BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

EX500 - shifting into 2nd

878 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  ssblade 
#1 ·
Hey EX500 owners,
do you know if you can shift into 2nd from neutral when the bike is NOT running and NOT moving?

I'm looking at the transmission section in my manual and there are supposed to be these three balls (like balls out of a ball bearing) that prevent one of the gears from being pushed by shift forks unless the shaft and gear are spinning. The balls are pushed outwards by centripetal force and then the gear can move as you shift. It looks like these balls prevent the gear from shifting from neutral into 2nd when the bike is stopped.

Now I haven't ridden this bike in a long while so I don't remember if I was or was not able to shift up into 2nd with the engine off and while stopped. I'd try it now but my engine is apart on my work bench.

Can someone help me? Go to your parked bike and try to shift into 2nd from neutral without moving or starting it. I think you can rock it back and forth a bit to get the gear teeth to mesh, just as long as the transmission is not spinning.

Thanks!
Much appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
umm

Manic said:
Hey EX500 owners,
do you know if you can shift into 2nd from neutral when the bike is NOT running and NOT moving?

I'm looking at the transmission section in my manual and there are supposed to be these three balls (like balls out of a ball bearing) that prevent one of the gears from being pushed by shift forks unless the shaft and gear are spinning. The balls are pushed outwards by centripetal force and then the gear can move as you shift. It looks like these balls prevent the gear from shifting from neutral into 2nd when the bike is stopped.

Now I haven't ridden this bike in a long while so I don't remember if I was or was not able to shift up into 2nd with the engine off and while stopped. I'd try it now but my engine is apart on my work bench.

Can someone help me? Go to your parked bike and try to shift into 2nd from neutral without moving or starting it. I think you can rock it back and forth a bit to get the gear teeth to mesh, just as long as the transmission is not spinning.

Thanks!
Much appreciated.

Its kawasaki's "positive neutral finder" On most kawi's its a design feature, you plop it into first, crank up once and its in neutral, no hassels of trying to find it, like you said, its designed to work at a standstill, as for your problem, good luck.

#3 ·
magis70 said:
Its kawasaki's "positive neutral finder" On most kawi's its a design feature, you plop it into first, crank up once and its in neutral, no hassels of trying to find it, like you said, its designed to work at a standstill, as for your problem, good luck.
Thanks Homer!
that's what I needed to hear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.