all bikes have 12V electronics, so it wont burn anything out if you jump it, even from a running car. The only bad thing that can happen is, if your battery is almost COMPLETELY dead, the car battery, which has a higher discharge capacity, will put out so much current, because of the voltage difference (one battery charged, one not), that it will fuck up your battery and cause it to boil off, or whatever charging too quickly does to it. Then it could cause some problems, but then again the same could happen if you simply have the bike running. The alternator charges at 14V, and it has a decent capacity, especially if you rev the engine, so a completely dead battery might have bad things happen to it as well.

Also, if I try to start the bike in gear with the clutch out, or with the kill switch off, the starter fires, and everything sounds similar to if you try to push start it with the key off. Doesnt that mean its turning over, just not catching because no spark?