and erased

Thread: and erased

06 CBR600RR, 07 CRF150R and erased

the servers (main and backup) for a forum i'm on got hacked and completely erased today. they are planning to rebuild but everything was lost. imagine that? there's alot of history and technical information on this website, to be lost at the hand of some bitter internet geek. craziness!

pronounced as-wee-pay Array effenay's Avatar
    Not to rub salt in the wounds, but shouldn't someone have kept offline backups in case of a disaster like this?

Most people would be surprised to know how insecure the average web server is. Add to this the inexperience of your typical server admin and you have a house of cards just waiting to be taken down.

In any case, it's sad to hear that someone would be petty enough to do this.

Bassterd hackers

Damn... poor Robert Basil's got some issues.... Too bad there's no offsite storage. i.e. tapes, cd's.... This will be a big loss to the riding community without the two sites. I'm sure BCSB has better backup/redundancy please!

Registered User Array Miteorite's Avatar
    Richmond, BC
    that's shitty.
    keep the backups where they are only accessible to you.
    this doesn't only apply to big sites, applies to everyone's mail, ms document files and your personal pictures as well.

I wish.
    I can't imagine running a large forum and not having offsite backup. That's far too risky. Even if it wasn't 'hacked', imagine the HD just failing? Sounds like he had a backup server as well, but it's always good to have redundancy.

BCSB- Administrator

1990 kan-o-tuna
    This sucks. But if he or his provider didn't backup nightly they were asking for it.
    There is more than hacking that can go wrong.
    Data corruption, operator error, hard drive and or server failure or sabotage by bad employees.
    Backup servers only good for incase the main one goes of line, not to be actually relied on as a fail safe. What if they had a fire in the server room?
    One can’t stress enough of making sure you have a good off line storage of your data.

Still sucks though.

Registered User Array SpideRider's Avatar
    Fraser Valley
    Shitty deal.
    Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battlefield
    Sparring speed is a matter of simple physics:
    The height of your flight is inversely proportionate to the mass of your ass.