What Class do I race in?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What Class do I race in?

Registered User Array overdraft's Avatar
    Bike
    08 Honda CBR1000rr, 05 Honda CBR600rr, 70 Honda CB350

What Class do I race in?

Here's a couple of questions for seasoned Mission racers... I've read the WMRC rulebook, but there are still a couple of things I'm not sure about...

1. I'll be a Novice riding an F3 bike... Rulebook says I could race in either Novice or F3... would F3 be a better fit?
    2. Apparently if I have a Novice license and want to race F3, I need some kind of 'approval'... Is this difficult to obtain, and how do I do it?
    3. If I race in one category, say F3, can I also race in another such as sportsman? (once my license permits it)
    4. Can I race in more than one category if I bring more than one bike?

Thanks for your help. I'm on Vancouver Island so I have no opportunity to attend meetings and such so I'm trying to get stuff clarified before I show up on race day to discover I'm too slow for Novice and not approved for F3, so I've wasted all my time and money!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Shiftless clutcher Array ZoomaFoo's Avatar
    Bike
    '01 GSX-R600 race bike
    1. I think F3 would be a better fit for you and your 125, as Novice is filled with 600s, 750s and 1000s, but I would suggest sending a PM to NFG, who is the WMRC Novice Rep. He might be able to give you some clarification on that.
    2. From the WMRC rule book:
    "Formula 3, 650SS twins and vintage bikes are allowed to run their respective classes instead of the novice class."
    The 'approval' might be in the form of a checkout, whereby a pro rider goes out and follows you around for a couple of laps to assess your skills and decide on appropriate placement. Again, NFG could probably confirm this.
    3. Once licenced, I think you can run the same machine in a maximum of three classes, but note the following rule re: Sportsman:
    "Riders who enter the sportsman class may NOT enter the same motorcycle in any other class that race day, including novice."
    4. Yes, there are more than a few WMRC racers who do this.

If you haven't seen it already, you can view/download the '04 rule book at http://www.wmrc.ca/ (click 'Members' on the top menu, then 'Documents' then 'Rulebook').

See you at the track!

Quote Originally Posted by overdraft
    Here's a couple of questions for seasoned Mission racers... I've read the WMRC rulebook, but there are still a couple of things I'm not sure about...

1. I'll be a Novice riding an F3 bike... Rulebook says I could race in either Novice or F3... would F3 be a better fit?
    2. Apparently if I have a Novice license and want to race F3, I need some kind of 'approval'... Is this difficult to obtain, and how do I do it?
    3. If I race in one category, say F3, can I also race in another such as sportsman? (once my license permits it)
    4. Can I race in more than one category if I bring more than one bike?

Thanks for your help. I'm on Vancouver Island so I have no opportunity to attend meetings and such so I'm trying to get stuff clarified before I show up on race day to discover I'm too slow for Novice and not approved for F3, so I've wasted all my time and money!
    "When in doubt, FLAT OUT!"

Bike
    3. Once licenced, I think you can run the same machine in a maximum of three classes,
    Stefan, (not sure if he's NFG, but he's on the wmrc site as novice rep) indicated that I could only race in ONE class, but I've heard rumours of guys racing multiple classes... that's why I was seeking clarification from someone who's done (or tried) to do this...

When I say
    I've read the WMRC rulebook
    it doesn't mean I need to
    view/download the '04 rule book
    it means I'm looking for help from someone who's been 'on the ground' at Mission... Thanks again in advance!

Bike
    '01 GSX-R600 race bike
    Sorry I didn't read your post as carefully as I ought to. I've raced only a few times at Mission, so hopefully someone with more experience there can give you some better answers than I did.

Bike
    No worries Mel... at least you got back to me! I mean 39 views, 1 answer?

AKA Newfie Girl Array Newfie Girl's Avatar
    Bike
    Honda street
    I was under the impression, and I could be very wrong, that novices can only race one class.

Bike
    '01 GSX-R600 race bike
    No worries Mel... at least you got back to me! I mean 39 views, 1 answer?

keepin' it steel Array GuySmiley's Avatar
    Bike
    (^_^)
    Stefan, (not sure if he's NFG, but he's on the wmrc site as novice rep) indicated that I could only race in ONE class, but I've heard rumours of guys racing multiple classes... that's why I was seeking clarification from someone who's done (or tried) to do this...
    What happened last year was this:

[Start in Novice]
    Do a few races. Express to a wmrc exec that you would like to try out another class. If they feel that you might be a candidate for advancing out of Novice, they'll let you race Sportsman (or F3) at the same time as Novice.

[Now racing Novice and Sportsman (or F3)]
    Assuming you race safe in all of your races up to this point, you can then ask for an experienced wmrc racer to follow you around at a Test&Tune; they can then recommend for you to be bumped out of novice.

[Now racing anything but Novice]
    Mr. Burns: "Remember Homer, there is no muscle stronger than the human heart."
    Homer: "What about the weiner? I saw some guy on TV lift a can of paint with his."

Bike
    Newfie Girl, It could be that
    novices can only race one class
    but it doesn't actually SAY that in the rulebook... it defines the license requirement for 'Sportsman' and 'Superbike' but none of the other classes specifically admit or prohibit Novice licensed riders... Then the (albeit last year's) registration form shows several classes which are NOT listed in the rulebook and also says I can register in up to 3 classes... This is contrary to the input I'm getting from the wmrc novice rep! Thus my post seeking clarification!

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Hugh, as I understand it at the moment you can only run one class while a novice. Over the past couple of seasons the rider's group grew in leaps and bounds and that led to a few special cases where some novices were allowed to run Sportsman to ease the pressure in the novice grid. But that's being closed down now. There's too many riders that want to run sportsman to let that continue.

In your case I heartily agree that you're better off in the F3 class right from the get go. Your 125 would have too much disparity in it's acceleration with the much larger bikes in the Novice group.

For the time being you would be limited to one class. Once you're an amatuer you could bring more than one bike and run them in two classes. Just be prepared to pay as required.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bike
    GuySmiley, So 7.1 of the rulebook that says: Riders who enter the sportsman class may NOT enter the same motorcycle in any other class that race day, including novice doesn't mean shit? and where it says I can, with approval, race in F3 instead of Novice means as well as? Man, this is confusing...

keepin' it steel Array GuySmiley's Avatar
    Bike
    (^_^)
    EDIT - what Bruce said. Start in F3, "no Novice for you!" (in my best soup nazi voice). Race most of the season in F3. Get evaluated by an experienced racer. Have your licence bumped out of Novice status. Race in upto 3 classes. Forget about Sportsman.
    Last edited by GuySmiley; 12-01-2004 at 12:55 PM.
    Mr. Burns: "Remember Homer, there is no muscle stronger than the human heart."
    Homer: "What about the weiner? I saw some guy on TV lift a can of paint with his."

Bike
    The Mighty One
    This has been a grey area with the WMRC last season. I would say that chances are they'll want you to pick F3. Novice will be a zoo. The grid will likely be full in Novice and the decision to limit classes will more be to give space for people that can only run Novice than keeping you out of a class.

Bike
    Bruce,
    Any idea who I'd see about going in F3 right away, or will I have to get eaten alive by the torque-meisters in Novice for a race or two to start? (you know, before I get eaten alive by the F3 guys instead!)

Bike
    The Mighty One
    lol......good to see some corrobaration. Plan to run F3 at the very least. There's at least one person I know working his ass off to get some perks for riders in that class. Small grid and similar bikes. You'll have fun there.