BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Snell certifications

615 views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  Titus 
#1 ·
I have a Suomy Spec 1-R that I brought to an autoX event recently and was told that because it didn't have "Snell" (it has DOT and some other british cert. that was "supposedly" better than Snell), I can't use the helmet. My question is, would I be able to find a Snell sticker from the shop that sold me my helmet or some Suomy to put in because they claimed that the certifications Suomy uses is actually better than Snell? Anyone know of any way around this? I hate to drop more money for another helmet that I won't use.... Thanks

G
#2 · (Edited)
Snell stickers are strictly sold to the helmet manufacturers only.

The British standard is the BSI standard, which is similar to Snell. I wouldn't go so far as to say it is better or even comparable, but it does have one perceived advantage, batch testing vs random sample testing for quality control protection.

Snell uses a higher impact energy than the BSI standard requires. Appropriate impact energy levels are debatable, especially in the second-drop, but this can be argued about all day, even with questions of the Snell levels not being adequately high enough.

As far as autocross goes, fire retardant requirements and an allowable decreased visual field(30 degrees less)/increased coverage area are the only real differences between proper auto racing certified helmets and moto-specific helmets. A Snell SA2000 auto-racing certified helmet is more appropriate than the M2000 motorcycle requirements, but it sounds like they may not know the difference.

#3 ·
I see... wow thanks for the info, I take it you work for the Snell Foundation? =)
damn... so I guess it's time to look for a beater helmet....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.