JUST LOOK what two stripped bolts did to me! No it didn't blow off the top of the engine
I found two of the bolts holding the upper cam retainer and rocker arm mount were stripped so the head was weeping oil. Not just sitting there but when running the jacking action of the rockers was lifting the cam frame slightly and letting the pressurized oil leak a bit.
HELICOIL TIME! This was my first ever foray into Helicoils but it was easy other than the cost of the little kit with the tools and coils. $60 Cdn compared to about $35US that I found online. If I'd been more patient I would have mail ordered... Oh well. At least the coil work went easy thanks to the kit.
However I had to remove the head as the bolts that were stripped were right under the frame so no way to hand drill and tap them without making a mess. So off with it's head! That let me use the drill press to drill out the holes nice and square and use the drill chuck to start the Hilicoil tap nice and straight.
Of course while the head was off I couldn't just let things be so out with the Dremel and some cleaning of the intake ports was done. There was quite a lip where the valve seats go into the head on the intake ports so I ground the upper edge of the seat out in a nice flare to mate into the port metal such that it feels nice to the finger now. A bit of medium grit drum sanding also smoothed out a couple of rough bits in the side walls. No major amount of metal was removed. If I had the time and trusted the stuff I'd like to use some JBWeld or similar around the valve stem recesses in the port. It's pretty darn ugly there and some filleting could only help.... Oh well, I'm too afraid of the stuff coming loose over time so no dice. Although I may go with some high temp RTV to fillet them in. That stuff sticks like poo to a screen door and it'll flex with the heat cycling... Hmmmmmm .....
I had ONE bit of left over Cratex so I polished up the casting marks in the head and around the plug a bit. And of course I sacrificed a couple of Dremel wire wheels and a pair of socks to the de-carboning of the valves and head. Socks you say? Why yes! As the wire wheels disintegrated while doing their duty in this world the bristles went directly into the sock that was on the foot holding down the speed control foot pedal for the Dremel. I took one step after standing up and felt a thousand porcupine quills stick into my ankle and one that dug DEEP into my heel and neede a pair of needle nose pliers to pull out thaks to the curl that had stuck in and turned it. Damn that hurt!
The end of a small triangle file was ground off smooth and then the end and sides stoned up to a fine polish and a blunt corner to do the scraping. This worked nicely to peel off the gasket residue and didn't cut into the aluminium as long as I maintained a nice light touch. Worked nice and I'll be using it again.
Touched up the valve seats with a bit of fine compound. The intakes looked great but the exhaust seemed a bit rough. Just a few turns and they all showed a lovely seat polish.
I did a stupid thing though. I didn't want crud in the stem seals so I tried to take them off with the wrong tool. Result was two ruined stem seals so I'm waiting on 4 new ones coming in. I should have just plugged off the guides with some paper towel plugs.
A good cleaning with a strong detergent and various pipe cleaners and brushes and we're good to re-assemble. Just waiting on the stem seals arriving next week. The head gasket and a few other bits are already waiting at RMS for me.
I was a bit surprised that the goo on the piston crown just scraped up with the lightest of pushing from the file/scraper. Pleasently surprised though. A bit of carb cleaner spray on a paper towel finished it up nicely. I also found that it did a nice job of removing the gasket residue that the scraping didn't get.
It's been quite a while since I saw the inside of an engine but it's like falling off a bicycle. You never truly forget...