Wcss/art
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wcss/art

Registered User Array
    Bike
    '81 Kawi KZ750

Wcss/art

Hey, I'm a first season rider and am thoroughly enjoying myself. I'm looking at taking the WCSS training to get some experience riding nearer to my limits in a controlled environment. Just two questions though. One, is 8000 klicks riding experience enough to give me enough of a base to work with so that this course will be worthwhile to me? Second, my bike is something less than a sportbike, it is relatively slow and heavy. Should I wait until I have a newer/lighter/more powerful bike to take the course?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Chadwick; 09-25-2004 at 04:15 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

keepin' it steel Array GuySmiley's Avatar
    Bike
    (^_^)
    8000kms is enough riding experience. I've seen people take the ART course using larger/heavier bikes before. For example: BMWs, Ducati Monster 620s, TLRs (Hi Mike ).

My advice: Take ART asap. You'll love it.
    Mr. Burns: "Remember Homer, there is no muscle stronger than the human heart."
    Homer: "What about the weiner? I saw some guy on TV lift a can of paint with his."

Bike
    SV track, VFR road
    I think you'll be waiting until next year for an ART course. If you think you'll be buying a different bike next season, you might want to wait until you have it. But, really, it's never too soon to improve your riding skills.
    "When in doubt accelerate.
    It may not help you avoid the problem,
    but it'll end the suspense."

WMRC #96 (retired)

Purevil is soooooo dreamy Array Flyin''s Avatar
    Bike
    00 Ninja, 02 F4i, 99 R6 Race, 04 R6 Race... ...now nuthin. :(
    As long as you don't have to mentaly think about how to change gears each time you shift you'll be OK. ART will improve your riding skills no matter what skill or cofidence level you are at. People learn at different rates so you can't ever tell by the kms you've ridden. Either way, once you have enrolled and done the class room session, you will be put into the group that will be best for your skill level. Newer calmer riders together and the wanna be racers in a different group.

As for the dates, look on www.westcoastsuperbikeschool.com in early 2005 or check out their booth at the bike show in January.
    Big Jim "There's really no excuse for you being a fucking wanker either, but you still carry on."
    Big Jim "STFU YFI"

Bike
    2008 Beemer (touring)
    I took the ART class last year with about 12,000 km riding experience under my belt (1.5 years) and had a gas. I learned a lot about how to handle my bike & what it could do. I rode my 2001 Bandit 600 S in the course, was the slowest out there, but still had a lot of fun.

Go for it!!
    Taking It to the Track

WMRC Racer #911 (retired)
    PCMRC Racer #911 (retired)

Bike
    2006 Honda CBR 600RR
    i probably took mine with around 3000kms experience Maybe less... was great!
    .()_()
    (o'.'o) Thanks to Twinbros Racing for my avatar!

Registered User Array ReelExterminato's Avatar
    Bike
    FZR
    Hey Kamui, just curious since I've seen you ride at Boundary Bay. What did you get out of the ART course that you wouldn't have from BB?

Bike
    2006 Honda CBR 600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by ReelExterminato
    Hey Kamui, just curious since I've seen you ride at Boundary Bay. What did you get out of the ART course that you wouldn't have from BB?
    I saw you out at BB too and you're pretty quick! I would say that WCSS's major benefit over boundary bay is the instruction. Out at boundary bay, say if you were new, you could go and try pushing your bike further than before, but realistically, you do not have any real instructors telling you if what you're doing is right or wrong. I think that JUST doing BB for newbies wont dramatically increase their learning curve.

At WCSS they go over quite a few things, and they do have a helmet cam system working, so you actually see how you ride and what you're doing. Go out for a session, come back and analyze what you're doing and what you can do differently. The instructors at WCSS have been doing this stuff for awhile, and not only can they ride well, they can teach too. Not everyone who can DO, can TEACH. Also, they do a few other drills like launching and hard braking.

