Can I Chrome my Wheels?

Thread: Can I Chrome my Wheels?

Bros

Can I Chrome my Wheels?

Stupid question i'm sure, But can I chrome dip my wheels like a car? Has anyone done this or is it all aftermarket wheels. Anyone know how much it would cost?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    05 Gixxer 1000 LE Supermoto: 07 DRZ400SM Dirt: 09 Kawasaki KX450F Monster Ed. 07 Custom Chopper
    Of course you can... there are several places that will do it. I've seen a few that cost around 500 usd for 2 wheels.

Aftermarket wheels are spendy from 1300 USD to 3500 USD depending on what your looking for.
    Mayor Of "Poserville"

<----- Current Avatart Is *NWS*

Kawi=Junk™, Honda=Boring™, Suzuki=Wannabes™, Yamaha=Posers™, Ducati=Overrated™, Aprilia=Insecure™, BMW=Compensation™, Harley Davidson=Garbage™, Buell=See Harley™

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    NO! It's not allowed.......

Go to your room and no dessert for YOU!
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bike
    05 Gixxer 1000 LE Supermoto: 07 DRZ400SM Dirt: 09 Kawasaki KX450F Monster Ed. 07 Custom Chopper
    No dessert.... but I'd give ya 15,000 PVP points
    Mayor Of "Poserville"

<----- Current Avatart Is *NWS*

Kawi=Junk™, Honda=Boring™, Suzuki=Wannabes™, Yamaha=Posers™, Ducati=Overrated™, Aprilia=Insecure™, BMW=Compensation™, Harley Davidson=Garbage™, Buell=See Harley™

Registered User Array smoothopar8r's Avatar
    Bike
    k4 gsxr 750, Ducati PS 1000
    im planning on getting my wheels chromed sometime soon. polished items look ok right after theyve been done. u can definately see the difference between chrome and polished from a far. close up, polished parts look wavey and half assed. well imo.

Bike
    crf250r
    you do have to be carefull,i have seen some guys get there wheels back and the bearings no fit anymore.they just fall back in or out.talk to the plater before hand.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothopar8r
    im planning on getting my wheels chromed sometime soon. polished items look ok right after theyve been done. u can definately see the difference between chrome and polished from a far. close up, polished parts look wavey and half assed. well imo.
    A lot of the look depends on the plater as well. To do a nice job the casting roughness needes to be sanded off. Done well the plating looks like it was CNC'd but done poorly and it looks like a House o' Mirrors with astigmatism. Similarly a good polishing job can come out the same way. Done with the properley supported abrasives the aluminium can look like an optical mirror, done by someone with a flapper wheel and it looks like crap. But be warned that you'll pay a lot more for a PROPER prep job. Both polishing and chrome to look the same in the end require a good prep job. That's what costs. It's very labour intensive to do it right. From there it goes to the chrome tanks or back to you depending on the look you want.

The ONLY difference between chrome and polishing is the dipping and final buffing of the chrome. The prep work on the aluminium is the same.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.