dry cleaning a lid ?

Thread: dry cleaning a lid ?

FAROH

dry cleaning a lid ?

any body ever try and take a lid to the dry cleaners ? if you cant get out the lining ?

sounds almost reasonable no ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    Suzuki SV650, 2002
    My dad was trying to be helpful and sprayed my lid with fabreez. I chucked it out, didn't want that stuff close to my head.
    -
    -
    Current:Suzuki SV650, 2002
    Previous:69 Triumph 500, 71 BSA lightning, 73 Triumph Trident, Yamaha DT125, 85 Honda Nighthawk, 88 Harley Sportster, CB 900...hmm I think thats it

Registered User Array audiophile's Avatar
    Bike
    04 Yamaha R6
    I wish I could just throw out helmets.

Vicious Little Tree Rat Array squirly's Avatar
    Bike
    The chemicals used in dry cleaning could be detrimental to the foams within the helmet. I wouldn't do it. I'd just take it into the shower with me!

I've done it many times, and it works great! Be certain to dry it out comepletely!

Good Luck and Godspeed!

Bike
    Canon 1ds3 1d4
    Quote Originally Posted by psyclone
    My dad was trying to be helpful and sprayed my lid with fabreez. I chucked it out, didn't want that stuff close to my head.
    joke is on you, what a waste of money hah
    next time give me the lid before you throw it out.
    no

Surrey Man Extrordinare Array Mr.Max's Avatar
    Bike
    05' FJR ABS
    Quote Originally Posted by psyclone
    Are you serious? I febreeze my beard to keep it fresh smelling and have had no problems with irritation.

FAROH
    febreeze is a joke ,its like spaying pine scent on dog shit ,,its just ends up being extra soggy dog shit with a confused hint of shitty pine ,,,,

im gonna try the shower trick ,i dont relaly care for the lid ,,it was free and its gonna be painted so its only the inside stank i care about

Bike
    Suzuki SV650, 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by audiophile
    I wish I could just throw out helmets.
    It wasn't much of a lose. It was old and beat and I was better off with a new one anyway.
    -
    -
    Current:Suzuki SV650, 2002
    Previous:69 Triumph 500, 71 BSA lightning, 73 Triumph Trident, Yamaha DT125, 85 Honda Nighthawk, 88 Harley Sportster, CB 900...hmm I think thats it

ridenrain
    You can also take those nice smelling, anti-static dryer sheets and put inside you're helmet. After you clean you're helmet, get one of those thin beleclava's, wind slicks or even a welders cap as a washable liner. Wash those and you're helmet stays cleaner.

Registered User Array SpideRider's Avatar
    Bike
    I don't think I'd take mine to a drycleaner. Just fill up a wash tub with some soapy water, dunk and remove. Last time I had to do this it took about 2-3 days for it to dry fully.
    Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battlefield
    -----
    Sparring speed is a matter of simple physics:
    The height of your flight is inversely proportionate to the mass of your ass.

Bike
    Big and slow
    Removable liner????? Pull, wash, hang dry, replace. A very nice selling feature.

Registered User Array Commuter Boy's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Bandit
    Shower. Pick a non-scented shampoo with some anti-fungal stuff in it like
    the anti dandruff stuff.

Rinse, rinse, rinse.

Some people take off all the plastic bits and use the dishwasher.

Bike
    1198 S 999R 990 superduke
    this is old,and been on here a few times now, but i'll let ya in on a little secret of mine? put your lid in the dishwasher with a TEASPOON of tide or whatever you use. teaspoon no more or your gunna have a bubble slide and burn out the pump in the washer. cold water setting,and DO NOT DRY IT IN THE DISHWASHER take it out and dry it !
    Getting married is like stickin your hand in a running lawnmower.....if you are smart..you'll only do it ONCE !
    (by S Whiting)

I took the "Short Bus" to school....only kuz they told me it was faster......What did they tell you ?

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    The dishwasher option with all cold settings is an interesting idea. But just be sure there is NO heat cycles in there or the foam protection could be damaged.

Frankly I'd just use the laundry tub or a big bucket or garbage can with lukewarm water and a little Woolite. It's gentle, made to work well with low temperatures and rinses out easilly since it's low sudsing. Helmet in, let soak for about 10 minutes, pour out and refill with clean water, dunk to rinse, repeat rinse with new water and then set over a couple of chairs or boxes to hold it up with the neck and face openings clear and set up a hair dryer on low low heat and low airflow blowing air into the helmet for overnight. Keep enough spacing so that the warm air in the helmet is just noticeable to your hand stuck into the face opening.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.