Right of Way -Intersection
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Right of Way -Intersection

Bike
    S

Right of Way -Intersection

Let's say I'm making a left turn and the other guy in front of me is making a right turn at the intersection. The light has just turned yellow. The right turning guy has the right of way right?

Becoming Insane Array CorvetteBoy's Avatar
    Bike
    Nagasaki XXRR
    The SUV that will run over your ass has the right of way.

You like popsicles? Array Hogie's Avatar
    Bike
    huh?
    yes, the person turning right has the right-of-way.

Bike
    GSXR600
    does it matter, you are behind him, he turns first before you no matter which way he is turning...
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it!

Registered User Array ReelExterminato's Avatar
    Bike
    FZR
    If you're coming from opposite directions, you have right of way because he has yellow/red and has to stop/yield to traffic, while you have to clear the intersection... at least that's what makes sense to me.

Bike
    GSXR600
    I thought by "guy in front of me" he meant right in front of him, not coming the opposite way! Its been a looong day for me hehe
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it!

Metalcat
    Is there a "rules of the road" book over here ? i.e. the way it all works, the kind of thing new drivers are supposed to of read ?

Bike
    Suzuki SV650, 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ReelExterminato
    If you're coming from opposite directions, you have right of way because he has yellow/red and has to stop/yield to traffic, while you have to clear the intersection... at least that's what makes sense to me.
    This sounds right to me. I've wondered about this situation myself. I think the person turning left should have the right of way. It would be more courteous anyway.
    -
    -
    Current:Suzuki SV650, 2002
    Previous:69 Triumph 500, 71 BSA lightning, 73 Triumph Trident, Yamaha DT125, 85 Honda Nighthawk, 88 Harley Sportster, CB 900...hmm I think thats it

Bike
    S
    That is just a courtesy right? The opposite driver making the right turn has the right of way though right? So if you got into an accident, it would be your fault if you were the the left turning guy?

StagnantWaterPo
    You have the right of way, not him. He has to come to a complete stop at a Red or Amber light before proceeding to make his right turn. You in the other hand, when already in the intersection, have to go on the Amber.

Bike
    S
    You have the right of way, not him. He has to come to a complete stop at a Red or Amber light before proceeding to make his right turn. You in the other hand, when already in the intersection, have to go on the Amber.
    So no matter what I have the right of way even though I'm making a left turn? What if the light is green, who has the right of way? Not the left turning guy right?

rain? whats that! Array REVELATIONS's Avatar
    Bike
    SV 1000s
    If you have a GREEN LEFT TURN ARROW, the right hand turner has to stop and wait otherwise you would be blocking the passage of traffic.
    At a regular green its left turrner yield.

rain? whats that! Array REVELATIONS's Avatar
    Bike
    SV 1000s
    Good question btw, I have also been wondering this. For those lost, here is a 3 minute picture.

Bike
    2002 SV650S Ghost
    No simple answer, as always.

1. If the person turning right can stop, the left turner has the right of way.
    2. If the person turning right can NOT stop, he has the right of way.

The Amber light means, stop unless it is unsafe to do so. In other words, if the guy turning right runs it, it is wrong. Wail the horn all you like. If it looks like he cannot stop, just let him go.

Bike
    None right now...
    Having been in this situation (being the left turner), and being found 100% at fault by ICBC, despite having a witness that says the light was red when the other car entered the intersection, I can say this with some authority:

You, sitting in the intersection waiting for the light to change, MUST wait for the intersection to be clear before you complete your left turn. It doesn't matter if the light is yellow, or if the light facing you becomes red while you're waiting. You MUST wait for traffic to stop flowing before completing your turn. The oncoming/right turning car has the right of way. It is perfectly legal for that car to enter the intersection on a yellow light, and it's almost 100% impossible to prove that he could have stopped instead.

The logic behind the ruling: The through traffic, or right turning traffic, does not impede any traffic flow while making their manoeuver, *other than traffic which is already impeded*. ie. you are already waiting to turn left, so you're already prepared or preparing (or should be) to stop for through traffic. He is flowing from the right-most lane to the right-most lane, and has neither to cross nor impede anyone's orderly flow in the process. Ergo, you must wait.
    ---
    My Picasa Album