Electrical help: where is my accessory terminal?

Thread: Electrical help: where is my accessory terminal?

pronounced as-wee-pay Array effenay's Avatar
    Bike
    F4

Electrical help: where is my accessory terminal?

Where is the accessory electrical terminal on my CBR600F4? I'm planning on installing heated grips this weekend but looking at the bike and through the manuals I couldn't find the terminal location. Can anyone clue me in?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Jackie Chan's stuntdouble Array Motorcycle Man's Avatar
    Bike
    CBR600 F4
    Haha! You're joking, right? Only touring bikes come with accessory outlets standard. You'll need to do a bit of wiring, something like in the attached diagram.
    Last edited by Motorcycle Man; 11-04-2004 at 11:11 PM.

Bike
    CBR600 F4
    The headlight circuit controls a relay which provides power to the grips.

One reason for using the headlight circuit is that power goes off when you turn your bike off. That way you don't have to worry about forgetting to turn the grips off and draining your battery.

Another reason is that power goes off when you push the starter button, so full power is available for starting your engine.

You can wire the grips into the headlight circuit without using a relay, though you'll be approaching the limits of what that circuit can handle.

On my bike, I mounted the relay on the left side of the subframe, where there is a bit of space. I put the switch on the bracket for the rear brake reservoir. There is a hole of just the right size there, so no drilling was required.

I've also got an outlet for my heated vest on the same circuit. Use a 10 amp fuse if you are doing both.
    Last edited by Motorcycle Man; 11-04-2004 at 03:09 PM.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Nice write up and sketch there MM....

The relay terminals in the final graphic don't line up but the connections are in the right order for anyone that's wondering.

I may just steal this for an article or add it to one of the sticky threads here.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bike
    CBR600 F4
    Alright, I've fixed the diagram a bit. The grips are wired in parallel, and the resistor for low power setting is included. Oh, and TeeTee will be happy that the relay terminals now line up.

Parts list for this project includes:

16 gauge wire (multistrand)
    22 gauge wire (multistrand, for driving the relay)
    12 volt, 20 amp spst relay
    crimp terminals:
    - 2 ring terminals (attach to battery)
    - 9 female spade terminals (attach to switch, relay, fuse holder)
    - 4 bullet connectors
    wire tap (tap into headlight circuit)
    5 or 10 amp fuse
    fuse holder
    on-off-on spdt switch
    zip ties
    electrical tape

Some of these bits come with the grips; you can get the rest at Cajun Tire.

pronounced as-wee-pay Array effenay's Avatar
    Bike
    F4
    No wonder I couldn't find the accessory terminal I wasn't really expecting to find an outlet, but I was hoping that there was somewhere convenient where this could be wired.

Motorcycle Man, thanks for the info and nifty diagram. That's way more information than I expected, and I really appreciate it. I'll let you guys know how the installation goes...

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycle Man
    ... Oh, and TeeTee will be happy that the relay terminals now line up......
    Yes, with my sensibilities salved by the correction of such a grossly neglected factor I'll certianly be able to sleep much better tonight....

Whad'a chameleon....
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.