BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Brake problem

499 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  mechmike 
#1 ·
I just replaced my rear pads on my 1989 CBR 600, while the pads were out i depressed the brake pedal to see how the pistons moved and it appears the one moves much faster/farther than the other, i also noticed this in pad wear on the old pads... now im thinking this means i should rebuild the caliper... any opinions?

#4 ·
One will always move easier than the other. Try holding back the easy one and if you need more than a few ounces of push before the other side moves than a good cleaning or a rebuild wouldn't hurt.

Try extending the pistons to a point where you can see clean sidewalls and clean the gunk off the exposed parts that need it. Just don't go so far that they pop out of the seals. A blast or two of brake cleaner won't hurt either. A thin wipe of brake fuild on the newly cleaned sidewalls of the pistons will hep lube them for the pushback. A good flush and pump them in and out a few times and you may just avoid the need for a strip and rebuild. I freed up a couple of the stickier pistons in both my race bike and the Green Meanie this spring using this technique.

And if you blow it :D and pop out a piston then the system obviously needed rebuilding anyway. Just be sure the pads are safely out of the way before things get messy.

#5 ·
Like said above it sounds like a stuck caliper piston (since the caliper is stationary). You could likely do it yourself for really cheap, less than $30 I bet. I would think that the chrome would be still good on the pistons so all you need is some seals and some brake fluid. Take it all apart and clean up all the pieces in hot water and dish soap take a good look at the chrome surface that the seal rides on and if it's pitted in any way it should be changed. Make sure all the water is off and coat the seals and pistons with brake fluid and assemble and of course bleed. At no time use any type of oil base cleaners or grease!!! Very important!!! There are special assembly lubes for brake systems but thay are rarely used and not normally necessary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.