Riding British Columbia This Summer, Need Advice
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Riding British Columbia This Summer, Need Advice

Ron Dohrn

Riding British Columbia This Summer, Need Advice

I'm planning a 2 week trip into British Columbia this summer. I'm coming up through Glacier National Park in Montana. The general plan is to ride the Rockies to Prince George and then to Vancouver Island. I would like to know the best time to do this taking into account snow and heavy traffic. Any nice roads and/or things not to miss would also be nice.
    Thanks
    Ron from Northern California

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    None
    Welcome to BCSB

It's what we do here ....... I'm sure someone will help you on your BC Vacation ....
    Chris

Registered User Array Commuter Boy's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Bandit

Bike
    SV track, VFR road
    How much of that 2 weeks do you wish to spend in BC and how much riding would you like to do per day?
    "When in doubt accelerate.
    It may not help you avoid the problem,
    but it'll end the suspense."

WMRC #96 (retired)

Bike
    Bike
    Hi Ron,

Try to get a hold of this book called Destination Highways. It has all the best routes in Southern BC and there's a Washington State one available too.

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/item.a...n=books&zxac=1
    oops Commuter Boy beat me to it

Here's a link to a site that has some good routes aswell. He's a member on this board too. Can't remember his name though. http://members.shaw.ca/bjs1/interesting_roads_main.htm
    Yamatodamashii

Still defying gravity... Array Thumper 8's Avatar
    Bike
    3 and 6 cylinders of fury
    Quote Originally Posted by CrotchRocketeer
    Anything past mid April you will have almost no problems on the way to PG. The island will be very nice by that time.
    Destinations book is a great recommendation.

Weather depends on your route, coming from Montana you could hit some iffy weather in the Rockies in the spring and through summer - I have hit a light snowfall in August in near Golden (didn't stick but was a nasty surprise to wake up to), and heavier snow a couple of days later in Jasper if you take that route. The scenery will be spectacular - no matter when you travel through the Rockies. Be prepared, remember our drivers (especially in Vancouver) suck, and enjoy the most beautiful province in Canada.

aka Tony

My WMRC/Pitt Meadows and other bike photos are at Thumphoto.com - follow on Twitter and connect on Facebook

opie_trice
    make sure you go threw the okanagan because i would have to say its the nicest scenay in all of Bc

opie_trice
    make sure you go threw the okanagan because i would have to say its the nicest scenary in all of Bc

Bike
    sold
    isnt it supposed to be "oBie trice"?

RMR
    Destination highways for sure. Be sure to spend a few days in Nelson...great little town and alot of good roads around there. If coming through the rockies...Canmore and Banff are awesome...Canmore being more casual and less touristy. Okanagon area is awesome too. Be absolutely certain to ride from Fauqier to Coldstream....it is listed as DH2 in the Destination Highway book...but I'd rate it #1 from my experiences on it. It also compares closely to the roads I've been on in Northern Cali.

Bike
    07...Think it's blue
    Okanagon area is awesome too. Be absolutely certain to ride from Fauqier to Coldstream....it is listed as DH2 in the Destination Highway book (dam quote wont work)

If ya make it to the Coldstream ask the locals to direct you to Westside road. It takes u to the otherside of Kelowna (u miss taking the floating bridge and NEAR VANCOUVER LIKE TRAFFIC THRU TOWN lol, beleave me in summer that can be a nice thing! being as how its a controled 3 lane) Nice road over all, sure parts of it can be a little sad, but the rolls and corners make up for it! then Id sugest the hope princeton route, sweet ride room for speed till princeton then it gets real nice! and BRAND NEW ROAD IN THE SPRING!!!!!!!!! Im eagerly awaiting ma first coffee trip to hope to take this rip! But if in BC come thru the OK u wont be dissapointed! Ask any local to tell ya the fun roads round here theres TONNES!
    Deer and rabbits are truly ICBC'S CREATURES. *shakes fist*
    It's not half as fun hating people as it as making them hate you........
    I used to TROLL, now I just FISH >}}}`>

Danimal
    For timing, I would say anything after Mid-June and it should be gold for ya. I rode across BC last summer in early June and hit like 12 inches of rain, 3 inches of snow through some of the passes, and the best part was the 150 km total of sunshine. The trip back after the mid point of June was freaking beautiful tho.

Bike
    2009 ZX10R
    The worst time for traffic is between Canada Day (July 1st) and Labour Day (1st Monday in Sept.) The camper vans and holiday traffic is a lot heavier during this period. The weather though, is the best during that time.
    Like most people said so far, get the Destination Highways book for seeing BC's best roads. By the way there should be a Northern California version coming out this year that you’ll probably want too. (I pre-ordered mine a year ago.) And I agree the Needles to Vernon/Coldstream road (Hwy 6) is great. http://www.destinationhighways.com
    Dunno what’s up in Prince George for ya I’ve never ridden past 108 Mile. If you want to ride around the rest of Southwestern B.C. I could map you out a route that will take you around some good sights and roads from Montana and back.
    Enjoy our province.
    Any secrets for riding in Northern Cali that I don't already know about?
    ---------------------------
    Now... bring me that horizon.

No bike for now... Array Betamax's Avatar
    Bike
    Honda Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Any secrets for riding in Northern Cali that I don't already know about?
    Highway 36 is mecca.

In BC, don't miss Lake Louise. One of the most beautiful spots on earth.

Still defying gravity... Array Thumper 8's Avatar
    Bike
    3 and 6 cylinders of fury
    Quote Originally Posted by Betamax
    In BC, don't miss Lake Louise. One of the most beautiful spots on earth.

Banff & Lake Louise to Jasper is amazing, but it is in Alberta last time I checked

aka Tony

My WMRC/Pitt Meadows and other bike photos are at Thumphoto.com - follow on Twitter and connect on Facebook