race gloves???

Thread: race gloves???

back on the street Array lowlife's Avatar
    2008 GSXR 750 (race only), 2015 Ninja 1000 (street)

race gloves???

Looking to buy some new gloves for next season, just wondering what people look for, specifically when buying race gloves. Are there any requirements for tech and/or special materials I should look for? thanks.
    WMRC #97
    EMRA/CMRA #97

2. Remove Advertisements

im sure i read you need leather gloves for racing

taichi gp evos.. WWOOO they're SO nice. i wont buy anything else now. which sucks considering they retail for something like 369$. oh well.

WMRC Past Prez three time Array NFG's Avatar
    Yamaha RD350LC Race Bike (Sold!)/ Yamaha XS1100 /YSR 50 Street and Race / Two 50cc Pocket Bikes / Honda Z50/ Yamaha BWS 50 (Sold!) /Yamaha MX100/ Yamaha YZ250/ Husqvarna 430 / a few projects in parts....
    I'm one of the guys that do the "Gear Tech" at Mission so here's what you need to know.

-We look for gloves that are in good shape and or repair. No holes!
    -No MX, Welding, Boxing, gardening or MTB glove!. (There was a guy with welding gloves that raced a Harley at Westwood so stop your laughing!)
    -And last but the most important. You can not have a glove that when on shows any, and that means ANY, skin between you glove and leathers.

Armour and attachment systems are for now a matter of personal taste. But as with most things in life that could change. I would say that you would be wise to get the best "Race " style glove that you can. Better yet get a few pair. Shit happens (rain, lost, crash and tear, etc....)
    Last edited by NFG; 08-27-2004 at 11:29 PM.
    Stefan Medlicott
    NFG Racing

"I guarantee that it will start, and I guarantee that it
    will blow up. I cannot guarantee the time between those two events."

"....those who go for broke often get there...."

"Buy in Haste, Repent at Leisure."

The Mighty One
    I personally like any of the carbon knuckle mid-range gloves. I've got a set of Technic Silverstones that have been through 3 years riding and 8 crashes and the only damage to my hands wouldn't have been prevented by the gloves. Good buy and cheap. I see ugly colors on ebay for $30 USD - usually green.

I'd go for anything somewhat higher end in the cheap brands, hard knuckles, good leather and good fit.

Canon 1ds3 1d4
    i buy whatever catches my eye and fits decently. nothing worse than a hand going raw, or going to sleep.

i also look for kangaroo skins, and where the amrour is placed and what type it is
    my last gloves didnt have the best armour, but they fit well and lasted a long time, teknic violators (not hte pro)

my new gloves are alpinestars gp tech.... lets see how they fair.

Jackie Chan's stuntdouble Array Motorcycle Man's Avatar
    CBR600 F4
    Definitely get the kangaroo leather palms; it gives much better feel for the controls.

2011 VStrom 650, 1983 KZ750, 2006 WR450, and any racebike I can get my hands on!!
    Quote Originally Posted by thrills
    taichi gp evos.. WWOOO they're SO nice. i wont buy anything else now. which sucks considering they retail for something like 369$. oh well.
    Ya, I have those. Once you wear them, you feel vulnerable wearing your old ones! Everytime I step up, I wonder how I survived crashes with those old Fox racing gloves with the metal studs I started racing with. My carbon knucled ones have been switched to 'going to work' gear.
    I figure I only have to need them once and they'll pay for themselves. $200 buys okay stuff, looks good, so what's another $100 or more to get real protection?
    chicken strips are a sign of intelligence
    unless you're at the track ;)

DO IT!