Bluetooth Helmets
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bluetooth Helmets

Bike
    2006 GSXR 750

Exclamation Bluetooth Helmets

Motorola and Momodesign today announced a bluetooh helmet.. interesting..

"The Motorola wireless helmet headset also will be available as an aftermarket kit. The kit, containing the helmet adapter (microphone, speaker, cover), Bluetooth headset module, lanyard and charger, would easily attach to a consumer's own helmet with the included strong 3M adhesive. Both solutions are universal, making them compatible with any Bluetooth enabled handset.

Availability is expected in early Q1 2005"

full article: http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/...990_23,00.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array SpideRider's Avatar
    Bike
    Interesting, but dangerous, IMHO. I sure as shit don't need to be answering calls or anything else except concentrating on riding while I'm riding. While cool, I personally would pass on this.
    Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battlefield
    -----
    Sparring speed is a matter of simple physics:
    The height of your flight is inversely proportionate to the mass of your ass.

Bike
    2006 GSXR 750
    yes.. dangerous.. but you can pull over just like in a car.. you just don't have to remove your helmet etc.

Bike
    sumfing nekkid
    Quote Originally Posted by SpideRider
    Interesting, but dangerous, IMHO. I sure as shit don't need to be answering calls or anything else except concentrating on riding while I'm riding. While cool, I personally would pass on this.
    :werd:
    Ride in peace my friends...

Being a road crayon sucks....put your gear between you and the pavement.

WTD: Hot girls with low morals. Own transportation a plus. Sufferers of yellow fever considered first. PM/email me for details.

No bike for now... Array Betamax's Avatar
    Bike
    Honda Civic
    bluetooth is one of those technologies that was supposed to change everything but it turns out no one gives a crap.

RMR
    One of my favorite things about riding.....is the fact that I CAN'T hear my phone ring....

Last thing in the world i want to do when riding is get a freakin phone call.....I hate cell phones...

Bike
    I'm just here for the intelligent conversation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Betamax
    bluetooth is one of those technologies that was supposed to change everything but it turns out no one gives a crap.

I disagree. I love it, and people in my industry use it all the time.

Worst. Passenger. Ever. Array ace`'s Avatar
    Bike
    Blue
    ericsson is shutting down their bluetooth division - that doesnt bode well for the future of bluetooth. as a consumer technology that was supposed to be transparent and easy to use, i think it was a massive failure on that end.

Bike
    2006 GSXR 750
    Quote Originally Posted by Betamax
    While I agree so far, Bluetooth has not proliferated like "everyone" thought. However, it is gaining traction and the technology has many beneficial applications. Whether we will have Bluetooth or another type of wireless technology, the wireless revolution is upon us. Previously it was just too early. It's like the fuel cell.. eventually it WILL happen but right now it's too early.. ie no infrastructure to support it.. etc. The dynamics for bluetooth or other wireless technologies are obviously different because you don't need a tonne of hydrogen fuel stations to make it feasible.. but similarly.. it was too early in the game. Doesn't mean anything about the future though.

edit: about Ericsson, that's not entirely correct. They are ceasing product development as product development will be left to companies who license the technology.
    Last edited by JamieJames; 09-14-2004 at 11:57 AM.

Bike
    None right now...

Photo

If the helmet didn't look like butt (picture attached), I might be interested. But personally I want a wireless headset to listen to music with, not to talk on the phone with.

Of course, being a Momo helmet, it'll probably cost $3000 and be marketed exclusively through stores that sell "hello kitty" dolls for Honda Civic dashboards.
    ---
    My Picasa Album

... as in "off my bike?" Array Fell's Avatar
    Bike
    YZF600R
    Ericsson's Bluetooth division is being integrated into their Mobile Platforms division. They're by no means giving up on the technology. Heck, it's finally just starting to be useful.

http://www.ericsson.com/bluetooth/ne...on=spec&id=629

The only thing about Bluetooth that is dying is the hype, and that's probably going to help save Bluetooth, not hurt it. Living up to hype is hard, especially when they hype was that Bluetooth was going to "change everything." Come on, it's basically just a standard designed to replace wires between computers and peripherals. How could "change everything" even if it suceeds?

Back on topic, I'll probably keep an eye on that helmet headset. I'd like to see how usable it is when complete. Like others, I don't want to get in to the habit of talking and riding, but not having to remove your helmet when pulled over to answer the phone would be excellent.

... as in "off my bike?" Array Fell's Avatar
    Bike
    YZF600R
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike
    If the helmet didn't look like butt (picture attached), I might be interested. But personally I want a wireless headset to listen to music with, not to talk on the phone with.

Of course, being a Momo helmet, it'll probably cost $3000 and be marketed exclusively through stores that sell "hello kitty" dolls for Honda Civic dashboards.
    There's a universal kit too that adapts to any helmet, so you don't have to buy the Moomoo. (see the last paragraph of the article, also quoted by JamieJames in the original post.)

Bike
    2006 GSXR 750
    Also, one thing I'd be curious about.. is if this headset could also bypass the phone. For example, if a group of riders all have the same headset, the headsets should be able to connect via bluetooh directly.

Bike
    None right now...
    [QUOTE=Fell]Come on, it's basically just a standard designed to replace wires between computers and peripherals. How could "change everything" even if it suceeds?{/quote]
    Hence the problem. I've had two organizers with bluetooth, and have connected both of them to my computer so I could synchronize wirelessly. Which is 100% useless as a feature. If i'm standing next to my computer anyway, I want a wired connection, because it means I can recharge the batteries at the same time i'm syncing. Bluetooth means I can't recharge, and not only that, the batteries get drawn down even faster.

Bluetooth's strength is connecting small, portable devices over short distances. Organizer (or cell phone) to headset, MP3 player to remote control, Organizer to Cell phone, etc. For anything else, Wi-Fi makes more sense anyway, and is already more common.

Bluetooth is the BetaMax of the wireless world, Wi-Fi is the VHS.
    ---
    My Picasa Album

Newbie Poser Squid Array bafflebrain's Avatar
    Bike
    bad, m'kay?
    Call me a geek but I got BT on my cell, PDA and laptop for my daily commute. Who need to lug around endless number of power adapters and sych cables or relying on IR to line up.

I am looking to get a BT GPS and BT keyboard for my PDA next. Should work great on the bike.

BTW, compating BT to WiFi is apples to oranges.
    "It's not my fault your slow!"