Honda brake recall for ABS and linked brakes...

Thread: Honda brake recall for ABS and linked brakes...

Still defying gravity... Array Thumper 8's Avatar
    Bike
    3 and 6 cylinders of fury

Honda brake recall for ABS and linked brakes...

Further to a thread about ABS and non-ABS and linked brakes, Honda is recalling bikes w/ ABS & linked brakes for a check-up. Although this was in the States in January, Carter Honda GI got the notice in the last week or two. I went to Carter GI this morning and my bike is due for the check-up, which will evidently take up to half a day. Although the notice below says '03 - '04 800A's, my '02 is subject to the recall.... verified through the VIN number.

Details from a VFR site:

The brake recall is on the NHTSA web site (can access via www.recalls.gov), but isn't on the Honda Owner Link yet. I think that the number of units affected includes linked+ABS VFR/ST and ? GW, because 36000 seems high for VFRs alone.

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
    HONDA / CBR1100XX 2002-2003

HONDA / ST1300 2003-2004

HONDA / ST1300A 2003-2004

HONDA / VFR800 2002-2004

HONDA / VFR800A 2003-2004

Manufacturer : AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 05V010000 Recall Date : JAN 18, 2005
    Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
    Potential Number Of Units Affected : 36046
    Summary:
    CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES EQUIPPED WITH COMBINED-BRAKE SYSTEMS HAVE A PROPORTIONING CONTROL VALVE (PCV) THAT MECHANICALLY PROPORTIONS BRAKE FORCE WHEN THE REAR BRAKE IS APPLIED. A SEAL IN SOME PCVS IS IMPROPERLY SHAPED, AND BRAKE FLUID LEAKAGE MAY OCCUR.
    Consequence:
    IF THE MOTORCYCLE CONTINUES TO BE USED AFTER A LEAK OCCURS, THE REAR BRAKE WOULD EVENTUALLY BECOME INOPERATIVE. A LOSS OF REAR BRAKE FORCE COULD INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE REAR BRAKE FORLEAKAGE. IF LEAKAGE IS CONFIRMED, THE DEALER WILL REPLACE THE PCV. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON FEBRUARY 3, 2005. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 866-784-1870.
    Notes:
    HONDA RECALL NO. P65. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).
    CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES EQUIPPED WITH COMBINED-BRAKE SYSTEMS HAVE A PROPORTIONING CONTROL VALVE (PCV) THAT MECHANICALLY PROPORTIONS BRAKE FORCE WHEN THE REAR BRAKE IS APPLIED. A SEAL IN SOME PCVS IS IMPROPERLY SHAPED, AND BRAKE FLUID LEAKAGE MAY OCCUR.
    Consequence:
    IF THE MOTORCYCLE CONTINUES TO BE USED AFTER A LEAK OCCURS, THE REAR BRAKE WOULD EVENTUALLY BECOME INOPERATIVE. A LOSS OF REAR BRAKE FORCE COULD INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE REAR BRAKE FORLEAKAGE. IF LEAKAGE IS CONFIRMED, THE DEALER WILL REPLACE THE PCV. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON FEBRUARY 3, 2005. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 866-784-1870.
    Notes:
    HONDA RECALL NO. P65. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).
    Last edited by Thumper 8; 03-05-2005 at 04:06 PM.

aka Tony

My WMRC/Pitt Meadows and other bike photos are at Thumphoto.com - follow on Twitter and connect on Facebook

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Hy_side
    Boo, down with linked brake systems.