Thread: bargaining?

a question for all who has bought a used bike through a private sale. How much have you tried talking down the price? Say a bike going for 8000 obo.

2. Remove Advertisements

Try roughly around 7500

It depends on a lot of factors. If you find anything wrong with the bike, find out how much it will cost to fix it, and try to talk it down from there using the quoted figures (for example "that ripped seat will cost be 200 bucks to fix, so therefore I'll pay 7800). This may work or may not depending on whether or not the seller has already adjusted the price.

Many just come up with an arbitrary number, one they saw in the paper that day. Also, ask why they are selling the bike. If they need cash quickly, they may negotiate better. Some people just list, and take the attitude that "hey if i get what i want for it, then i'll sell". Those people aren't worth the time or effort IMO.

Hope that helps!

2006 GSXR 750
    It also depends on the alternatives available and how realistic they were with their asking price.

If everybody else is selling the same bike, same year, same mileage, mint condition for $1,000 less, than knock at least $1,000 off right away. But, if it's already priced fairly, then there's less room for negotiation.

The Mighty One
    It's hilarious talking to some of my friends about stuff like that. They'll be telling me about a bike/car/whatever that they're looking at and they throw absolutely rediculous offers at people. Every situation's different. Some bikes are a lot of money. It's stupid not to do your homework before you go to buy. Figure out a ballpark value of what it's worth and look at a lot of that particular bike. I wouldn't be shy at all to offer even a $1000 less than the asking price if it's out of line but I'd also be willing to pay the asking price or just a few hundred less if it's a good deal. I don't know if it's just my way of thinking but when I sell something I usually try to ask exactly what I want for it. I hate that OBO bullshit......wastes my time.

Langley, BC
    None right now...
    Start with the Black- or Blue-book pricing. Add some for any special features of the bike, like any aftermarket parts. Subtract some for any damage or accident history. For example, there's a 1996 VFR for sale on here now, it was posted in the last day or two. The asking price is 6500. The KBB price is $5500. The bike has a Givi monokey rack and hard trunk bag, but has 57,000km. So without going to see it, i'd consider $5800 as a starting point (KBB price, plus some for the GIVI bag and hardware). If I looked at it and it was impeccably clean and had no history of damage, i'd consider getting up to $6000, but no higher for that mileage.
    My Picasa Album

I'm hungry... Array tackle_me_2's Avatar
    BMW F800ST
    I've heard the "rule of the game" is to start by taking 30% off the offer $5,600 to start. That sounds low to maybe offer $6,500, but I wouldn't pay more than $7,200 for it.

If my bike is worth $7,200, I'll ask for $8,000 to start. If my bike is worth $7,500, I'd ask for more than $8k to start. That's just the nature of the human mind...IMHO. So when someone says "xxx, OBO", just make an offer. If it's too low, they'll let you know, and give you a chance to counter it.

If someone were to offer me 30% less than my asking price, I would never email them back or ever even consider them as a buyer again. -30% is not a serious offer.

Unregistered User Array greenboy's Avatar
    You might be surprised. Your objective is to pay as little as possible, that's what free market negotiating is all about. No shame in stating exactly what you are willing to pay. If it's too low for the seller, he can simply refuse. No science to it, and no blood spilled.

As a seller, I have been low-balled by buyers looking for a bargain. I just said no thanks and moved on. I have never understood why some sellers get their noses all out of joint when they feel they are being low-balled.

On the other hand, try telling the seller in your first phone call the most you can go to is $x, and would it be waste of time, yours and his, to even look at the bike. The seller might appreciate that. But then you've limited yourself and from that point on you are just negotiating against yourself.

Mission, BC
    2004 R1, 2005 DL1000 V-Strom
    I consider 8 - 12% legitamit. So, for an $8000 bike take 8 - 12% off the price then offer that.

Best thing is to figure a price that YOU are willing to pay for a bike in such and such a condition, then find that bike. If the seller isn't comfortable with that price look elsewhere.
    Reformatted to fit your screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo
    If someone were to offer me 30% less than my asking price, I would never email them back or ever even consider them as a buyer again. -30% is not a serious offer.

Most bikes for sale are selling for a lot less than there worth....Im selling my bike for alot less than I paid thats for sure...with the money I put into it ...Im taking a big loss...Im sure most people are in the same boat...low ballers get no reply from me either !! Theres so many bikes for sale I think you will get a deal no matter what you buy.

Meet you on Sedna! Array MaverickPrince's Avatar
    well put greenboy.

it always takes two to tango in any case so every situation can be different. but sure, buyers try to save and sellers try to maximize their $$. anything goes i say.
    3... 2... 1... Blast off, baby!

All-weather biker. Array
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid72
    Most bikes for sale are selling for a lot less than there worth....Im selling my bike for alot less than I paid thats for sure...
    A bike is worth is only what someone is willing to pay for it. Yes, you can take a loss when you paid the retail price but that does not mean it is worth any more than what you can get for it on the open market. Now you may think that it should be worth more, but that's supply and demand.