BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Low beam keeps burning out

942 views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  jako 
G
#1 ·
I replaced my stock bulb (which put yellow light and wasn't very bright) with a generic superwhite bulb. Like $12. My friend has the identical bulbs in his bike, a '96 YZF 600 and he's had no problems. I'm on my second one because the first one had the low beam burn out. This time I kept it on high beam most of the time and last weekend I went to put it on low beam and it was burned out again. It's the same wattage rating as the stock... 60/55... on a 1992 CBR 600.

#2 ·
How long has the low been lasting? Can you put the stock one back in? If it does it to the stock I'd think to look at maybe ..?... vibration of the light?, voltage drop in the low side wiring? check it with a meter if you can at the bulb plug (but it may not do it all the time), If you said other bulbs have gone I'd say overchargeing. Maybe others will be of more help. Good luck

#3 ·
cruiser78 said:
I replaced my stock bulb (which put yellow light and wasn't very bright) with a generic superwhite bulb. Like $12. My friend has the identical bulbs in his bike, a '96 YZF 600 and he's had no problems. I'm on my second one because the first one had the low beam burn out. This time I kept it on high beam most of the time and last weekend I went to put it on low beam and it was burned out again. It's the same wattage rating as the stock... 60/55... on a 1992 CBR 600.
Hey,

when your light is working, are you happy with the bightness of the aftermarkets? Lordco is selling them for $40.00 a pair. $12 seems cheap, it could be a quality thing.

#4 ·
are you touching the lense of the blub? cuz that sometimes causes premature failure....my bulbs, on the car, have gone out faster because i touched the blubs once mistakenly...and don't bother with the $40 dollar crap, either go with PIAA or something expensive..or go with the cheap stuff..in reality, its almost the same, the cops are gonna pull you over for it.

#5 ·
Vashy said:
are you touching the lense of the blub? cuz that sometimes causes premature failure....my bulbs, on the car, have gone out faster because i touched the blubs once mistakenly...and don't bother with the $40 dollar crap, either go with PIAA or something expensive..or go with the cheap stuff..in reality, its almost the same, the cops are gonna pull you over for it.
If the bulbs say their DOT compliant will the cops still give you a VI?

#6 ·
Vashy said:
are you touching the lense of the blub? cuz that sometimes causes premature failure....my bulbs, on the car, have gone out faster because i touched the blubs once mistakenly.
That is most likely the case.

Although, aftermarket bulbs always burn out faster, but if you touch the bulbs you get oils from your grubby little fingers on the lense and that heats up faster than the rest of the bulb and causes them to burn out.

wear gloves or something when you change them, I'm willing to bet that your problem comes from touching the lense.

#7 ·
I agree with J Scott. I did the same thing a few years back on my car. Accidentally touched the lens and poof! thing blows after a few days. If you think you touched it, dab some rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball and clean it off.

#8 ·
...BEFORE you turn it on the first time. After that it's too late.

I found that the system voltage on my F2 runs pretty high. Typically close to 15 volts. This is NOT standard for most vehicular systems but it does seem typical for many Honda models. It may be that this extra voltage is what is burning out your bulbs. But given the lack of use with the low beam in the second try it sure sounds more like it's vibration related. Perhaps a different brand of bulb would be more vibration tolerant. And yes you do get more vibration tolerance when you buy the higher priced options.

#10 ·
Higher stressed or cheaper bulbs die faster. I get about half
the life from the 80/100's I run compared to the 55/60's.
Say 6 months compared to a year.

Fortunately I can replace them just reaching under the
fairing, don't have to remove anything. It's good to have small
hands sometimes. :)

G
#11 ·
The thing is, my friend has the identical bulbs in his and he's been running them all summer no problem.

Nope, I didn't touch the bulb and if I had, the bulb glass would deform and neither high or low would work.

It could be vibration... and the fact that I've been wheelieing lots since I put in the new bulbs. It's dropped down pretty hard as I've been learning to shift while wheelieing.

It's not too big a deal too me 'cuz on Sat. I'm buying a '02 CBR954. :D

#12 · (Edited)
jako said:
Hey,

when your light is working, are you happy with the bightness of the aftermarkets? Lordco is selling them for $40.00 a pair. $12 seems cheap, it could be a quality thing.
i had a problem with mine too, stock ones burnt out, bought the cheap superwhite ones from a bike shop cause i didnt want to spend 100 bucks for one bulb on piaas superwhite, then they burnt out and i got pissed off with bike shops and went to lordco, even though they are a rip off dont spend more than $40 bucks for one (low and high)piaa superwhite but garanteed the superwhite makes a huge difference and they have not burnt out yet (about7000kms) NOTHING BOTHERS ME MORE THAN A BURNT OUT LIGHT, looks ghetto, not cool ghetto, more like crackhead sell your ass for crack and then forget the crack and bus fare and walk home ghetto.......... :2cents

#13 ·
bigL said:
i had a problem with mine too, stock ones burnt out, bought the cheap superwhite ones from a bike shop cause i didnt want to spend 100 bucks for one bulb on piaas superwhite, then they burnt out and i got pissed off with bike shops and went to lordco, even though they are a rip off dont spend more than $40 bucks for one (low and high)piaa superwhite but garanteed the superwhite makes a huge difference and they have not burnt out yet (about7000kms) NOTHING BOTHERS ME MORE THAN A BURNT OUT LIGHT, looks ghetto, not cool ghetto, more like crackhead sell your ass for crack and then forget the crack and bus fare and walk home ghetto.......... :2cents
So, your happy with the 40 buck Lordco ones?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.