Saturday June 18th Iron Butt Association SaddleSore 1000 Ride
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Saturday June 18th Iron Butt Association SaddleSore 1000 Ride

Bike
    Motorcycle

Saturday June 18th Iron Butt Association SaddleSore 1000 Ride

Update on this spring’s IBA ride. This is a 1,000 mile ride in less than 24 hours

The planning has been going on for a month or so now.

Please if you have questions about the Iron Butt Association go to the website www.ironbutt.com and learn about the IBA.

Anyone can go and do this ride anytime on their own and submit their own documentation to the IBA. You do not have to participate in this ride to join the IBA; any IBA ride you do on your own and get certified by the IBA is acceptable

This ride is being organized as a group IBA ride that has certain advantages to the riders. These advantages are you will get your certificate, plate back and pin at the ride's conclusion if you have collected the required time dated receipts from specific towns on the route.

You will not have to fill out the extensive ride documentation paperwork, but will have the benefit of being part of the group

The route is pre planned and pre-approved by the IBA as to distance etc.

There is a small savings ( $6.00 US ) in the cost of your IBA membership and ride certification.

The cost of IBA rider certification for this ride will be $29.00 US payable by US dollar postal order and submitted to me prior to the ride registration cut off date. You will receive a Ride Certificate, IBA Plate frame, SS1000 jacket pin and an IBA decal. As an IBA member can shop at the member’s store for additional IBA material.

The IBA does not make money (although they do have some full-time employees); however there is no way to recoup the costs when many riders cancel out of an event

Disadvantages:

You will have to prepay well in advance of the ride

There are no refunds as the certificates will be printed etc.

This is posted in general sport bike chat because it will be more visible to more riders and the ride is so far into the future that it makes more sense to post it here.

Here is the information

Date Saturday June 18th

Time first riders leave 4:00 am last riders will be on the road by 4:45 am

You will be required to follow the route (as a minimum) and hand in the correct paperwork. If you have ridden farther that is great for you but will not change anything on your certificate regarding mileage

Common Questions

Can I bring a passenger?

Yes he/she can and they can become IBA members if they submit the paperwork and the registration fee.

When is the money due?

The money will be due Friday May 6th, 2005.

Why so early the documentation has to get to the IBA, be processed and completion packages sent back to me for presentation at ride end.

What is in it for you Bill?

I am doing this as a volunteer, and I will not be doing the ride.

I do enjoy the promotion of safe long distance riding and giving many of you the opportunity to try a most interesting adventure on your motorcycle.

How many riders do you expect?

So far I have about 6 riders who have committed to the ride (none yet from BCSB)

I expect 12-30 participants. , including about a minimum of 1/3 being women riders.

What will I have to due prior to the ride?

More on that later regarding bikes and gear, but you will need in order to participate in the ride at least the following:

A valid Class 6 license

Proof of insurance on your bike

Have submitted your fee to me for delivery to the IBA and have signed a release form.

Completed a rider information sheet and a certificate information sheet

What is the route?

Riders will be leaving the Chevron at Rupert and First Avenue in Vancouver(they are a 24 hour station)

The route will go along the Number 1 to Hope then continue on Number 1 until it turns into Highway 97. Continue on 97 to Prince George.

You will hang a right at Price George and take Highway 16 eastbound to about “Tete Juane Hache” and then swing south (a right turn) onto the Yellowhead Highway - Highway 5 and proceed to Kamloops.

Take the connecter south to Merritt and then follow the Coquilhalla to Hope and then return to the Chervon station for a final ride ending receipt.

You will then ride over to the Knight and Day Restaurant (Boundary & 1st) for the completion of your ride documentation and get a picture taken with you and your bike.

I would expect that everyone would be back in Vancouver by 1:00am with the efficient riders (not speeders) arriving around 11:00 pm

We will have an IBA witness somewhere past the midpoint and require each of you to stop and get a certifying signature. You will need this signature to get your ride documentation and ride approval.

Based on discussions last year and a “test ride” a few of us did this made in Canada route is a wonderful day’s ride and eliminates all of the problems of crossing the border and droning up and down the interstate system.

How big a bike do I need to do this ride?

Well since the 2003 Iron Butt Rally was completed a rider riding a Ninja 250 anything reliable will work

Will I have to speed to do the ride?

Absolutely not.... speeding on the ride will just tire you out, increase the probability of you “having a roadside talk” and will increase your fuel consumption to the point that you will make way too many gas stops and arrive later tahn if you had been consistent in your pace.

How can I prepare for the ride?

You should all go to the IBA Knowledge of Wisdom section on the IBA site

http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aow.cfm

What do I get back before the others (i.e. first)?

This is not a race you will get a picture and a certificate like everyone else. There is no first

I can’t make the 18th of June can the date be moved?

