CHP , earplugs, and the Red Hot Riders

Thread: CHP , earplugs, and the Red Hot Riders

Lower Mainland

CHP , earplugs, and the Red Hot Riders

I grabbed this post from the Red Hot Riders Website in San Diego, Notice how this group of sportbike riders deals with the CHP, no profanity, no I hate cops discussion etc.

2. Remove Advertisements

Registered User Array SpideRider's Avatar
    Fraser Valley
    That's cool.
    Definitely a lot more constructive and efficient dispute resolution than I've seen around this province.
    Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battlefield
    Sparring speed is a matter of simple physics:
    The height of your flight is inversely proportionate to the mass of your ass.

Registered User Array scubaphil's Avatar
    99 R6
    wow, that was a good read.
    is it legal over here to wear ear plugs or listen to music while riding?
    If jack helped you off a horse would you help jack off a horse??

You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by scubaphil
    wow, that was a good read.
    is it legal over here to wear ear plugs or listen to music while riding?
    I know alot of guys that wear earplugs, but I don't think I'd ever consider listening to music while riding, too distracting.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Roc
    I know alot of guys that wear earplugs, but I don't think I'd ever consider listening to music while riding, too distracting.
    I listen to music on longer trips and honestly its great!! if you like fast heavy music (me) it gets you pumped up and for some wierd reason you seem to get there faster.....wonder why?

More than meets the eye Array Pvt. BLOGGINS's Avatar
    2004 Katana 750, 1992 GS500
    faboulous article

Honda & Suzuki
    The maturity and intelligence and organization shown below is a great template on how we should act here in good old BC!

In addition to my day in court, I am sending this letter to CHP and Arnold:

July 24, 2004

Commissioner D.O. Helmick
    California Highway Patrol
    P.O. Box 942898
    Sacramento, CA 94298-0001

Dear Sir:

Re: CHP Officer ID 15877 , CHP Summons # 25939 TU - Dated 7-24-04

On July 24, 2004 at 10:40 am, it was 85 degrees, the weather was clear and the winds were calm. While traveling northbound on SR 79 at Mesa Grande from Santa Ysabel, San Diego Country I drove past a group of three CHP cruisers at 45 mph, one officer noticed my new motorcycle did not have a license plate. The motorcycle had been purchased new July 5, 2004 and no plate has been received from DMV. The CHP cruiser came up behind me, sounded his siren and instructed me to turn left on Mesa Grande and stop. I complied with the officer’s directions immediately. I turned the motor off, dismounted the bike, removed my gloves and helmet and stood at the bike while the officer exited his cruiser. As he approached me he said, “I stopped you because you don’t have a license plate.”. I relied, "Yes Sir, it's brand new – don’t have one yet." He then asked for my license, registration and proof of insurance. All three documents were produced and handed to the officer. I then removed the personal hearing protector from my right ear. The office then stated, “It’s against the law to wear ear plugs.” I said, “Yes Sir, however these are personal hearing protectors in the form of earplugs specifically designed to attenuate injurious noise levels.” He replied: “They are still against the law.” I replied, “Fine Sir, would you please show me the vehicle code after you have written my ticket.” He said yes.

When the office produced a written copy of the vehicle code 27400, I pointed out 27400 states: "A person operating a motor vehicle or bicycle may not wear a headset covering or earplugs in, both ears. This prohibition does not apply to any of the following:
    Paragraph (d): A person wearing personal hearing protectors in the form of earplugs or molds that are specifically designed to attenuate injurious noise levels. The plugs or molds shall be designed in a manner so as to not inhibit the wearer's ability to hear a siren or horn from an emergency vehicle or a horn from another motor vehicle.

His reply was: “The motorcycle is stock – you don’t need them”. “Yes Sir thats true”, I replied, “I wear them to protect my hearing from wind noise inside the helmet.” I said. He replied, “The helmet is insulated you can’t hear anything, please sign here.” I signed the ticket, and said: ”Fine, I’ll see you in court”. As he walked away looking at the motorcycle he said: “There is no license plate bracket” and paused. I said: “Sir it’s on the rear fender.”

I am a taxpaying citizen and comply with the law. I believe this office was in plain and simple terms harassing me. Other motorcyclists in the area have also complained about this same officer’s harassment. If that is not the case, then perhaps this officer’s lack of knowledge of the law and proper equipment used to ride a motorcycle should preclude him from being a trusted public servant. Because of this officer’s unprofessional behavior or lack of knowledge, I am now forced to take time away from my professional career to seek justice, it’s not right.

John H. Dwulet

CC: Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
    State Capitol Building - Sacramento, CA 95814

CHP Ticket for earplugs

Update of CHP Officer who cited me for violating VC27400. I called the CPH Office to speak to a supervisor. After a brief conversation with his supervisor explaining I felt the officer's only reason to cite me was out of malice and ill will; two hours later the nice Chippy shows up at my work to take the ticket back.

When his supervisor called me back after the first discussion, he confided that the officer realized that night he shouldn't have written the ticket and let his emotion rule the moment. The CHP is on elevated enforcement, probably got to him that he had nothing on me and just had to write a ticket. He knew he was wrong making remarks about me not needing ear plugs. As I explained to the supervisor, the guy had the vehicle code explained to him clearly by me; he either wanted to harass or doesn't understand the English language well enough to be a CHP officer... I believe the former is the case. The super explained the officer fully intended to appear in court to ask the judge to dismiss the charge - which we both agreed would be a waste of time for both parties. My second choice, if I had the ticket with me was to have the same officer pick the ticket up from me at my office and void it. As I had the ticket with me, I gave the super my office address. I was also advised by the super that if I wish I could file a formal complaint against the officer that would remain in his record for several years. I told the super that if the Officer came to my office, apologized and voided the ticket I would consider the matter closed. He thanked me and I thanked him.

The officer showed up an hour later, apologized, asked for the ticket, I shook his hand and said thank you.

California dreamin' Array KatRider's Avatar
    Vancouver Island
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Good to see common sense prevail in the end.
    Work sucks -- let's go riding!