• Yes

143 68.75%
  • No

65 31.25%
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Size limit on new riders?

Planet BC

Question Size limit on new riders?

Yes, I know this will be an emotional issue with the newer riders and some older ones as well. The question here is, should there be a engine size limit on new riders. Yes or no.

2. Remove Advertisements

Registered User Array
    2001 F4i
    I think the reason this is such an issue here is because it has been the way it is now for so long. Naturally most people around here are going to say no there shoudln't be, but if you talk to people from places such as the UK that already have laws like this most of them have nothing bad to say about it. I don't remember exactly how it works but I believe you have to have at least 3 years experience before you can even get a 600. I think that rule would be hard to change here and would certainly meet with plenty of opposition, but in countries where that's the only rule people have ever know I hear it works quite well.

I thought theirs was done by BHP? (like, 33 BHP) Coz they sell restrictor kits over there?

I would be all for it.

More than meets the eye Array Pvt. BLOGGINS's Avatar
    2004 Katana 750, 1992 GS500
    I totally agree, make it part of the graduating licencing system...

No size limits.

Over the past few decades motorcycling has gotten dramatically safer all the while engine size and motorcycle performance has increased. No direct link can be made between engine size (or power) and increased risk to the responsible rider.

Areas that showed some decrease in fatals by bringing in such laws have almost always done it combined with other factors AND the decrease has not been dramatic or sustained. Some have showed no decrease at all or just continued a trend.

Motorcycle weight and style 'may' have some effect on how well someone learns to ride and handle a bike but it would be wrong to tell someone they are not allowed to have a H-D when we know it is possible to learn on one.

AND we have other laws that can be used to keep those off the road who may want to start on something they can't handle at all.

People must be allowed to fail, freedom isn't free, some will die.

Unnecessary laws are not good laws, but traps for money.
    Thomas Hobbes

racing ostrich
    i don't think you can legislate against stupidity, as in resticting motor size for a new rider. laws are just not the way....

i do agree that riders should start with less powerful bikes and increase their skill level before moving up a bike size....

so just restricting the motor size does nothing to add to the skill level....
    i think there should be manditory courses for both bikes and cars. and i am talking about actuall driving course where increasing the driving/riding skill is the goal.

just my plan if i were in control

'07 BMW K1200R
    Size or power output restrictions make sense for new riders. I'm sure there are some that can handle an R1 with zero experience, but the majority of new riders need to work on basic skills before having over 100HP at their disposal.
    What was it all about?

North Vancouver

You like popsicles? Array Hogie's Avatar
    T-Saw, BC
    I'm against it cause it took me a month to get used to my bike, and then another month to be pissed I couldn't pass people fast enough. It's a 600 but it probably rides like something less compared to today's standards(it's a 90). If I was on some weak machine I'd be pissed off all the time. Plus, do they even make anything less than 600 that looks good?

2006 ninja ZX-6R
    i think that people should have the freedom of choice. There are already too many restrictions in todays society. I think people should seriously consider a lesser bike to start with just for the simple reason that folks need to learn to respect the ride and learn to exercise throttle control, which i had to learn the hard way...OUCH!

The Mighty One
    I'm on the fence. I want to see some solid statistics on bike size, rider experience, and accident rates. If it could be proven without doubt that size restrictions saves the lives of new riders, I'd agree. However, as someone that started on a big bike, I'm not a fan of the idea. Big bikes have their own benefits......and aren't neccessarily more dangerous. I just don't hear of a lot of accidents where I say afterwards, 'too much bike.' Any dumass with a lot of money can drive a Viper with their 'L' in the window too. You don't see it very often because fast bikes are a lot more accessible than fast cars. Just rambling, I don't want to see it happen

Registered User Array
    Greater Vancouver
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogie
    I'm against it cause it took me a month to get used to my bike, and then another month to be pissed I couldn't pass people fast enough. It's a 600 but it probably rides like something less compared to today's standards(it's a 90). If I was on some weak machine I'd be pissed off all the time. Plus, do they even make anything less than 600 that looks good?
    Who cares if it looks good? If that's their only reason for buying a motorcycle than they probably shouldn't. It's far more important people survive unhurt until they become more experienced. Smaller bikes are much more forgiving and much easier to ride. I don't need a study of accident rates to tell me that. My first bike I could whack the throttle wide open while leaned over in a turn in first gear without a problem. Try that on an R1 and see what happens ...

Now that I'm safe I say size restrictions.

Kamloops, BC
    2007 BMW G650X-Challenge
    I think that there should be a size limit, but it should be done by restrictor plates to limit the hp. Otherwise you would have to buy a new bike if you wanted more power.

However, this would increase the number of small cc sportbikes that we have.
    2007 BMW G650X Challenge

I don’t know what to pick. I am one of those people who have been doing trail riding since I was 12 and bikes are a part of me. I also have a great appreciation and respect for them, but see lots of new riders not give bikes the respect they deserve.

I started out with a Ninja 250. IMO, that was an awesome piece of machinery. The thing could do 160 km/h, but it was the acceleration that wasn’t too overwhelming, so I learned slowly. At the time I was riding, it was a very adequate amount of power for someone my age and skill (18).

The next year, I went onto an F650 GS. And while that did not have a higher top speed, actually they were roughly the same, it did accelerate much quicker. Had I started with a bike like that, I would have gotten into trouble much more often than I did with my 250.

I now (19, nearing 20) am riding a Monster 900. It is a 94, and while its top speed is more than the Ninja and BMW, its acceleration is not much stronger than the F650. This bike is a fun bike to ride, but it is no sport bike and does it handle as well or easily around corners like my Ninja. I also don’t think it would break 200.

What I am getting at is that top speed is a factor, but you can see that a 250 and a 650 and a 900 all have somewhat similar top speeds, even though their engines sizes differ greatly. The big thing I think is acceleration as it will shoot you somewhere into trouble real quick.

So, I think it is hard to limit engine sizes, but limiting acceleration is key. I was very happy in the way I progressed up the bike chain. Next year, I will still probably continue riding the Monster, although it has crossed my mind to get a 600, or even a 750. But I think that it would be in my own best interest to hold off on those urges and do that the following summer.

On aside note, people who start out new think that they will have the will power to control themselves from not going too fast. That is absolute bullshit. From my own experience, and from others’, they quickly gain a false sense of skill over them and start punching it earlier and earlier in the gears than they used to when they first got the bike, and before they know it, they’re punching it like a person with 10 yrs experience, but they still only have a handful of months. For new riders, they just don’t see the point in starting small, investing an extra couple thousand, and working your way up the chain. They just go for the big gun, a 600. I am real glad I had a 250 to start because the engine size limited me and kept me in check.

Hope that all makes sense, cheers.