BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Time to bring out your old iron....

2K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  Mechanic 
#1 ·
Come on all you folks here over 40. It's time to post up pics of the old iron you started on. Let's see those old Honda step throughs or other old timer stuff.

Sadly I don't have any shots of my first two bikes.... too busy riding for that I guess. But I did get some funky shots of my third bike. It's a 1976 Honda CX500. I got one of the first ones in the city. I put my deposit down site unseen other than a sales brochure then waited about 2 weeks. Bought it from the old honda dealership down on Broadway at Mcdonald.

Funny side story. That shop used to be a dive store when I was a kid and I left many a drool trail on the window looking at all the cool gear before I'd go home and watch Lloyd Bridges in Seahunt and dream about being a diver. Later the same shop became a sales outlet for the old AquaCar. I was SO pissed that MY dive shop had gone. Then later I noticed that it was a Honda motorcycle shop so I guess that was OK.... or at least it was a couple of years later when I started riding...

Anyhow, in the pics you can see how I was set up for camping and the handy saddlebags I made myself for the trip. The only thing you could get in those days was the leather Harley style bags and THOSE were expensive. So I got a couple of heavy duty nylon stuffsacks and some webbing and sewed up my own. I should have patented the idea... The same bags went on many a trip over the next couple of decades and never let me down. Still got them around here someplace in fact.

The trip in question was from here to Regina to visit a cousin that you can see in the second pic. Those that know me now will see that I apparently used up my hair allotment early in life. I'm also sporting one of the trendy disco afro 'do's that the girlfriend of the time talked me into. Normallly my hair is straight... OK, so it WAS straight when I had it.

So don't leave me here all alone. Get out the pics of your early pre-sportbike stuff and let's all make the young'in's sick with hearing about how good the old days were!

See less See more
#3 ·
In the beginning......

My first bike was a '79 XL250S.
Next was a '81 XS400 Special.

Unfortunately, the first pics of me with a bike was with starting with my 4th bike - my '85 FZ750 - so I guess for the purposes of this thread, that would be new school, so I won't post that.

#5 ·
My first Motorbike. I know it's a little cut off but it's the only pic I have of that time that I am on my ride. It was a 1976 KD 125. I wish I still had it. I dumped hundreds of dollars into it untill I decided that I was better off getting a real MX bike. It was followed by the Husqvarna 1978 CR250. Again I wish I still had it. Awesome bike that I spent many, many hours thrashing at the track and on the trails.

#10 ·
My first bike was a 75 RM125 ... then a 76 GT250 ...
No pictures of me on those bikes ..
The next two were a 78 PE175 and a 81 CR125 - so here I am, circa 1981-82 !

#11 ·
First an XL 175,
Than and XL 350, no clue what year they were, 70s

Then a '76 Honda 750 four.
No pics of any of them,

Then this ...
bought new in 1980, actually bought two of them, after ICBC paid me for the first one.

#12 ·
silverD said:
First an XL 175,
Than and XL 350, no clue what year they were, 70s

Then a '76 Honda 750 four.
No pics of any of them,

Then this ...
bought new in 1980, actually bought two of them, after ICBC paid me for the first one.
The thing you ride now, isn't it a vintage Kawi? :rolleyes

#15 ·
Found 'em

First bike, XL 175 in mid 70s

Then the XL 350, mid 70s as well

Then the 750 four and me practicing being a squid

Then the GS 750

And no comments from you Mr. Nick ...

#19 ·
WOW! What a fleet! A buddy of mine has a CB750 that he's owned since new as well. But his is a bit more cherry than your dad's. Still a great runner. You just can't kill those old Honda single cam bikes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.