dif between engine sizes

Thread: dif between engine sizes

Registered User Array
    Bike
    SP 125..02 f4i

dif between engine sizes

how big a difference is there in power and top speed between a ninja 250 and a ninja 500? ninja 500 and somthing like a cbr600?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array audiophile's Avatar
    Bike
    04 Yamaha R6
    The Ninja 500 and the CBR600 is a WAY bigger gap, not only in power/top speed but in rideability.

Road Crayon In Training Array
    Bike
    Red CBR125r
    I Have 3 bikes..

Yamaha TW 200cc Dual Sport - This bike.. I used to train my wife on before she got a real bike.. I rode it to work the other day.. it sucks.. Its a single cylinder engine very choppy.. ridable.. but I would prefer not to take it on the freeway..

Ninja 500 - This is the bike for my wife to ride, 2 cylinder still choppy.. rideable.. no problems on the freeway.. and overall i think was a great starter bike for her.. she has been riding only 1/2 of last season, and shes almost outgrown it.. and will certainly have outgrown it by next season I think.

Ninja ZX6-R - My Bike.. 600cc 4 cylinder.. dont let the numbers fool you.. the 4 cylinder 600 has about 2 times if not more power than the 2 cylinder 500. (dont know actual numbers just how it feels) the 4 cylinder is much smoother, more responsive, and i would assume much less forgiving..

Your info says you dont have a bike yet, so i am assuming that is why you are asking. I dont know you at all, but I know that I wanted to get my wife a ninja250 to start with.. easy to ride, light, and cheap to insure.. I have never ridden one.. so i dont know exactly how it compares.. if you are contemplating the 250.. then the chances are that you should disregard the 600 for a first bike.. and go with the 500.. its a good bike, that you wont outgrow (or feel you have outgrown) in a week of good riding.

That said.. my first bike was the 600.. I wiped it into a wall on the hope-princeton 2 weeks after i got it.. only accident i have had in 5 years of riding.. <knock wood> still ride the same bike.. duct taped fairings and all..

Registered User Array
    Bike
    SP 125..02 f4i
    well i actually do own a bike...just not a sportbike. Its a 1984 suzuki 125cc dual sport, i also used to ride a suzuki 250cc 2-stroke dual sport but got rid of that. im 17 years old and my dad wants me to get a 250cc because he says that somthing more than that is too powerful for me. my neighbor down the street suggested a ninja 500 or a gs500f if i was looking for a sportbike and i agree with him, i just need to convince my dad of that because hes going to help me buy and insure it.

Quote Originally Posted by EmptyMind
    I Have 3 bikes..

Yamaha TW 200cc Dual Sport - This bike.. I used to train my wife on before she got a real bike.. I rode it to work the other day.. it sucks.. Its a single cylinder engine very choppy.. ridable.. but I would prefer not to take it on the freeway..

Ninja 500 - This is the bike for my wife to ride, 2 cylinder still choppy.. rideable.. no problems on the freeway.. and overall i think was a great starter bike for her.. she has been riding only 1/2 of last season, and shes almost outgrown it.. and will certainly have outgrown it by next season I think.

Ninja ZX6-R - My Bike.. 600cc 4 cylinder.. dont let the numbers fool you.. the 4 cylinder 600 has about 2 times if not more power than the 2 cylinder 500. (dont know actual numbers just how it feels) the 4 cylinder is much smoother, more responsive, and i would assume much less forgiving..

Your info says you dont have a bike yet, so i am assuming that is why you are asking. I dont know you at all, but I know that I wanted to get my wife a ninja250 to start with.. easy to ride, light, and cheap to insure.. I have never ridden one.. so i dont know exactly how it compares.. if you are contemplating the 250.. then the chances are that you should disregard the 600 for a first bike.. and go with the 500.. its a good bike, that you wont outgrow (or feel you have outgrown) in a week of good riding.

That said.. my first bike was the 600.. I wiped it into a wall on the hope-princeton 2 weeks after i got it.. only accident i have had in 5 years of riding.. <knock wood> still ride the same bike.. duct taped fairings and all..

Road Crayon In Training Array
    Bike
    Red CBR125r
    Well geez.. you're 17.. your dads gonna pony up for the bike.. then take what you're given..

all in all a bike is a bike and as long as you are out riding then who really cares.. be safe.. have fun.. and get some skills built up on whatever you have available.. then when you get out.. get a real job and have some bucks in the bank.. you can go.. get your dream bike and be even happier. and the extra time on the low power bike will give you the extra experience that you need on the bigger bikes..

I still think that the 500 would be better.. but the 250 has still got that sportbike look that you are probably going for.. and hey like i said.. if your dad is paying for it.. at least you got a bike that you can ride..

If you were paying the money.. i would defiantly say dont do the 250 save a bit more.. but while you may have your mind set.. there is probalby no way that I can change your dads mind without sitting him on my 500 and saying 'see its a good starter bike too'.. he prolly sees the 600's and rightfully doesn't want to see you being a road crayon.. not realizing the huge difference between the two aside from the minor displacement difference..