No

What if it rains, I am sick that day, my Grandmother dies, or my dog goes missing, can I get my money back?

No that is what a non refundable payment means.

Will the ride really go on if it is raining?

Yes bring a rain suit and lots of face shield wipes.

What will the weather be like?

We will find out that day, Seriuosly,bring along some warm gear it will get cold in the mountains and as you get tired you will get chilled. If you have an electric vest bring it along and if you don’t have one consider buying one.

What do I have to do to my bike prior to the ride?

Make sure it is mechanically sound, and in good condition and have your mechanics check your tires for the proper amount of tread remaining.

We will have a rider’s educational meeting prior to the ride date time permitting.

What if I break down or have an accident.

I recommend that you all have good medical coverage, belong to a towing service and plan to ride a reliable motorcycle and carry a first aid kit and a cell phone. Ride carefully and if you get tto tired pullover and take a Motel room for the night

Why did you pick June 18th

It is close to the longest day of the year and that means more daylight for riding.

Here are the sunrise / sunset tables

June 18, 2005 Sun Rise Sun Set
    Actual Time 5:06 AM PDT 9:21 PM PDT
    Civil Twilight 4:22 AM PDT 10:04 PM PDT
    Nautical Twilight 3:20 AM PDT 11:07 PM PDT
    Astronomical Twilight
    Moon (6/18) 5:44 PM PDT (6/18) 2:26 AM PDT
    Length of Day: 16h 15m
    Length Of Visible Light: 17h 42m

Moon Phase: Waxing Gibbous, 85% of moon illuminated

Why are we coming home on the Coquilhalla?

Highway 5 is animal fenced and highway 97 is not. You will also be on a less challenging road when you are more tired.

I hope this will be fun for all of you who participate in the ride.

Bill

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

cruiserchick
    My friend and I may be interested, but, it is too early to know yet to make a committment. Can you please bump this thread at the end of April?

Thank you.

glowing ghostie! Array gordopolis's Avatar
    Bike
    I have kids
    Excellent post!

Bike
    Motorcycle
    Quote Originally Posted by cruiserchick
    My friend and I may be interested, but, it is too early to know yet to make a committment. Can you please bump this thread at the end of April?

Thank you.
    Hi, there will be a bump at the end of Feb, March and April

I just wanted those who have to bid for shifts to be aware of this date early on.

Bill

Two Wheeled Dictator Array Fidel Castro's Avatar
    Bike
    01 FZ1
    Cool... I will circle the date and start manipulating the schedule... so count me in.

Did a solo Saddlesore last year to San Francisco but due to technical/organizational problems I abandoned the record keeping. Finished the ride but the IBA plate cover still eluded me. Doing a group ride sounds like a blast and should help in keeping peoples head into it.

Bike
    Motorcycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Fidel Castro
    ......Did a solo Saddlesore last year to San Francisco but due to technical/organizational problems I abandoned the record keeping. Finished the ride but the IBA plate cover still eluded me.
    Yes,that is what I thought, many find the paperwork overwhelming and never get the ride credit organized, plus it is less daunting to do a ride with others out on the road at the same time

More than meets the eye Array Pvt. BLOGGINS's Avatar
    Bike
    2004 Katana 750, 1992 GS500
    Sounds good can't wait!

Registered User Array Commuter Boy's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Bandit
    Hmmm. If I do the same ride twice, can I pre-arrange a SS2K instead?

Bike
    Motorcycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Commuter Boy
    Hmmm. If I do the same ride twice, can I pre-arrange a SS2K instead?
    My first question to you would be ; Is this your first documented IBA ride? If it is there will be enough going on in a thousand mile day to consider that a pretty good weekend ride.

Now on to your question can you prearrange a SS2000 instead?

By a SS2000 I assume you mean a 2000 mile in 48 hour ride and not 2000km in 24 hours. FYI the link is to a 2000 k in 24hour ride is here

http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/ge...t.cfm?DocID=30

To answer your quetion - No. The group rides are ride specific, you could however apply for a SS2000 ( the 2000 mile in 48 hours ride )simultaeously with the SS1000

Let me expain. When you started the ride you would get two sets of documentation statrted one for the SS1000 and a second for the SS2000. When you finshed your SS1000, I would sign you in for that and then give you a midpoint form signed for the SS2000. You could then sleep (there are a few hotels around the start finish) and then start out again.

A midpoint form is not required but it helps in the documentation if you decide to bag the second day or only do a BB 1500.

here is a link to the rules for the SS2000

http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/ge...nt.cfm?DocID=8

You will have to apply for your SS2000 separately which means you will need to keep a more detailed log than required on the group ss1000. Separately also means no integration of fees with the group ride.

