first gear question
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: first gear question

duma

first gear question

hi, sometimes my engine shuts off while riding in first gear. I was wondering if i were suppoesd to hang on to my clutch while in 1st gear or not? sometimes, when i ride in first gear, i release the clutch all the way and the engine still runs, but sometimes it shuts off.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

waypastfast
    check your kickstand safety switch, My gixxer has done that on the highway in 4th when the kickstand pivot was dirty and not letting the stand go all the way up

Registered User Array kamen rider's Avatar
    Bike
    Honda
    You might be stalling the engine if you're going too slow. Feather the clutch to keep the engine revs up if you're going slow.

Sorry if this sounds condescending, I don't know how experienced with riding you are...

Bike
    07 CBR600RR
    In another forum i remember him saying that he just got the bike today.
    Your probably just stalling the bike.

duma
    i think i need to find my friction zone. maybe thats why i stalled it soemtimes.

Bike
    Big and slow
    Don't take this the wrong way but I think you need to take a course before you hit the streets.

Registered User Array kamen rider's Avatar
    Bike
    Honda
    Think back to your course... modulate the clutch and throttle like a faucet to control the power. Don't treat these controls like an on/off switch.

Try to get a feel for the friction zone by just sitting on the bike with your feet/toes down and slowly letting the clutch out and slightly opening the throttle. Go back and forth a few times... get a feel of the friction zone on and off.

And practice stopping while remembering to pull in the clutch.

Please practice on the bike and get used to it before going out into traffic. Find someone from a local motorcycle online community to help you out in person if you can, if you're still having problems.

Antares
    IGNORE this dork, could it be any more obvious that he's a troll?

In this thread he claims to have taken the MSF course, and passed an exam for his license, yet he doesn't know how to feather a clutch...

duma
    i am not a troll by whatever you mean. i took the course 1 and a half month ago. i didnt get to practice on any bikes for this 1 and a half month. i forget some stuff that i have learned. you didnt have to put me down like that man.

duma
    and i can show you my license and MSF course certificate if you live in san diego... god, i just cant believe some people in this forum would do this. and im not even riding in traffic streets. im just riding on a street behind my house which is empty 90% of the time.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2006 GSX-R 750
    DOn't let them discourage you man.. Practice as much as you can.. Then slowly hit traffic. (I'd even suggest a nice and big parking lot like a wall mart. Kmart etc. ) Awesome for practicing slow speed stuff like fig 8s and stuffs

Good luck

Antares
    Quote Originally Posted by duma
    i am not a troll by whatever you mean. i took the course 1 and a half month ago. i didnt get to practice on any bikes for this 1 and a half month. i forget some stuff that i have learned. you didnt have to put me down like that man.
    I took basically the exact same course, bought a bike SIX months later...yes, I forgot some details, but how the hell would you forget how to slip the clutch? That's like taking a cooking class and then forgetting how to make a piece of toast.

and i can show you my license and MSF course certificate if you live in san diego
    Maybe one person on this forum other than you lives in San Diego. Have you figured out what BC stands for yet?

god, i just cant believe some people in this forum would do this.
    Some people in this forum are bigger assholes than me, lol!

I'm not trying to be mean, just everything you post comes off as totally troll-ish. And by the way, I'm not a man.

Bike
    2002 Honda CBR 954RR
    Awww...throw him a freakin bone...obviously he's a slow learner, I mean rider...eventually he'll get the hang of it.
    Roger
    Tmustang you are clear for take off

Bring on the sun Array Bandit_Ryder's Avatar
    Bike
    Yes
    I wouldn't wonder about a noob stalling a bike if he did not claim he took the course and got his licence already...sounds like bullshit to me!
    R.I.P. Danimal

duma
    i used to respect everyone in this forum... until now, but i guess some of these people dont care.