Looking for boots and pants

Thread: Looking for boots and pants

David

Looking for boots and pants

I can't decide what to do. Buy the pants first or the boots first.
    I would like to believe that one day I'll get out on the track, so do I buy a moderate boot now and upgrade later? Or do I go all the way now and get the ultimate boot? I'm thinking that a cheap boot will be okay and that I don't necessarily need to pay for name. Do I really need hard plastic ankle protection, shin and ankle protectors. Are the outside toe pieces neccesary? I'm thinking that just the re-enfoced leather models are sufficient. Am I wrong? So many choices. I'm hoping some of you will share your experience with boots and maybe give me an idea what to buy.
    Last edited by David; 07-08-2002 at 08:00 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

'04 R1 - You are mine! Array FloMan's Avatar
    Bike
    Yes please! Oh! That wasn't a question?
    My thoughts...
    You say that "one day you'll get out on the track"...and if I am not misunderstanding you, you mean you're not ready yet for for it for whatever reason. In that case you don't need to buy a boot that is geared to pro's. Get and entry level pair as you'll most likely wear them out by the time you'll get to the track and will require a new pair. Then you can up grade. Even if you get to the track this season, you won't reach your racing top potential in the first few months...
    “Your failure to be informed does not make me a wacko.”
    -John Loeffler

“The truth will set you free, but first it will make you sick.”
    -Unknown

Corner Carver
    Get the boots first!

You will look very strange with pants and no boots. You don't need to be on the track to need pants, a slide at 60kmh will shred jeans in milliseconds.

Burnaby Kawi has a great starter boot (Style Martin) for the best price around, talk nice and you can get them for $200, plain black - not flashy.

David
    Good points, thanks. In my own crashes in jeans and running shoes, I scratched up my ass a bit but ground down my ankle. In another case I saw a rider crash and lose both shoes.This makes me inclined to buy the boot first. (Or maybe its cause I can afford the boots now and I don't want to wait for the pants)
    But something in the back of my mind is telling me to save and get the pants first. What I'm trying to tap into you guys for is your experiences with, what you feel what was the most important: the pants or the boots.

Bluestone
    you could get a pair of textile pants AND good boots (styl martins) from BK for $400. THat's what i did and i'm considering taking my styl martins onto the track....my first time at least.
    I lowsided while wearing both the pants and the boots and i didn't even realize i had fallen until i had slid a couple of meters first. It was a very slow leaning right handed switchback kind of turn so i was going about 30km max but even then i had a bit of wear and tear on the ankle and on the knees. It was almost cofortable sliding on the ground but had i been in jeans....

once you start riding in full gear, be it textile or leather, you will never feel right riding in less again.
    Peace of mind alone is worth another cm or two off your chicken strips.

Oh, and check your PM. i might have something for you.

Geo
    Boots first, Dave.

IMO, get the best you can afford. I did just what you are thinking off at the start of last year. I bought ok boots figuring I would upgrade when/if I needed to. Well, I bought my second pair of boots (good ones, I feel so much safer in these) 3 months later. Now I have paid for 2 pairs, false economy I say.

BTW, after the duffy lake trip, what makes you think you only need that protection at the track?

David
    Good info guys
    BTW, after the duffy lake trip, what makes you think you only need that protection at the track?
    George,
    not by any means do I think this. The reason why I mention the track is cause there, I have to spend top dollar or after every crash I'll be replacing everything. Its sorta like what you say early in your post. Spend the money now to save money later. I can get away with 'one crash' items on the street but not on the track. I think I'm getting closer to where it is I want to be. Truth is, I think I've let this 'poser' atitude get to me somewhat and, I never thought I was susceptable to others opinions. But I've been battling with myself thinking that " I am not good enough, or ride hard enough, to justify the purchase. Where actually the fact is, I'm not good enough to get away with not making the puchase. Candidly speaking, I have a great amount of respect for those who squeeze the performance out of there machines on the track. I think I'm afraid to supply myself with the false sense of security of gear before I get to the track- Fear- It'll cause me to ride too hard on the street. You've all helped me more than you know. Keep em coming. Thanx

Bike
    Big fat 1400cc pig XR650Rtard
    David,
    try and get both there are always pants for sale in the buy&sell consider used but don't cheap out on the boots[voice of experience talking, it hurt! ]
    what size foot are you ? i may have something used that will fit.

David
    42 Euro 8 1/2 Cdn

Bike
    Big fat 1400cc pig XR650Rtard
    Sorry mang,
    i'm size 11
    i'll ask my friends if they have any used gear they want to part with

glowing ghostie! Array gordopolis's Avatar
    Bike
    I have kids

Bike
    2000 R6 RaceBike..
    HEYA DAVE HOWS IT HANGING,

I bought a pair of Sidi Vertabra 2's not the full race version but a good boot none the less. under 400 beans just don't shop at rmd motorsport. the guys at Western power sports will cut you a deal. imo, buy the best you can afford now, break em in and remember that your riding with them not walkin in em. have had mine for a year and they are getting better with age and the parts are replacable too so if you do go down replacing them is no big $$$
    Life is like a beautiful woman, you just thinks its a bitch cuz it wont give you any.

G'd Up From the Feet Up Array FatGuyInSpeedos's Avatar
    Bike
    02 ZX7R, 98 XT-225 SM, 89 FZR 400 (Fucked)
    This really depends on your financial situation.

In my opinion, I would rather save up the money and buy good gear before anything else. ie, expensive bike, pipe, flashy do dads.

I would try to get both the pants and the boots.

If you can only really afford one right now...I would go with good quality pants and some used tough ass army or construction boots. The boots can be upgraded later when the money presents itself.

The money spent will seem a moot point should you ever require the protection of your gear. Can you really put a price on your fingers, toes skin etc?

Look around for some used stuff if you can't afford new. You can sometimes find wicked deals on used good quality gear that squids who have been scared shitless are looking to offload.

I don't give a shit about matching colours and appeasing the fashion police. I would rather wear some buttfuck ugly leathers that are good quality putting around on an old pos cafe racer then some flashy new cheap garbage that merely serves to look good on the latest and greatest road rocket.

The peace of mind of wearing good gear makes for a much more enjoyable ride than does looking good IMHO.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no safety Nazi. I will often ride in my jeans and LJ for convenience when commuting. I just thought I'd give my two cents on gear.

/FGIS
    Last edited by FatGuyInSpeedos; 07-09-2002 at 07:46 PM.

Geo
    Hey bud,

What I meant was I think there is more risk of injury crashing on the street than on the track. Vehicals coming at you, concrete barriers, cliffs, shit like that. In a street crash I would think there is a better chance of impact where as a track crash will more likely mean sliding.

Hey, I am over later next week, wanna go for an evening ride?

David
    Hey, I am over later next week, wanna go for an evening ride?
    Yes, which day?