Longest ride in one day!
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Longest ride in one day!

Registered User Array savagebovine's Avatar
    Bike
    '06 GSXR 750

Longest ride in one day!

How many people here have ridden for more than 8 hrs or so in one day on a sportbike? what kinds of things do you mcgaiver to your bike to make the trip more endurable(ie.extra cushioning). i know some have done this, but to me it definately seems a bit of an unearthly challenge.

Im planning to head up to Smithers in the summer(jun/jul) which is about a 12hr trip(thats 12hrs. of road time plus breaks). the kicker is that the gf wants to do it with me 2up. is this impossible? will we break our backs? any iron butts out there? it prolly wouldnt be the end of the world to make it two days each way, but we would save money and time if we didnt. am i just being a pussy? the longest i've done in the past was about 6 hrs. on my own, but that wasnt really any trouble.

so, go ahead and brag about your crazy trips.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

I'm hungry... Array tackle_me_2's Avatar
    Bike
    BMW F800ST
    I've only done about 10 hrs in a day (by myself, not 2-up). My wrists were hurting, and my bottom was sore by the end of the day. I slept really well that night.

Having the tank bag helps a little coz I can lean on it when my back is sore.

Good luck!

modern day cafe racer Array neo's Avatar
    Bike
    mc28 sp
    myself, done vancouver to calgary straight, but thats only about 9 hours.

doubling, i've gone to Tofino, the 'loop', Canon Beach. either way, your but gets sore regardless of what you do. the back was fine on the ride, just hurt the next morning while rolling out of bed. the passenger cried about her sholders/wrist. i pity the passenger more then the driver on these long trips.
    dennislo.com | PHOTOGRAPHY

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2007 CBR 600RR
    Longest ride was the loop on my F4i. No problems. No wrist pains, no butt pains, or back pains. Could have gone longer if it didn't get dark.
    01 QX4 tow rig
    07 600RR track bike

I do all my own stunts Array boarder's Avatar
    Bike
    only 1 bike now, '02 gsxr750
    on a 600rr??? hahahaha. I've done 12 hour trips on my gixxer, no reall problems, but on a 600rr with a shitty seat and bent over back position....12 hours with a passenger is stupid...

a. where are you going to put ur lugage, let alone hers?
    b. her wrists, shoulders, arms and ass will be so uncofortable, you're really only setting youself for no action the whole trip down there.
    c. the 600rr is the most uncomfortable bike for passengers, U can priolly do it alone, but not on that bike with passenger.
    anyone wanna lend me a bike ?

Bike
    I'm just here for the intelligent conversation.
    I've gone long enough to know that I'm gonna need to adopt.

Smooth as Sandpaper. Array Brain's Avatar
    Bike
    '03 SV650s
    When it comes to sportbikes, however uncomfortable the pilot is, the passenger is going to be even worse off, simply because sportbikes were not meant to carry passengers.
    It also depends on the passenger. I've ridden with someone who I couldnt even tell was on the back, and another passenger who was completely new to bikes and made my arms hurt after 1 block.
    I'm not saying it can't be done, but as someone whos ridden bitch on a 600RR, I can say it will not be very comfortable for either party.
    Complimentary Brainwashing and detailing.

Bike
    '06 GSXR 750
    Quote Originally Posted by boarder
    on a 600rr??? hahahaha. I've done 12 hour trips on my gixxer, no reall problems, but on a 600rr with a shitty seat and bent over back position....12 hours with a passenger is stupid...

a. where are you going to put ur lugage, let alone hers?
    b. her wrists, shoulders, arms and ass will be so uncofortable, you're really only setting youself for no action the whole trip down there.
    c. the 600rr is the most uncomfortable bike for passengers, U can priolly do it alone, but not on that bike with passenger.

a) minimal luggage needed. i have a tank bag that will be sufficient. we're going to her parents place where there will be beds/food etc.

b) we dont believe in sex b4 marriage. if we're just cruising on the highway, i dont see why she cant sit up to relax her arms and just hold on to my waist.

c) i was trying to get at if people had used things like a piece of lambs wool or sth to accomodate the uncomfortable factor.
    Last edited by savagebovine; 03-04-2005 at 04:10 PM.

Bike
    Team Zookie: 1977 GS400, 1980 GS750E, 2004 GSX1300R Hayabusa
    You could ask Dru, he and the GF did an extra long loop. But that was on an SV with frequent stops. And she was hurtin' the next day.

Been there, Wrecked that! Array CrashTested's Avatar
    Bike
    - unknown
    Longest ride in one day? 1200+kms on my '99 SV. Started just west of Edmonton 8AM, all the way to Kaslo (North Kootenay Lake) Almost 12hrs riding + stops for fuel & the ferry ride. The last leg from the ferry home was the worst, 40 minutes on the ferry and my body didn't want to ride anymore.
    There are old bikers, and there are bold bikers, but there are no old, bold bikers.
    BCSB Member #XXXX

2 Wheeled History:
    '02 F4i (RIP, damn guardrail)

'87 TZR 250 (piston ate itself)
    '99 SV650s (RIP, damn Jeep)
    '79 250XR
    '81 500XT

Bike
    Street:SV1000S Race:Ninja 250R, CBR600 F3, DRZ125
    I've done long trips before, 8 hrs+ for many days riding my 7r. Been to S.Dakota, California, all over the twisties in oregon/washington. I like to pack my tank bag full up and position it a little closer to me then I can rest my weight on it for long stretches. The worst is butt soreness. i find it gradually gets worse as the day goes on I can make it a full tank in the morning with out any pain but later on it starts to creep in in under a hundred km. there isn't much you can do about it without stopping and stretching i find..

Registered User Array SpideRider's Avatar
    Bike
    I would never, ever, do a long trip two-up on a sportbike. That's just cruel to you and the passenger. Take the car for God's sake.
    I've done 12 hours of riding over about 800 clicks a couple years back and I was a bit sore. Couldn't imagine the pain my passenger would have felt.
    Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battlefield
    -----
    Sparring speed is a matter of simple physics:
    The height of your flight is inversely proportionate to the mass of your ass.

Bike
    2007 Suzuki GSX-R 750
    I suggest if you're going to ride all that way 2-up, buy a new Goldwing. They're cheap.

Bike
    KTM 625 smc & DR 650
    Take a couple of days or take a car for your girl friends sake. Riding is meant to be enjoyable not some torture test. I think my R1 is pretty comfortable as far as sport bikes go, but 600+ a day is plenty for me. I find my neck gets stiff from the weight of the helmet. I prefer 450-500 km days with rest stops to smell the roses and of course some cold beers around the camp fire at night.
    Easy Flash!

Bike
    '06 GSXR 750
    ok so pretty much everyones against doing it in one day. how about if we slept overnight somewhere mid-way. are two consecutive ~7hr. trips still too much?