One other thing i noticed at BB... seems like some people are getting false information. Last time, (I wont mention who he was), someone crashed and he told me he was trying to "TRAIL BRAKE". He tells me he was trying to use the rear brake to slide out the rear and drift into the turn. Right away I'm like, uh.. that's NOT trail braking, that's sliding out the rear. Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't trail braking applying the brakes into a turn all the way to the apex? It has nothing to do with sliding the rear! This can be pretty dangerous if relatively new riders are trying stuff like this. Unless you're riding a motard, this is like learning to run before you know how to walk.

I think the best way to go is to get a good foundation at WCSS and then go out to BB to practice and have fun. Marcin, you're not a newbie but I think that you can benefit from WCSS. If you take the race school, i'm sure Troy and gang can teach you what you want to learn.
    .()_()

Bike
    2008 Beemer (touring)
    Gary, I couldn't agree with you more... at WCSS you get instruction and that's the key. I've never been to BB but you're right - as far as I've heard there's no instruction at all.

I know when I took the ART course the videos sure did show how much I WASN'T doing (that I thought I was).

Marcin, seriously consider taking the ART course or the Racer Training course next year - you will notice a big improvement in your riding.
    Taking It to the Track

WMRC Racer #911 (retired)
    PCMRC Racer #911 (retired)

Bike
    FZR

Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies, guys. Yep, I definately want to take the race course next year so I can play out at Mission. The part about instruction makes sense. I've only been riding for just a bit over a year, so I do still feel like a newbie . I kinda feel like I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing out there. I forgot about the helmet cam part, that I am definately looking forward to. AFter wiping out twice, I'm afraid to lean it over, partly because I don't know how far I'm leaning, and how much further I can. Seeing a vid should help, and it'll be nice to get instructions on what to do, as opposed to tidbits of information here and there. Gary, is your bike scratched up enough to do the race course this spring? I think it's cheaper, $250, if youve already done ART

Bike
    2006 Honda CBR 600RR
    Thanks for the replies, guys. Yep, I definately want to take the race course next year so I can play out at Mission. The part about instruction makes sense. I've only been riding for just a bit over a year, so I do still feel like a newbie . I kinda feel like I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing out there. I forgot about the helmet cam part, that I am definately looking forward to. AFter wiping out twice, I'm afraid to lean it over, partly because I don't know how far I'm leaning, and how much further I can. Seeing a vid should help, and it'll be nice to get instructions on what to do, as opposed to tidbits of information here and there. Gary, is your bike scratched up enough to do the race course this spring? I think it's cheaper, $250, if youve already done ART
    I was planning on taking the race course next year, but not really planning to race at mission. I'm still undecided whether I will or wont take the course. My bike is scratched up yah haha, but i also got track skins which gives me some peace of mind. However, if i were to take the course, i'd do the second one and not the first... me no likey rain
    .()_()

StagnantWaterPo
    IMO It is Constructive Criticism that can help you out a lot. With anything really, and I believe the vids of yourself will really help you too. Anyone willing to take constructive criticism for what it is, and not get insulted will learn the fastest!

Purevil is soooooo dreamy Array Flyin''s Avatar
    Bike
    00 Ninja, 02 F4i, 99 R6 Race, 04 R6 Race... ...now nuthin. :(
    I think it's cheaper, $250, if youve already done ART
    I dunno about that...
    Big Jim "There's really no excuse for you being a fucking wanker either, but you still carry on."
    Big Jim "STFU YFI"

Bike
    04 ZX6R/91 BMW K75S
    My wife did the Mike Sullivan Race School this year with Action in September, and she only had 9000 km's under her belt. She rides a GS500E though, which is easy to control. I would say that as long as you are comfortable enough with the bike such that the controls are all intuitive, and you don't have to think about it to shift, turn, brake, etc., you're good to go.

And I concur with what everyone says. Playing follow the leader and being followed by Mark Kruger or Steve Dick really helps.

Bike
    FZR
    Q: If I have taken the Advanced Rider Training, is it necessary to take the complete Racer Training for the Track course in order to obtain a competition license?
    A: No, you will only need to complete the classroom session and the track instruction out at Mission Raceway to obtain your competition license. The cost is $250.00, which goes towards the extra instruction, your track day at Mission and the cost of your competition license. You may also attend the optional bike preparation session.

http://westcoastsuperbikeschool.com/FAQ.htm