parking bylaws and bastard neighbours
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: parking bylaws and bastard neighbours

Maverick_cat

parking bylaws and bastard neighbours

just a venting session here but perhaps someone can tell me if they've experienced this before.

So i live in a building. a nice building on a busy street corner with a nice little residential area behind it. So there is limited parking infront of my building for those poor saps that didn't get a parking spot when they bought a suite in said building - like me.

One friggin day I park on MY block, on MY street, 4 houses away from my building because there is NO PARKING available directly infront. That next morning I also decide, wow, the weather is decent, I'll "go green" and be nice to the environment (seriously) and cycle to work.

One of my nice little nasty no holiday spirit neighbours decides they don't like my car infront of their house and gets me ticketed. This street has NO SIGNS that say "permit only" or "no parking" or no nothing at all. The ticket bylaw says that I was parked for more than 3 hours between the hours of 8am and 6pm.

I appreciate the fact that I possibly put my car infront of mrs johnsons house and she needs a cane and can't maneuver down the street or someone really really needs that spot since they . . . gee, really really need that spot cuz they're an asshole? I think a note on my car from that home owner saying something like "hey, nice to meet you neighbour but would you please park somewhere else or I will have you ticketed?" would suffice. I LIVE 4 HOUSES away, I would have LIKED to park infront of my building but couldn't and now it's like if people park infront of my building . . . . .WHERE THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO PARK?

So do they expect me to (a) circle the building until a spot opens up or (b) get up super early and try to move my car to a spot NOT INFRONT OF ANYONE's HOUSE or (c) just drive myself to work and kill some more trees.

according to this bylaw, ANYONE can call and complain about a vehicle parked for more than 3 hours and it's fair game. Can I dispute this and WIN? If this is not the case, that homeowner is getting a nasty flaming bag of dog shit on their front porch and on their car.

So if indeed I am in the wrong, can you suggest where I would park my car from now on? If it's not infront of the asshole's house, it's infront of someone elses house. suggestions?

Baby! Fusilli Jerry is on a distinguished road Fusilli Jerry's Avatar
    Bike
    F4izzzle
    [Ya, unfortunatly you are in the wrong. The same shit happened to a couple of my roommates. There is some by law that you cant park in front of a private residence for more than 3 hours, yada yada yada. The onus is on the residence to prove it though and they are not supposed to give out tickets without proof and stuff so you could always ask if she has pics or anything and try and dispute it. We just park in front of houses with garages/driveways now or residences that arnt so anal that they will get you ticketed.

Just park on her lawn next time

rain? whats that! REVELATIONS is on a distinguished road REVELATIONS's Avatar
    Bike
    SV 1000s
    Yes I had one them neighbours once.....but you can actually go to the city and get a parking sticker if you have proof of residence.

If you need ideas for retaliation.....http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/sh...highlight=fart

California dreamin' KatRider is on a distinguished road KatRider's Avatar
    Bike
    2007 Triumph Speed Triple
    I'd dispute it too. There must be some leeway for local residents. Couldn't one question why the city approved the building you live in without sufficient parking for all the units/residents in the building (either on the street in front of the building or on site). Arguably, the city created the problem in the first place so they should cut you some slack with regards to the ticket and provide you with some advice regarding what your options are for parking.
    Work sucks -- let's go riding!

Ghost SV Rider Dru is on a distinguished road Dru's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 SV650S Ghost
    I have a big dog who produces lots of dog shit. You supply the bag and pick it up.

Otherwise, I think a few burn outs are in order, AFTER you dispute it. Try the city first. Who knows, maybe they're nice?

Decepticon Vashy is on a distinguished road Vashy's Avatar
    Bike
    NOOOONE
    she's a total ass and you should try to dispute it. As long as you don't do it REPEATEDLY and fer sure she has like garage or doesn't drive or something..cuz my neighbours park infront, like DIRECTLY infront of the stair case that leads up to my house..and generally, i don't have a problem with it, as long as it isn't too often, cuz my street is quite quiet and no reason to park right infront of my house if the whole block is empty...but really, who gives? If no one's parking there, you can park there. Simple as that. Oh yeah, probably a residence sticker might help tho...??
    "If I teach you sex, I'd have to give you sex for homework" -Jaime Escalante

Registered User sep42 is on a distinguished road sep42's Avatar
    Bike
    solt
    I know in Burnaby there are these big boards with many words on them that cite the bylaw which says that you can't park in residential lanes more than 3hrs between hours xx-yy (work hours usually) unless you live there. They look like those square signs saying "No parking in [insert city] alleys" or "now entering city of [] speed limit is [] engine braking is prohibited fine $2000".
    This usually applies to parking in front of houses, not appt. buildings. I'd dispute it, since bylaws like that are meant to deter park'n'riders. You obviously live there. Worst case, the judge will explain to you what it means, and you can save money in the meantime, since it will probably take a year until the court hearing.

