Safeway Club Card privacy

Thread: Safeway Club Card privacy

Registered User Array ReelExterminato's Avatar
    Bike
    FZR

Thumbs down Safeway Club Card privacy

Interesting little story from Washington state. A firefighter's wife saw a strange glow outside of house and told her husband, who put out a small fire. After an investigation, he was charged with arson because he had used his Safeway Club card 6 months previous to buy a firestarter. Check out the last link for the conclusion.

http://www.komotv.com/stories/32785.htm
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm..._arson06m.html
    http://heraldnet.com/stories/05/01/2...c_arson001.cfm

Bike
    his wife took his safeway card and set him up, why didnt they consider that?
    She could be bitter about his career choice and try to nail him to the cross...

Bike
    FZR
    Somebody else claimed responsibility for it, that's why the charges were dropped.

Bike
    yz250f
    always pay wif cash

Registered User Array radmtrbkr's Avatar
    Bike
    Gravity Warp Drive
    fuck safeway and their card. i use a diff name on mine.

Bike
    KLR, GIX750
    Quote Originally Posted by radmtnbkr
    fuck safeway and their card. i use a diff name on mine.
    I use my gf's card(ours, in her name), and every time it's have a nice night
    Mr. _________(gf's ex-husband's name). That's when I usually loose it on the poor cashier who has to live with this facken policy. They can shove their cards up their ass. Safeway Mgmt that is.
    You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move
    and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

Bike
    sold
    Quote Originally Posted by eyedoggerz
    I use my gf's card(ours, in her name), and every time it's have a nice night
    Mr. _________(gf's ex-husband's name). That's when I usually loose it on the poor cashier who has to live with this facken policy. They can shove their cards up their ass. Safeway Mgmt that is.

I guess getting your own card would be too hard ? and it would be "lose it" not "loose it"...lol...gee he looses it, O no.

Bike
    Canon 1ds3 1d4
    yeah them 10 minutes it takes to get a credit card are intollerable
    no

Bike
    A ---> B
    Most of these privacy agreements have clauses that the information will only be released for law enforcement purposes, etc. It's not particularly uncommon.
    Bike's sold - still have some gear left!

Bike
    FZR
    Yeah, that's true. After all, even if they didn't have that clause in there, they could probably be forced to surrender the info by being subpeonaed (sp?). Still a little discomforting, especially when the end result was a mistake.

On a seperate note, does anyone know if larger companies like Safeway, Superstore, or Costco share buying habit info with credit card companies? A friend and I were discussing it, and he didn't seem to think so. Personally, I don't think they'd pass up an opportunity like that.

Antares
    Why blame Safeway? If the cops come knockin, they have to cooperate. Blame the investigators, they're the ones who screwed up.

Bike
    DRZ400SM
    Quote Originally Posted by ReelExterminato
    On a seperate note, does anyone know if larger companies like Safeway, Superstore, or Costco share buying habit info with credit card companies? A friend and I were discussing it, and he didn't seem to think so. Personally, I don't think they'd pass up an opportunity like that.
    no, they would never cooperate that much
    Portfolio Site:
    TenguArtwork.com

Bike
    My what?
    All you have to do, is wait until someone in front of you uses their phone number to make a purchase because they forgot their card, then you memorize their number and use it. Or you could just not worry about it.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

ridenrain
    Crap, I wonder of they'll find out about that crop duster I rented at Safeway...

Vertigo
    So what happens when Safeway shares the fact that you've been buying a pack of smokes a day for 30 years and you get denied medical coverage because of it? That little red card can be a really bad thing.