light changer for bikes

Thread: light changer for bikes

Registered User Array Jester666's Avatar
    Bike
    1966 Honda Dream305 1976 Honda CB550

Traffic light changer for bikes

Hi everyone!
    I found this cool device on ebay, and wonder if anyone has any experience with something similar.
    Seems like a cool idea, but does it work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
    Last edited by Jester666; 09-13-2004 at 12:40 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    Rhubarbed.....RIP GPZ
    This is nothing more that a glorified magnet with a zapstrap. IMO Looks to small to be effective on some loop configurations.

Bike
    2005 CBR 600RR
    You could save alot of time and frustration if you do what I've learned.

RUN THE LIGHT.

Danimal
    Or do a stoppie right on the sensor....works for me

Bike
    N/A Supermoto:
    well like was said it is a strong magnet with a zap strap is all it is .
    Lights a triggered by disrupting the magnetic field. It worked for me as my SM was not enough metal to trigger it .. But if you call the city they will boost the sensor as so that your bike will trigger it .. I had a light right at my place that would not trip but once I got the magnet and mounted it to the bottom of my bike it did . I lost it while blasting some off road stuff and so I called the city and the boosted the sensor and now it trips right away .. If you want to make a light trip with your bike do this .. one is a circle on the road and the other is a diamond shape. drive your bike as so that it is on the side of ethier one not in the middle and that works for the most part ..
    look where you want to go even if there's no chance in hell of actually getting there..

Bike

traffic tripper

ok Thanks for input.
    Seems like a convenient thing to have, my main concern was wether or not it actually did anything

Beer League Racer/Asshole Array SnoDragon's Avatar
    Bike
    MTS1200S
    If you crack open a computer hard drive, there are some super strong magnets (and I mean SUPER STRONG) that are located on the actuator motor for the arms. I'm sure you could make up your own device to do the same thing.

Bike
    Good point, I'll give it a shot.
    i wonder if something like that should be shielded from one side, not to affect electronics of the bike.. Though I think the magnet would have to be like Magnetl(xmen) strong to impact the onboard or anything.
    input?

West Koots, I'm here.... Array flyfishinwoman's Avatar
    Bike
    a few toys
    Like someone already said, the loops in the road operate on the EMF principle. The tar circle, or diamond is covering a little trench with wires in it. A length of wire is looped around the diamond or cirlce, then feeds back to the traffic controller. A current is fed into this wire, creating an Electro Motive Force (basic electricity). When a vehicle with metal mass is on the loop or cirlce, the metal mass interrupts the wire's EMF, at which point the traffic controller senses the interruption. The traffic controller computer then inputs that a vehicle is at the intersection, and the light will change according to the controller's program.

If you put your bike on the edge of the loop or diamond, you are putting more of the metal mass across the EMF of the wires in the loop. For most intersections, this will be enough, but there are some that need the sensitivity of the controller turned up to allow smaller vehicles like motorcycles and bicycles to be sensed. As already stated, if your bike will not trigger the signal, complain to the city and they should send someone to tune it.

In other words, don't bother sending in your money, if you encounter a signal that doesn't work properly then let the appropriate authority know. Most of the signals around here work ok for bikes as long as you position your bike on the loop to cut the most EMF (the corner of the diamond or across the arc of the circle).
    Back in BC, yay!!!
    2010 Yamaha Vstar 950
    250 Saga Dual-sport
    AC quad
    BCSB #712
    WMRC #747 (2005)

Bike
    I usually try to stop on the edge of the sensor, and you guys are right-sometimes they work, most times they don't.
    I'm thinking it'd be worth getting the little gizmo just for convenience sake.
    Easier than calling the city every time my light won't change..