So, things have been a bit slow on the work front now and we are down to three days a week. With that in mind I've decided this is the perfect time to get some personal machining of my own down instead of doing everyone elses all the time. Machining tooling for aircraft is fun, but it gets old after a while. Machining stuff for yourself is always fun and never causes me to question why I became a machinist in the first place
I got this spare triple clamp from Good Old Pete for a song and a handshake so I figured..whatever..if I fuck it up, it's no great loss.
The top of the clamp was pretty beat up from the previous owner riding around with every key known to man attached to his key chain...I'm talking about those deeper than they first appear type gouges. Anywho, I took the thing into work this morning and put it up on the machine to clean up the top surface.
That went pretty well, but as with all castings it took a while to get set up in the vise and get it all indicated flat. Interestingly enough, I found a .008 inch dip in the centre of the triple clamp, so it was slightly bowl shaped. It goes to show that castings are not very accurate sometimes.
After the machining was done, I pulled it off the mill and set it up in vise, and hand filed the casting seam off of it. The casting seam goes all the way around the clamp, on the vertical edge. No sweat....now for the fun to begin.
Started with 300 grit I think (couldn't find the grit size but it felt about right) and sanded the edges down by hand until I had removed every last file mark I could find. I had to be careful not to take too much off cause then you get this ripple effect on the surface.
Then up to 400 grit. From four hundred, I stepped up to 600, then 800, then 1000, then 1500. I did not go the final step to 2000 grit, because I just didn't feel like it Oh, I also dry sanded it as well. Didn't bother with the water as it's just too damn messy and you get the same results anyway.
So this is where I am at now. I was going to just leave it as is and slap it on the bike, but my supervisor and I were talking about it and he said that if I write the program for a GSX-R logo, he'll throw it up on the CNC and carve it out for me. So that is the next step for this project...then it gets the red anodization and final install. It's gonna look good when it's done I think.
The pics in this post are not all that good as I forgot to bring the camera to work with me. I had to use the one on my phone. It's a bit crappy but you get the idea.
I've got some better pics of the clamp now on the camera, so I'll post those up in a bit. I have to resize then first. Anyway, hope you all enjoy this....April's almost here and I can't wait to get on the bike.