CAGIS Vancouver open house

Thread: CAGIS Vancouver open house

glowing ghostie! Array gordopolis's Avatar
    I have kids

Smile CAGIS Vancouver open house

The Canadian Association For Girls In Science (CAGIS) is having an open house January 30 to celebrate the opening of the new Vancouver chapter.

The purpose of CAGIS is to promote, educate and support interest and confidence in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) among girls aged 7-16.

My wife is one of the Vancouver coordinators. She will be at the open house, as well as my 9 year old daughter whom we hope to have demoing a Lego Mindstorms robot (Unfortunately I will be at home looking after baby.)

Please pass this on to any family and friends that might be interested in attending.

The full press release follows:

Open House for Girl Scientists

Vancouver, B.C.- January 20(CAGIS)- The Canadian Association for Girls in Science (CAGIS) invites all girls aged 7-16 and their friends and family to join them at their open house to celebrate the opening of a new CAGIS chapter for the Greater Vancouver area. Come join CAGIS, Let's Talk Science and Geering Up and have lots of fun with hands on science activities, a science magic show, food and prizes. The open house will be held at Stratford Hall School at 3075 Slocan (at S. Grandview Hwy) from noon to 2pm on Sunday January 30, 2005.

CAGIS-Vancouver's Open House and Launch was made possible by the generosity of Stratford Hall School and YES Mag: Canada's Science Magazine for Kids. CAGIS would also like to thank Let’s Talk Science and Geering Up for their participation.

CAGIS is an association for girls by girls. The purpose of CAGIS is to promote, educate and support interest and confidence in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) among girls. Nine-year-old Larissa Vingilis-Jaremko started CAGIS, in 1992, when she became concerned that many girls were becoming turned off science at an early age.

CAGIS members meet monthly during the school year and have the opportunity to meet professional women and men who use STEM daily. In a girls-only, social, fun and supportive environment, members participate in hands-on science activities, learn about how STEM surrounds us and is used in everything, how critical it is to our understanding of the world, and how important it is for their future careers and success.

CAGIS has thirteen chapters in four provinces and recently won a Michael Smith Award for Science Promotion. For more information log on to or contact a CAGIS Vancouver Coordinator: Melody Owen at or 604-637-3709; Dora Lee at or 604-837-3182; or Cora Lee at or 604-506-2693.

Registered User Array Commuter Boy's Avatar
    Suzuki Bandit
    Cool! Thanks for posting that.