BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Flat tire what do I do???

1K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  bigrog 
#1 ·
My bike has been out in the cold air for about 4 months now with no stand and I haven’t moved it at all. I just found out that my rear tire has a flat. I haven’t changed the tire ever and the tire still looks good. It only has been ridden about 10,000 km. What should I do, I have no clue how to change a tire? Thanks in advance

#6 ·
may have a leaky bead, or a leaky valve. Once you fill it up, break out the windex and squirt it around the rim and on the valve stem and innerds. A leak will break out as tiny bubbles forming. But its truly not worth the effort, a slow leak just means you have to bump up the air pressure once a month which basically every tire needs anyways.

#8 ·
PHO said:
How would I find out if there’s something wrong with the tire besides bringing it to a shop? If I bring it to a shop, how much would it cost to plug
Talon just told you! Read the post above. You only need to plug if you have a puncture which it doesn't sound like you have besides which plugs are not recommended for motorcycles.

By the sounds of it you should have a shop look at the bike anyhow and get a tune up because by the sounds of it your really not that mechanically inclined. No offense intended. :thumbup

#9 ·
flowrider said:
...By the sounds of it you should have a shop look at the bike anyhow and get a tune up because by the sounds of it your really not that mechanically inclined. No offense intended. :thumbup...
That's a good idea, PHO. Not just cuz of the flat tire but it's time for tune-up anyway ;). IMHO, if your tire has 10,000kms on it and it's losing air/life... maybe it's just time for a new tire? The one you fix won't last much longer so the buck$ you put into repairs otta go toward a new tire [?]. Check the front one too... :thumbup

#10 ·
flowrider said:
Talon just told you! Read the post above. You only need to plug if you have a puncture which it doesn't sound like you have besides which plugs are not recommended for motorcycles.

By the sounds of it you should have a shop look at the bike anyhow and get a tune up because by the sounds of it your really not that mechanically inclined. No offense intended. :thumbup
yo worries, plus my post which your referrin to was posted before talon's

#12 ·
PHO said:
tune-up meaing changing oil, air-filter..etc???
Without knowing the kind of bike and the milage it's hard to answer that question.

Basic spring tune should include (at a minimum):
Oil change (I'd change the breakfluid as well).
Check brakes
Check tires
Check Airfilter, replace if dirty
Change plugs if indicated by milage or wear (plugs will also show if running lean / rich)
Adjust carbs (if carbed)
Check chain & sprockets & lube
Testride by mechanic to check for anything else that may need adjusting

Most bikes have a manual (note sarcasm). Said manual will have all sorts of wonderful information about your specific model & it's tuneup and storage needs (would have been a good thing to read before parking the bike for instance)

:rtfm <-- just cause we have a smilie for it.

:roflmao

#13 ·
If that tire has 10K on it and it is punctured dont get it plugged. Some guys here will argue that its safe and blah blah blah. Fixing tires like that should only ever be done for a very temporay solution. I got a nail/spike inna BRAND NEW, PMO! :banghead TWICE!!! :banghead PMO!!! :banghead I bit the bullet and got a new one, TWICE. I think of it like this, they re-tread tires for transports and simular vehicles. It's safe? how many of theses retreaded tires do you see on the side of the road? Theyve got 18 wheels. We got two. I know its not the same scenario as a puncture, just trying to point out when tires are damaged they should be replaced.period. I dunno about you, but the thought of that plug in my tire failing would make me uncomfortable every twisty I come across. A new tire @ $270 is worth your safety and your life isnt it?

The windex idear workx well, however I bet you will have one hellova FLAT spot in dat tire, if its been sitting on it flat forawhile. Fill it with air, limp it to the shop and get a new tire, its time. (limp it providing it's safe to do so.)

Just my 547 Peso :flashy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.