Turn signal substitution and relocation

Thread: Turn signal substitution and relocation

The new kid Array Digit Treesloth's Avatar
    Bike
    Driving Miss Daisy

Turn signal substitution and relocation

Soon I'll be needing to relocate my rear turn signals (installation of some saddlebags). At the same time I want to replace them with a smaller pair that look more appropriate. However, the ones I like (not radical, but the plain jane LED types) seems to be categorized as show only, or not street legal, or not DOT approved. Is there a rhyme or reason for this? Will I get pulled over and given a ticket? "These don't seem to be DOT approved..." says the man in blue.

As well, I want to make a bracket to relocate a set of turn signals from the middle of the back of the fender to the wing position (3 and 9 o'clock) of the license plate. Is this going too far? Is there a guideline to 'where' the turn signals must be located to be legal?
    Digital Treesloth

Doc Venture to Mike Soriyama: Oh C'mon! You're gonna kill me because I had fake sex on graph paper with a girl who barely spoke to you in real life?!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    03 ZX6RR
    its kinda stupid but it seems to me that as soon as you change it from stock it seems to be "illegal". as long as all your lights and you plate is visible most and i repeat MOST of the time you should be fine. I havent had any problems yet but i have heard of some people getting into s*** for not having a "legal" setup.
    Some just dont get it......others do.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    There is several acts and SAE codes that define what criteria your lights must meet. It's been discussed in other threads. Personally I think if you're new lights have the same brightness and field of vision as the stock ones most cops won't hassle you. If the lights don't, I'd worry more about the cagers than the cops.

My friend put a non-DOT tail light on his dirt bike to ride it on the street and the thing was useless. There were two bulbs in the unit, both of the same (dim) strength. One was on all the time and the other came on when the brakes were applied. It was very hard to tell when the second light came on. Not the kind of thing I'd want on my bike. I imagine similar things may occur with turn signals.

The new kid Array Digit Treesloth's Avatar
    Bike
    Driving Miss Daisy
    Thanks for your input guys, I have decided against going LED (seems like more hassle with having to buy a load equalizer) and changing the style at this time. But I did manage to build a relocation bracket, extend the wiring and mount the turn signals down near the license plate. Looks stock since a couple of the large fendered bikes also have turn signal in that lower position from the factory.
    Digital Treesloth

Doc Venture to Mike Soriyama: Oh C'mon! You're gonna kill me because I had fake sex on graph paper with a girl who barely spoke to you in real life?!

Fuelled by rice Array racerboy88's Avatar
    Bike
    Derbi
    my buddy had his led signals beside his plate and was ticketed for it. He had to put his stock ones back on
    02 R1- stolen Nov 24/02

Hang Thieves