what to look for when sitting
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: what to look for when sitting

Bike
    98 zx7r

what to look for when sitting

Hey all, well i am gonna get my first bike as soon as I find out where my next co-op is and how much i will make. So, i went to look at bikes today. sat on the R6, kawi 636, honda f41 and 600RR. First time I have every actually sat on all these bike. They seem to have pretty much the same feel, although this may becasue iam inexperience and not sure what I should be lloking for. So what should i pay special attention to when sitting on a bike for comfort and all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

rain? whats that! Array REVELATIONS's Avatar
    Bike
    SV 1000s
    Take your hands off the bars when youre in a riding position, how hard is it to hold this position? The harder it is, the more pressure will be on yor arms.

If youre just in this for posing and picking up chicks, great, but if you meet with the Island guys for their typical rides, as a noob you will regret buying the track ready bikes like the 636, 600rr, R6, etc.
    Last edited by revelation; 02-13-2005 at 09:23 PM.

More than meets the eye Array Pvt. BLOGGINS's Avatar
    Bike
    2004 Katana 750, 1992 GS500

Bike
    2015 Ninja 300 ABS
    You won't really know until you ride for a bit. I've been riding for almost exactly a year, and sitting on bikes at the bike show this year I noticed a significant difference between bikes, whereas in previous years they'd all felt pretty similar.

So I'll parrot the countless replies to new riders: buy something cheap, light, on the lower power scale, without lots of expensive and fragile plastic bits. Ride that for a bit, drop the bike and clutch a few times, then sell it (for what you paid) and spend some time looking for the bike you really want.

Bike
    Konker KPX 125
    Quote Originally Posted by Squint
    So I'll parrot the countless replies to new riders: buy something cheap, light, on the lower power scale, without lots of expensive and fragile plastic bits. Ride that for a bit, drop the bike and clutch a few times, then sell it (for what you paid) and spend some time looking for the bike you really want.
    Excellent advise. I second it. But, before we start tearing this newbie rider a new one, at least he isn't posting about which liter bike is a better starter.

I remember when a 600 was a starter bike, not a racer ready track tool... go for a used 600F4I if ya gotta.

If that was the case I'd say flame on...
    Last edited by VTR_Rider; 02-13-2005 at 10:55 AM.

Bike
    A black one
    Theyre all good bikes, and theyre all better than you`ll most likely ever be. Just get the one that you like the most.
    Hug a two stroke....you`ll never go back to trees.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Frankly my vote is for "none of the above". I've ran around and sat on each of them and found that the seat to bar positioning and the angle of the clipons are all meant to be ridden in a track like crouch. The wrist angle alone is murder if you're not leaned forward in a racing crouch. I suppose it's fine for the short rides but if you aspire to longer rides or any touring then I suggest you look into the new Honda F4I version with the one piece seat. Yes it's not as racy and cool as the hot new offerings but your body will thank you buy letting you ride longer and in more comfort.

And this is if you insist on buying new. If you haven't seen it already check out the definitive thread on the thoughts BIKE SELECTION FOR NEWBIES
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bike
    Street:SV1000S Race:Ninja 250R, CBR600 F3, DRZ125
    If you've never really been riding you won't really know what you want anyways. There is only so much you can tell by sitting on them. relationship of the clip-ons to pegs, seat comfort, suspension stiffness, etc. You seem set on a 600 sportbike, with the exception of the F4I. As VTR said the best bike for starting out of that group is the F4I, it is the most comfortable as it has the most comfortable seat and ergos. The others have aggressive racing ergos, harder seats, and less wind protection.
    Test ride them all first if you can, rather than deciding which bike you want based on which one felt best to sit on, or which one looks coolest.

Hy_side
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandStyle
    Hey all, well i am gonna get my first bike as soon as I find out where my next co-op is and how much i will make. So, i went to look at bikes today. sat on the R6, kawi 636, honda f41 and 600RR. First time I have every actually sat on all these bike. They seem to have pretty much the same feel, although this may becasue iam inexperience and not sure what I should be lloking for. So what should i pay special attention to when sitting on a bike for comfort and all.
    Do you understand what power to weight ratio is? Do you honestly think just by sitting on a bike, you'll know exactly if the bike is for you?

If that's the case, if I wanted to test drive a car, all I would need to do is sit in a car that's parked on the showroom floor making "vroom vroom" sounds

By the way, shouldn't this be in the newbie section? Damn people, I hate it when they can't read, or do a bloody search for that matter.

Bike
    pedalling like a madman
    heh newbie flaming a newbie

Entertainment Poster Guy Array rearwheelrider's Avatar
    Bike
    05 750 gixxer (no,seriously)
    save yourself the headache of "thought".

buy a gsx-r and be done with it.

remember: there's three types of bikes out there -> Gsxr 600, 750 & 1000
    RIDE ON!
    RICHES BEFORE BITCHES

People who never do any more than they get paid for never get paid for any more than they do.
    – Albert Hubbard

Ya...I ride this too! Array carson's Avatar
    Bike
    600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandStyle
    They seem to have pretty much the same feel, although this may becasue iam inexperience and not sure what I should be lloking for. So what should i pay special attention to when sitting on a bike for comfort and all.
    I think only REVELATION answered this newb's question. He is asking what he should be looking for comfort and what not. Not power, shiny looks, etc...

I cant answer this question, but id say what feels 'natural' to you. Although, having yer nuts jammed against a fuel tank isnt exactly a natural feel. My FIRST BIKE was a Honda VTR 1000. (Thank you very fuc*ing much GI Carter) but I had NO CLUE about bikes at the time, so dont rely solely on a salesman's pitch.

Good luck and happy riding!

Bike
    2007 BMW G650X-Challenge
    I bought an SV650S for my first 2 years of riding. I found that the ergos woud tough on my wrists in town. I have traded it for a Z1000, which has a standard handlebar and a more upright riding position.

I wouldn't get a race-rep for your first bike anyway. Too expensive if you drop it, not saying you will, but if you do, you won't be happy.
    Dan
    2007 BMW G650X Challenge

Bike
    98 zx7r
    Quote Originally Posted by revelation
    Take your hands off the bars when youre in a riding position, how hard is it to hold this position? The harder it is, the more pressure will be on yor arms.

If youre just in this for posing and picking up chicks, great, but if you meet with the Island guys for their typical rides, as a noob you will regret buying the track ready bikes like the 636, 600rr, R6, etc.
    Thank you revelation...it was these types of little tips that I was looking for through this post....if anyone has anymore like this I would be much appreciative....the rest i have nothing to say but take it as is and shake my head in some cases

BTW iam not planning on buying a new shiny ass bike...just easiest to go around the shops and sit on shit than to call people up and make appointments to check out their shit...specially since i dont have all the money right now
    Last edited by IslandStyle; 02-14-2005 at 12:34 AM.

Bike
    04 CBR600RR
    i miss my old f2, great bike,