Leather allergies?

Thread: Leather allergies?

The Land of Milk and Chutney
    '04 FZ6

Leather allergies?

Has anyone here experienced allergies to their leather gear? I've been having mild, but annoying, reactions to certain leather parts of the gloves I have (Belstaff and Joe Rocket). I end up with red itchy areas on my hands that correspond to different sections of leather on the gloves. I think rain and sweat aggravates this condition. I don't have any other allergies that I'm aware of.

I've been reading on the net that certain leather tanning or water-proofing formulas can cause allergic reactions in peoples skin. I've written to the manfacturers for any help they can offer. In the meantime I have a 5 day motorcycle trip to Washington and Oregon coming up in a couple of weeks. Riding all day is going to be aggravating as hell if this problem can't be solved.

Any suggestions (other than, "leave the leather thong at home?")
    Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee

2. Remove Advertisements

Jackie Chan's stuntdouble Array Motorcycle Man's Avatar
    CBR600 F4
    You could try a different brand of gloves. The top brands might be less likely to cause problems for you.

In hell
    Big and slow
    If you can't figure it out in time why not get a pair of super thin under gloves like they sell at MEC? I was originally thinking of latex but that would be too hot I think.