You can also try disputing on the fact that she has no proof that was your car there for more than 3hrs.

... as in "off my bike?" Fell is on a distinguished road Fell's Avatar
    Bike
    YZF600R
    Wow, that sounds ridiculous. Does anyone know the exact bylaw (wording, etc.?) Does it count on weekends? I can't count the number of times I've had my car parked over a weekend on the street in Kitsilano in front of some other persons house. Everyone does it. You park in a free spot as close to your house as possible, but it's not always going to be free directly in front. To enforce that would be ludicrous. I'd fight it just to see what they say.

Registered User Tengu is on a distinguished road Tengu's Avatar
    Bike
    DRZ400SM
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick_cat
    (c) just drive myself to work and kill some more trees.
    do u hit alot of trees while driving?

The new kid Digit Treesloth is on a distinguished road Digit Treesloth's Avatar
    Bike
    Driving Miss Daisy

Vancouver ByLaw

http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/bylaws/11188v17.pdf

CITY OF VANCOUVER

STREET AND TRAFFIC BY-LAW NO. 2849

[Consolidated for convenience including By-law No. 8864 effective June 8, 2004]

STOPPING AND PARKING - STREETS

17.6 No person shall park a vehicle:

(f) on a street abutting premises used for residential or commercial purposes for more than 3 hours between 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., provided that this limitation in time shall not apply where:

(i) such premises are the property or residence of such person or an employer of such person; or

(ii) the street or portion of street is restricted to the parking of vehicles of residents of that street; or

(iii) the street or portion of street is restricted to the parking of vehicles of residents bearing a valid decal issued by the City Engineer and authorizing its parking provided that the vehicle is located within the area named on the decal and provided further that where the area is regulated pursuant to section 22.1 this subclause (iii) shall only apply during the time of the event;

----------

I'd dispute the ticket, and tie it up in the courts. When it's finally your turn many months or years down the road, see if the old fart can recall from what time did she see your car in and out of the spot. I bet it won't even remember!

If that desn't give you satifaction, I'll bring the 5.0L out of hibernation and tear up her front yard! That's what big bro's are for
    Digital Treesloth

Doc Venture to Mike Soriyama: Oh C'mon! You're gonna kill me because I had fake sex on graph paper with a girl who barely spoke to you in real life?!

On a soapbox Mechanic is on a distinguished road Mechanic's Avatar
    Above the 49th Parallel and completely beyond Hope
    Bike
    Shuttleworth Snap
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick_cat
    ....One friggin day I park on MY block, on MY street, 4 houses away from my building because there is NO PARKING available directly infront......
    After a quick read of this post it strikes me that in light of the by-law “digit treesloth” posted, you are in the clear and have every right to park on YOUR own street, and in front of this persons house (at every opportunity )
    STFU = Acronym used by an internet forum poster without the ability to formulate an intelligent argument or response. [See “dullard”]

I do all my own stunts boarder is on a distinguished road boarder's Avatar
    Bike
    only 1 bike now, '02 gsxr750
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic
    After a quick read of this post it strikes me that in light of the by-law “digit treesloth” posted, you are in the clear and have every right to park on YOUR own street, and in front of this persons house (at every opportunity )

Yea, I'm pretty sure it's by block, not by each house. That would be ridiculous. For every parking sign I've ever seen, it's been residential parking for residents of 1600 block, or something along those lines.

p.s. it's a hush hush secret.. but mavi is a girl
    anyone wanna lend me a bike ?

New chain...Soo smooth... Black Sunshine is on a distinguished road Black Sunshine's Avatar
    Bike
    R1
    do u hit alot of trees while driving?
    Maybe he has to stoke the fire of his steam-powered engine....
    Tune-up Tip: If you can't fix it with a hammer, then you must have an electrical problem.

Maverick_cat
    Thanks guys. I was thinking of pitching a rock into their window but that still doesn't give me a parking spot. I'll definately be disputing this. As for tearing it up, I delcare a lawn party on west 17th, bring your bikes, bring your biggest, fattest tires and Dru, bring your biggest, fattest smelliest dog with ex-lax.

Thanks for the tips, I guess that's what punching bags are for. Meanwhile, I'll play nice and go in accordance with the law. Booya!

+ Reply to Thread