BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

05 Yamaha R6

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  mosquito 
G
#1 ·
just saw the new and improved R6 for 05 very nice only seen it in red but very trick what they have done!
they should have done the under-tail -exhaust....well that is gonna be for next year......can't wait to ride one :roflmao

#4 ·
Yamaha has been smart to refine an already competitive machine (ie. inverted forks, stiffening the frame), and I'm glad to see they didn't just follow the crowd and give it an underseat exhaust. I like it on the 600RR and 1000RR, but aesthetically it doesn't work as well on the R1. Functionally, I'm not convinced that tucking up the exhaust to save from crash damage is a worthwhile tradeoff (excess heat that close to the rear suspension, etc.). Then again, I'm not a top-class racer who could properly distinguish and judge the merits and disadvantages between the two designs.

G
#6 ·
Looks pretty mean in black with the red on the rims. I'm a fan of undertail exhaust if it's done right, but for the street it's a compromise for storage space and heat. I can see why they didn't totally redesign it, it's already a proven design, so a few refinements are all that's needed to keep it competetive in supersport racing, and in the showrooms. Now who's going to give me one to race with next year?

#7 ·
The relay arms of the rear link-type suspension have been modified to match the new fork and to enhance suspension performance. The seat height of the new 2005 R6 has been increased by 10mm (0.4'') due to the changes in the suspension.
its werid..... the spec sheet still listed 820mm (32.3'') which is the height of 04 model !! Gotta try it if it makes a big difference.

#10 ·
as for performance with an undertail the only thing i can think of is that the bike would be more aerodynamic and some people claim that you would get more lean angle but i don't think people can lean that far without crashing, and leaning more doesn't neccessarily mean your going around the track faster... but the tradeoff is more weight... and as for my own theory is, with an undertail there are more bends in the whole exhaust system wouldn't you gain more HP and smoother exhaust flow with a straigther exhaust with less bends, isn't the point of a exhaust system is to eliminate as much exhaust flow as quickly as possible.... but by looking at how the 600rr was doing in worldsupersport i may be wrong

#11 ·
Krazy_j604 said:
as for performance with an undertail the only thing i can think of is that the bike would be more aerodynamic and some people claim that you would get more lean angle but i don't think people can lean that far without crashing, and leaning more doesn't neccessarily mean your going around the track faster... but the tradeoff is more weight... and as for my own theory is, with an undertail there are more bends in the whole exhaust system wouldn't you gain more HP and smoother exhaust flow with a straigther exhaust with less bends, isn't the point of a exhaust system is to eliminate as much exhaust flow as quickly as possible.... but by looking at how the 600rr was doing in worldsupersport i may be wrong

yeah...the less air restriction the better...but with the mandrel bend piping...it makes almost no difference from a straightpipe...cuz the size of the pipe at the bends is the same size all around...so the airflow is still smooth with extremely little restriction...if any...basically as good as a straight pipe...

I THINK haha...

#13 ·
racerboy88 said:
You lose some midrange I think b/c of the longer midpipe. You can correct that by going down a tooth on the front and up 2 on the rear I think.

other way around..the longer the pipe== more low and mid power (note: not physically more power, but it shifts the torque/power curve lower)

short pipes (straighter pipes) will give more top end, and usually suffer down low

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.