I would caution you a bit about doing this ride as you will then be at your most tired and therefore least alert riding back into Vancouver on a Sunday night in June.

I would strongly advise you against doing this if you have never done a lot of longer documented longer rides as it takes time to get the logistics organized in your head. The level of general tiredness that you could feel about midday on day two might be too much for you to accept without a significant rest break and then due to work deadlines you could be riding through the Sunday night to be back n time for work Monday alone. If you do not have a good set of Auxillary lights that second night ride will be a dark and lonely experience.

I admire your enthusiasm and would counsel you to just have a nice 1,000 mile day with the group rest up Saturday. When I rode across Canada last year I made Brandon Manitoba day one and Hearst Ontario day two and that distance is only about one hour more ( 60 miles )than twice the one day of the SS1000 route we have laid out. I am an experienced LD rider and with a properly set up bike I find that to be a tiring ride for a number of reasons.

Grab an atlas and take a look at the distance it is to go to the top of Lake Superior from here.

If you want to do a SS2000 I would reccomend that you plan a route into the US where the higher US interstate speed limits will give you significantly larger sleep windows.

If I am mistaken and you simply want to ride the SS 2000 km all you will need is the start paperwork ( I will sign you out) a receipt log ,your own route and you can submit all your own paperwork to the IBA.

I am not plannng to administer any more than one group ride. If you lay out your own route and make it back while I am still witnessing returning riders I would be delighted to sign you in as a IBA witness.

I hope this helps

Bill

Registered User Array Commuter Boy's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Bandit
    I was more hopeful about the possibility of dispensing with the extra paperwork.

I've done enough (undocumented, take it for what it's worth) SS1k's, it's the
    SS2k/3k I'm more interested in from a challenge standpoint. I've done the YVR-
    Winnipeg in 24 thing before, it's pacing through the multiple day barriers I'm
    working on.

Thanks for your hard work in organizing all this. Did you get drawn for the IB this year?

Bike
    Motorcycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Commuter Boy
    I was more hopeful about the possibility of dispensing with the extra paperwork.

I've done enough (undocumented, take it for what it's worth) SS1k's, it's the
    SS2k/3k I'm more interested in from a challenge standpoint. I've done the YVR-
    Winnipeg in 24 thing before, it's pacing through the multiple day barriers I'm
    working on.

Thanks for your hard work in organizing all this. Did you get drawn for the IB this year?
    We all want to dispense with extra paperwork so I now understand what you want to do. I will sign you out anytime you need just give me some lead time ok.

the best thing for pacing multi day rides is a GPS I have found.

and thanks for asking ....I will be very busy in late August

bill

Bike
    Motorcycle
    bump..

andre66
    bump..

Bike
    Motorcycle

Registration will be coming up this month!

Bump

Update on this spring’s IBA ride. This is a 1,000 mile ride in less than 24 hours

The planning has been going on for a few months or so now.

Please if you have questions about the Iron Butt Association go to the website www.ironbutt.com and learn about the IBA.

Anyone can go and do this ride anytime on their own and submit their own documentation to the IBA. You do not have to participate in this ride to join the IBA; any IBA ride you do on your own and get certified by the IBA is acceptable

This ride is being organized as a group IBA ride that has certain advantages to the riders. These advantages are you will get your certificate, plate back and pin at the ride's conclusion if you have collected the required time dated receipts from specific towns on the route.

You will not have to fill out the extensive ride documentation paperwork, but will have the benefit of being part of the group

The route is pre planned and pre-approved by the IBA as to distance etc.

There is a small savings ( $6.00 US ) in the cost of your IBA membership and ride certification.

The cost of IBA rider certification for this ride will be $29.00 US payable by US dollar postal order and submitted to me prior to the ride registration cut off date. You will receive a Ride Certificate, IBA Plate frame, SS1000 jacket pin and an IBA decal. As an IBA member can shop at the member’s store for additional IBA material.

The IBA does not make money (although they do have some full-time employees); however there is no way to recoup the costs when many riders cancel out of an event

Disadvantages:

You will have to prepay well in advance of the ride

There are no refunds as the certificates will be printed etc.

This is posted in general sport bike chat because it will be more visible to more riders and the ride is so far into the future that it makes more sense to post it here.

Here is the information

Date Saturday June 18th

Time first riders leave 4:00 am last riders will be on the road by 4:45 am

You will be required to follow the route (as a minimum) and hand in the correct paperwork. If you have ridden farther that is great for you but will not change anything on your certificate regarding mileage

Common Questions

Can I bring a passenger?

Yes he/she can and they can become IBA members if they submit the paperwork and the registration fee.

When is the money due?

The money will be due Friday May 6th, 2005.

Why so early the documentation has to get to the IBA, be processed and completion packages sent back to me for presentation at ride end.