Registered User Array
    Bike
    SP 125..02 f4i
    hes not buying it for me...hes puttin in the extra lil bit that i dont have...im putting in around $2k...havnt found any 500 sportbikes around for the price im lookin at..found a nice lookin 250 ninja in my pricerange tho

Quote Originally Posted by EmptyMind
    Well geez.. you're 17.. your dads gonna pony up for the bike.. then take what you're given..

all in all a bike is a bike and as long as you are out riding then who really cares.. be safe.. have fun.. and get some skills built up on whatever you have available.. then when you get out.. get a real job and have some bucks in the bank.. you can go.. get your dream bike and be even happier. and the extra time on the low power bike will give you the extra experience that you need on the bigger bikes..

I still think that the 500 would be better.. but the 250 has still got that sportbike look that you are probably going for.. and hey like i said.. if your dad is paying for it.. at least you got a bike that you can ride..

If you were paying the money.. i would defiantly say dont do the 250 save a bit more.. but while you may have your mind set.. there is probalby no way that I can change your dads mind without sitting him on my 500 and saying 'see its a good starter bike too'.. he prolly sees the 600's and rightfully doesn't want to see you being a road crayon.. not realizing the huge difference between the two aside from the minor displacement difference..

Worst. Passenger. Ever. Array ace`'s Avatar
    Bike
    Blue
    hoped you've factored gear into the price of your bike.

Bike
    -=none=-
    i agree with ace, gear is very important, if i didnt have any then
    * Id have a nice no skin patch on my back and ass
    * Id need a skin graft on my sholder and left hip and elbow
    * I wouldnt be walking properly cause half my knee would have been grounded off,
    both elbows would be just screwed, left big tow would need skin grafts and massive trama to the head.

these are all seperate occasions. i avoided all of it cause of one suit i didnt cheap out on. i keep getting it patched up and its still good to this day. get good gear then work on getting a PVP bike.

good luck.
    -gurp

fiveliter_eater
    My first bike was a ninja 250. rode it for 3 years. I've also ridden my friends Ninja 500. I found there's not much gap between those 2. The 500 is a little faster and a litle heavier.(Obviously) Now i have a 2000 CBR 600. I found a big difference between the 500 and my 600. For some reason though i found my 600 easier than the 500 even during slow speed manuevers. And if you wanna go fast it'll blow a 500 away. You asked about the gap between the bikes so there's my opinion. If you can handle not having the fastest bike and just wanna learn, buy a cheaper 250 ride it for a couple years and then get a 600. That's my recommendation.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    SP 125..02 f4i
    yah i know gear is important...im prob gunno borrow some money wear jeans and get a kevlar jacket and a helmut in the $300-400 range...i wouldnt be alive right now if i didnt have a good helmut...smashed by dirtbike pretty hard doin about 40k when i actually went down...whiplashed my head in2 a dirt embankment...dont remember what happened after the crash...just remember standing up against the side of my dads car

Quote Originally Posted by G-slide
    i agree with ace, gear is very important, if i didnt have any then
    * Id have a nice no skin patch on my back and ass
    * Id need a skin graft on my sholder and left hip and elbow
    * I wouldnt be walking properly cause half my knee would have been grounded off,
    both elbows would be just screwed, left big tow would need skin grafts and massive trama to the head.

these are all seperate occasions. i avoided all of it cause of one suit i didnt cheap out on. i keep getting it patched up and its still good to this day. get good gear then work on getting a PVP bike.

good luck.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    01 Yamaha R6 78 kawi 400mint
    I have had 3 bikes as well. I had a 1978 kawi 400 which i got for dirt cheap just to practice on even before I took the action training course. That bike was a piece of cake to handle. My next bike was a 94 ninja 600. I found that the jump was not difficult what so ever. Even though my new bike is a 2001 yamaha r6, there is a huge difference between my old ninja 600 and my new yamaha 600. Obviously there has been huge improvements in bikes within the 7 years that seperate the two bikes, so i think that an older 600cc bike could be good for you, as you have already been riding before. Look for early 90's ninjas 600, they are cheap, and easy to come by.
    that is my opion.

Federal Protection Array shadow's Avatar
    Bike
    Gixxa K5/1000
    I don't have any of these bikes..so I am going to guess at the feeling of riding one(I own an 1100 gixxer)

250 - Half Impulse Power
    500 - Full Impulse Power
    600R - Warp Factor 7
    1000+ - Warp Factor 9
    WSB or MotoGP bike - Reaching the theoretical limits of warp travel

hahahaha
    God invented Litre Class so everybody would have a chance to chase some tail!

Registered User Array
    Bike
    SP 125..02 f4i
    well i would LIKE to buy a 600 but i simply cant afford to insure it...250's are much cheaper to insure lol

Quote Originally Posted by ClayOne
    I have had 3 bikes as well. I had a 1978 kawi 400 which i got for dirt cheap just to practice on even before I took the action training course. That bike was a piece of cake to handle. My next bike was a 94 ninja 600. I found that the jump was not difficult what so ever. Even though my new bike is a 2001 yamaha r6, there is a huge difference between my old ninja 600 and my new yamaha 600. Obviously there has been huge improvements in bikes within the 7 years that seperate the two bikes, so i think that an older 600cc bike could be good for you, as you have already been riding before. Look for early 90's ninjas 600, they are cheap, and easy to come by.
    that is my opion.