Surface rust

Thread: Surface rust

Old Dirty Bastard Array masonjarz's Avatar
    White Rock
    2008 Honda XR650L

Surface rust

I just bought a used bike.

A few of the chrome cam cover bolts and some of the small chrome pieces (foot brake, etc) have a little bit of surface rust.

Does anyone have a remedy?

2. Remove Advertisements

Registered User Array audiophile's Avatar
    04 Yamaha R6
    pull em out and start scrubbin with steel wool.

your girlfriend
    if they are rusty, just replace them. you can scrub them up now, but eventually the oxidizing comes back..... besides, girls don't like guys with rusty nuts

Generic Turtle Wax Chrome polish( sold at walmart for like 3-4$) will take a lot of it off. Have to use your judgement. if its just light surface shit that probably hasn't been cleaned in years, just use the polish on a rag and maybe go over it once in 6 months. if surface is seriously rusty/pitted chrome then either replace or sand and paint.

WMRC Past Prez three time Array NFG's Avatar
    Yamaha RD350LC Race Bike (Sold!)/ Yamaha XS1100 /YSR 50 Street and Race / Two 50cc Pocket Bikes / Honda Z50/ Yamaha BWS 50 (Sold!) /Yamaha MX100/ Yamaha YZ250/ Husqvarna 430 / a few projects in parts....
    So what did you buy? FZR400 you spoke of or some other sportbike of note?

Why not post up some pictures of the rust problem areas and lets see what we are working with. As Greeneyes stated you could always sand them down and paint them. Might as well start customizing now, we all do it. That way you get what you want.
    Stefan Medlicott
    NFG Racing

"I guarantee that it will start, and I guarantee that it
    will blow up. I cannot guarantee the time between those two events."

"....those who go for broke often get there...."

"Buy in Haste, Repent at Leisure."

That new bike smell Array mondocycle's Avatar
    I have had good luck that CLR product for surface rust.
    Log off and ride.
    Acta Virum Probant

Out to pasture in the 'Wack
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    One thing to bear in mind is that surface rust on chrome is not just surface rust. Chrome is pourous and when you see a bloom of rust it means there is a pore in the chrome that is exposing the steel underneath and it's THAT steel that's rusting and staining the chrome. I've had good luck using Turtle Wax chrome polish to remove the stains and it seems to block the pores from further rusting. Waxing the chrome in these cases is a good idea too as the wax helps seal the pores and prevents the water from getting to the steel and repeating the rusting stains bit.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Registered User Array
    In your dreams
    S100 Polish. Takes surface rust off and polishes the chrome at the same time.