What is in it for you Bill?

I am doing this as a volunteer, and I will not be doing the ride.

I do enjoy the promotion of safe long distance riding and giving many of you the opportunity to try a most interesting adventure on your motorcycle.

How many riders do you expect?

So far I have about 6 riders who have committed to the ride (none yet from BCSB)

I expect 12-30 participants. , including about a minimum of 1/3 being women riders.

What will I have to due prior to the ride?

More on that later regarding bikes and gear, but you will need in order to participate in the ride at least the following:

A valid Class 6 license

Proof of insurance on your bike

Have submitted your fee to me for delivery to the IBA and have signed a release form.

Completed a rider information sheet and a certificate information sheet

What is the route?

Riders will be leaving the Chevron at Rupert and First Avenue in Vancouver(they are a 24 hour station)

The route will go along the Number 1 to Hope then continue on Number 1 until it turns into Highway 97. Continue on 97 to Prince George.

You will hang a right at Price George and take Highway 16 eastbound to about “Tete Juane Hache” and then swing south (a right turn) onto the Yellowhead Highway - Highway 5 and proceed to Kamloops.

Take the connecter south to Merritt and then follow the Coquilhalla to Hope and then return to the Chervon station for a final ride ending receipt.

You will then ride over to the Knight and Day Restaurant (Boundary & 1st) for the completion of your ride documentation and get a picture taken with you and your bike.

I would expect that everyone would be back in Vancouver by 1:00am with the efficient riders (not speeders) arriving around 11:00 pm

We will have an IBA witness somewhere past the midpoint and require each of you to stop and get a certifying signature. You will need this signature to get your ride documentation and ride approval.

Based on discussions last year and a “test ride” a few of us did this made in Canada route is a wonderful day’s ride and eliminates all of the problems of crossing the border and droning up and down the interstate system.

How big a bike do I need to do this ride?

Well since the 2003 Iron Butt Rally was completed a rider riding a Ninja 250 anything reliable will work

Will I have to speed to do the ride?

Absolutely not.... speeding on the ride will just tire you out, increase the probability of you “having a roadside talk” and will increase your fuel consumption to the point that you will make way too many gas stops and arrive later tahn if you had been consistent in your pace.

How can I prepare for the ride?

You should all go to the IBA Knowledge of Wisdom section on the IBA site

http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aow.cfm

What do I get back before the others (i.e. first)?

This is not a race you will get a picture and a certificate like everyone else. There is no first

I can’t make the 18th of June can the date be moved?

No

What if it rains, I am sick that day, my Grandmother dies, or my dog goes missing, can I get my money back?

No that is what a non refundable payment means.

Will the ride really go on if it is raining?

Yes bring a rain suit and lots of face shield wipes.

What will the weather be like?

We will find out that day, Seriuosly,bring along some warm gear it will get cold in the mountains and as you get tired you will get chilled. If you have an electric vest bring it along and if you don’t have one consider buying one.

What do I have to do to my bike prior to the ride?

Make sure it is mechanically sound, and in good condition and have your mechanics check your tires for the proper amount of tread remaining.

We will have a rider’s educational meeting prior to the ride date time permitting.

What if I break down or have an accident.

I recommend that you all have good medical coverage, belong to a towing service and plan to ride a reliable motorcycle and carry a first aid kit and a cell phone. Ride carefully and if you get tto tired pullover and take a Motel room for the night

Why did you pick June 18th

It is close to the longest day of the year and that means more daylight for riding.

Here are the sunrise / sunset tables

June 18, 2005 Sun Rise Sun Set
    Actual Time 5:06 AM PDT 9:21 PM PDT
    Civil Twilight 4:22 AM PDT 10:04 PM PDT
    Nautical Twilight 3:20 AM PDT 11:07 PM PDT
    Astronomical Twilight
    Moon (6/18) 5:44 PM PDT (6/18) 2:26 AM PDT
    Length of Day: 16h 15m
    Length Of Visible Light: 17h 42m

Moon Phase: Waxing Gibbous, 85% of moon illuminated

Why are we coming home on the Coquilhalla?

Highway 5 is animal fenced and highway 97 is not. You will also be on a less challenging road when you are more tired.

I hope this will be fun for all of you who participate in the ride.

Bill
    BCSB had mountains of experience with a lot of things. #1 on that list is pouring out bullshit to dumb questions by the Gigabyte. (TripleTime, 12-10-2014 03:19 PM)

Bike
    sumfing nekkid
    I'm seriously thinkin about this.

shits 'n giggles...could be fun
    Ride in peace my friends...

Being a road crayon sucks....put your gear between you and the pavement.

WTD: Hot girls with low morals. Own transportation a plus. Sufferers of yellow fever considered first. PM/email me for details.