Signal Stator ?

Thread: Signal Stator ?

loco matt

Exclamation Signal Stator ?

My bikes electrical system is working ok but my right side set of signals stay ignited when they are turned on. The left side turns on and blinks accordingly. Is the problem a faulty signal stat or something else entirely.
    Thanks, Matt

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

damn broken leg!!!!!!! Array gixxer_76's Avatar
    Bike
    2007 KX250 Ripper!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by loco matt
    My bikes electrical system is working ok but my right side set of signals stay ignited when they are turned on. The left side turns on and blinks accordingly. Is the problem a faulty signal stat or something else entirely.
    Thanks, Matt
    Front and back stay on or just one? Can't just go by the dash indicator here, gotta look at the signals.
    Just like a twig, your leg will snap if you smash it into a wall with a 400 Lb bike @ 100+ Km/h. So just don't do it!

http://www.saveonwheelrepair.com

ssblade
    probably a short.

loco matt
    Both front and back signals on the right side stay on. The dash light is ignited as well as the signals when the indicator switch is applied. I checked the fuses and they are ok. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Sounds like your blinker module is shot. It's getting power but it's not blinking. It's a little block thing like a relay but you'll need a manual to find it. Or take it into a shop.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

damn broken leg!!!!!!! Array gixxer_76's Avatar
    Bike
    2007 KX250 Ripper!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeTee
    Sounds like your blinker module is shot. It's getting power but it's not blinking. It's a little block thing like a relay but you'll need a manual to find it. Or take it into a shop.
    I am an auto. tech so not completely familiar with bike schematics. Are there seperate flash control circuits for left and right? That would not be the case for a car/truck. For a car/truck to stop flashing on one side only you would have to have high resistance in the ckt. IE. bad bulbs or more likely corrosion. This would also produce dim lights. I am guessing bikes are wired differently by your response Bruce.
    Just like a twig, your leg will snap if you smash it into a wall with a 400 Lb bike @ 100+ Km/h. So just don't do it!

http://www.saveonwheelrepair.com

ssblade
    i still say it's a short.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    What's short? All the wires are long enough to reach stuff on MY bike.

On the bikes I've seen the blinker module is a two circuit deal that has the stuff for both sides in it. I'm sure there's just two sets of parts be it some transistor deal (not likely) or the typcial heater and coil make break that is cheap and requires the proper current load. If the bulbs are on at full brilliance I suspect the heater for that side is shot so the bimetal switch bar isn't heating up and curling so the contact is broken. That's the long and technical explanation.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

ssblade
    seen signals get all rusted and they short causing the same problem as described. seen signals wired up wrong so the same thing happens. seen aftermarket signals short out at the contacts to the bulb. could still be the flasher relay but i see the other problems more often.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    ...ah HA! That's all fine and dandy but by this admission you've never seen a wire that's too short to fit between it's own ends then!

.... Gotcha

ssblade
    but i have. you should see how most guys connect their new flushmounts. i've seen em pulled apart cuz they routed them wrong and turning the bars gradually ripped the wires apart at the non soldered, twisted together mess of a connection. and i'm not bein a smartass either. soldering guns are relatively cheap.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Quote Originally Posted by ssblade
    .....and i'm not bein a smartass either......
    Darn, just when I figure we're off on a good run you go and get serious on me...

Yeah, I've got my share of horrors deep in the bowels of my "new" 91 DR350 too. I'm in the middle of installing a couple of helicoils in the main head to hold down the cam's clamp down upper head. I ran into a good batch of similar stuff with the Track Toy as well. It's a good reason to always buy new it would seem.

I've still got sticker shock at the price of a little kit of coils and the two tools. $60 for a little card of stuff. At least it's a popular size. 6 x 1mm so I'm sure I'll find a use for them on my next used bike....

ssblade
    i still can't get over how much the heli-coil kits are. there's some other ones on the market but i haven't tried em.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Recoil is the brand name but the Napa place down the road only handled Helicoil. I'm sure they are about the same price in any event.

Let's face it. These thread repair companies found a niche where they got us by the short n' curleys and they don't plan on letting us go until we squeal like a pig.

At least the coils are not THAT expensive to buy on their own.

ssblade
    wurth makes some also. not sure on a price tho. i'd say best invention ever but the motorcycle takes that spot.