Serious learning curve question.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Serious learning curve question.

Question Serious learning curve question.

Hey everyone who has a couple seasons in them.

I have a big question, sort of anyway. I am planning on taking Action, but I believe I will not have the money for it until about January or February because it is actaully a graduation gift to me from a family member, and they are short on cash until this time. And I do not even think Action runs courses through the winter, hehe But, I was thinking, I am doing all my licencing now, and hopefully in about 2 weeks I am buying an ancient bike.
    And '87 250cc sport bike. I was planning on just dinking around on that for a few months to get some experience in me, just with low speed stuff under supervision of my neighbour. Do you think it would still be worth-while to take Action after, or say suggest another course? I know it all depends on my skill-set and frame of mind when the time comes. But I would appreciate the input.

Thanks a lot, Serious informative replies would be appreciated and not just the "Pro burn" Which seems to go around here

2. Remove Advertisements

Canon 1ds3 1d4
    i did just what you are, rode for 3 months or so before going to action... i thought i could ride before going, and i left knowing i was wrong and had a long way to go, deffinatly worth every cent :P

Mission, BC
    2004 R1, 2005 DL1000 V-Strom
    Quote Originally Posted by StagnantWaterPo
    Hey everyone who has a couple seasons in them.
    Do you think it would still be worth-while to take Action after, or say suggest another course? I know it all depends on my skill-set and frame of mind when the time comes. But I would appreciate the input.
    Hey Miguel,

I'm fairly local to you, and have a dozen or so years of experience.

If you're already familiar with how to ride (shifting, braking, turning) my advise is to go ahead with your plan, and to take the course after riding around with an experienced rider. You may gain more from the class with a bit of road time. Also, myself and a few other locals with experience can take you out for a few rides.

If you're not familiar with the above stated riding techniques, limit yourself to large, open, empty parking lots and practice swerving, braking, stopping etc.

Are you getting a Ninja 250??
    Reformatted to fit your screen.

No, I am getting an older Suzuki. But yea, I am liking this information. I kind of figured even if I ride say a few months on my own. That Action could still be very useful, break any bad habits I could be developing or compliment something I may be doing right. I am always thinking safety here, because I am well aware of what can happen.

So keep the good info a 'comin!

P.S. And yea, I am going to own the Parking Lots, lol!

Registered User Array SpideRider's Avatar
    Fraser Valley
    Definitely take a course. No question, best money spent on motorcycling thus far.
    Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battlefield
    Sparring speed is a matter of simple physics:
    The height of your flight is inversely proportionate to the mass of your ass.

Registered User Array Commuter Boy's Avatar
    Suzuki Bandit
    You're right on the button. No matter what your skill level, taking appropriate
    courses can clean out the cobwebs, fix bad habits, teach you something new.

And it doesn't hurt to sign up for the course in advance, the spring ones
    fill up quickly.

Devil's Advocate Array RoadBlur's Avatar
    The slums of new west
    Suzuki XV 2182
    Definitely something to be said for going in with a little bit of experience, if you can take your mind off of some of the most basic fundamentals you have that much more attention to give to the other things. I think they teach very well at Action so its not a problem either way, but it certainly can't hurt to go in with a little experience and probably some questions you've come up with on your own and maybe even an idea of what your weak points are so you can really pay extra attention to those.

Either way, kudos for planning to take a school . Money very well spent.

ps. Just make sure to properly gear up when you're out in the parking lot with your neighbor. Good boots, thick pants, a helmet of course, and a good jacket that can take some beating. And definitely gloves. Even at low speeds you can rash the fuck outta yourself so plan for the worst!
    -=Graduate: Dragon Driving School=-

Raise your pitch forks in the air, shake 'em like ya just don't care!

Yea, as of now I have a good Jacket, Helmet and Gloves. The boots and pants will come in time, which I don't like. But I can't financially help it at the time. But when I start going on the freeway or, over 60 km/h I am planning on getting the pants and boots too of course

Langley, BC
    None right now...
    I rode for two years before taking a course. Playing around, travelling on weekends, commuting, everything. I still thought the course was money well spent (although I went to BCSC instead of Action).
    My Picasa Album

it's yellow
    Miguel, I'll take slightly different view from all post above. While it makes sense to get some experience before going to Action you can build many bad habits. That would be pain to get rid of. As we are looking at winter you might be better off to pick up shop manual for your future cycle and get intimately familiar with what makes it tick. After you complete your lot training with Dat, Steve or Slow Mo you can start riding your bike and be confident that you are doing so the right way.

pedal commuter & gixxer
    Boots help a lot at low speed. Think car bumpers or bike falling over with your foot still roadside.
    Parking lot practice is good, I still do it when I get a chance.
    I believe the ICBC class 6 training manual gives you a bunch of exercises to work through.
    Low speed skills will get you through a lot of the frustration that many sport bike riders experience in traffic. Going fast is easy, until you go too hot into a corner; but slow stuff takes practice. Slow skills make traffic easy; traffic can be a good excuse to admire girls, architecture, whatever...

Registered User Array kamen rider's Avatar
    Area 604
    Action will also teach you skills to survive on the streets... stuff that may take years for someone learning on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by kamen rider
    Action will also teach you skills to survive on the streets... stuff that may take years for someone learning on their own.

I agree there with kamen.
    Its simple...Take the Action course, even more see if u can sign up for Dat Louie's classes, trust me its worth it, the skills i have learnt has saved me. At the end of the day its not just learning how to operate the bike, it is how to train yourself to be alive on the streets. And the school will teach you how to recognize those situtations faster...stay alive.

good luck

No bike for now... Array Betamax's Avatar
    Honda Civic
    I don't agree with waiting for lessons or waiting for full gear. Lots of people do it without incident, but lots of people crash too.

You're assuming that you won't have an accident in the meantime, but accidents are by nature accidental. You might be OK waiting but you might not; and if not might get seriously hurt or killed. You don't have to be going over 60 kph to have a fatal accident on a bike. Look at Christopher Reeves -- the poor guy got paralyzed riding a horse at a lot less than 60 kph.

IMO a basic riding course and gear are worth putting on credit if you don't have the cash. If you're lying in a hospital bed, thinking about the few bucks you saved on interest won't be much of a consolation.

Member #827 Array CrotchRocketeer's Avatar
    Bottom line, get all the experience you can, no matter what form it comes in. However, save the crashing experiences for later