BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Mexico Jan 2005

4K views 59 replies 27 participants last post by  Triplepete 
#1 ·
Here is a pic of my purposed route around Mexico. Leaving Jan 2 from LA after some partying. This route is subject to change and I will spend time soaking up the sun, scenery, and culture. Should take me about a month or so.

My friend in Guadalajara says it's cold this time of year... 18 degrees C .... at night.. :D 25 during the day. Bhahahahaaaaaaa.

See less See more
#3 ·
One month, three months, who cares! You're still a lucky shit to have enough time off to go! :D

#7 ·
MS streets and trips calculated that route to be a little over 10,000kms in 19 days of straight driving at speed limits for 10 hours a day.

I of course will be stopping lots and see the sights. I think I will be there for about 6 - 8 weeks.

I have already spent about $700 and I haven't even left yet. Tires, emergency supplies, medication, security locks and cables, emergency parts... but rewards out weigh the costs for sure.

#9 ·
Miteorite said:
Hmm interesting. I want to go to NY and back.
I wonder if I can do it in 4-5 weeks.
I went to PEI and back--east through the US and back through Canada. With a side trip to Fort St John and a few rest days I did it in less than 4 weeks. I could have shortened the trip significantly, but then I would have seen even less of the areas I travelled through. More time (and $$$) would have been better. People were always very welcoming when they saw a BC plate far from home.

#11 ·
GSP said:
I went to PEI and back--east through the US and back through Canada. With a side trip to Fort St John and a few rest days I did it in less than 4 weeks. I could have shortened the trip significantly, but then I would have seen even less of the areas I travelled through. More time (and $$$) would have been better. People were always very welcoming when they saw a BC plate far from home.

That's cool!. Did you spend every day on the road(besides the rest days)?
I wouldn't mind riding/driving for 8 hours a day and spending an afternoon somewhere cool. Then staying over for a couple of days in big(ger) places - like NY. I figure 4 weeks it the max i'll eever have off from work..

#12 ·
usatic said:
Better take a pocket full of US $20 bills. One to each of the Fedaralies that stop you for no apparent reason will keep your butt out of the Mexican pokey.

That is if the drug dealers don't get to you first on the Yucatan Peninsula.
No hablo spanish....

Just act like you don't understand and you'll be fine.

#13 ·
Miteorite said:
That's cool!. Did you spend every day on the road(besides the rest days)?
I wouldn't mind riding/driving for 8 hours a day and spending an afternoon somewhere cool. Then staying over for a couple of days in big(ger) places - like NY. I figure 4 weeks it the max i'll eever have off from work..
Most days were spent on the road and a few were ~1000kms. I spent a few days outside of Buffalo waiting on a rear tire, a couple of days in Toronto, and a couple more in Fort St. John. If I were to do it again, I'd do my best to stay *away* from the main highways, but it was a great introduction to touring for my first season of riding. I think the trip totalled 14-15000 km.

The further you get from home, the more often you hear, "I wish I could take a trip like that." Despite the crap you here about Americans, I've always found them to be very welcoming. I was sitting at a picnic table in a rest area when a family asked if they could share the table. I was happy to share and they made me lunch. When you're on a bike, people want to share in the adventure.

If I could escape from my job, I'd definitely be joining Peter on his trip. For those of you that find Peter's trip of interest, I suggest taking a look at some of the ride reports on Adventure Rider (www.advrider.com). There is some incredible stuff on there and the photographs are often spectacular. Here's a teaser:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62385

This guy takes some great photos, so it's worth looking for his other reports.

I'm sure Peter will have some good stuff for us when he returns. :thumbup

#15 ·
What is a realistic amount of mileage to do per day on average, while still enjoying the trip?

I am thinking of riding to Las Vegas mid March (stay for a few days), head over to California and back home along the coast. I think in total it would be about 4,000 to 5,000 km.

How many days do you think would be good for such a trip?

Fury, what kind of bike are you going to ride? Sounds like fun!

Thanks,
Dave

G
#20 ·
I wish you luck. Dont want to sound negative, but you

a) wont be able to do "10 hour driving days"
and
b) Your FZ1 wont make it on the roads there.

Good luck.

You're going to need it.

The only possible thing you could do to have a remote chance of completing your journey would be to give yourself 4 months.

Here's a free tip from someone who has been there many times and driven there many times.

Dont take US cash. Take Pesos. It's their country's currency.

#23 ·
b_valkyrie said:

and

Good luck.

You're going to need it.
you don't know Peter. :D

Peter, wish I could come along. That looks like a great trip, but it will have to go into the back of the queue. Vegas first, then europe, then Mexico.

Put in a paging alarm for sure.

Have a great time!

#25 ·
b_valkyrie said:

and

Good luck.

You're going to need it.

The only possible thing you could do to have a remote chance of completing your journey would be to give yourself 4 months.

Here's a free tip from someone who has been there many times and driven there many times.

Dont take US cash. Take Pesos. It's their country's currency.
My FZ is offended by your remarks... she feels she must prove you wrong :laughing

I hope to ba able to complete that route or close to it. If time runs short then I guess I can settle for a shorter trip. I am allowing 2 months since I would like to fill up the 700MB of memory I am packing.

I am used to an iron butt style of riding, but I don't plan on that. I will only be riding daylight hours and sticking to main roads. If I have to, I will use the toll roads to make up time. For the record, GSP and I did 16 hours from here to Mt Raineer, Mt St. Helen's , finishing in The Dalles on the first day.

#26 ·
scooter said:
Have a great time Peter. What an excellent way to spend the winter season.

Wishing you a safe ride.

Scooter

Why is it so tough to find members who are adventerous.
Thanks Brian. We'll have to plan another trip, maybe by that time I will have a dual sport too.

It's never too late to quite your job and join me you know :laughing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.