what happens if your bike has a factory defect?

Thread: what happens if your bike has a factory defect?

pedalling like a madman

what happens if your bike has a factory defect?

what happens if your bike fucks up, on something that isn't that widely publicized. Like the frame of that zx10r that cracked, or their front rims. Say my swingarm developed a hairline fracture halfway along it, not along any welds or anything, just a stress fracture.

what recourse would i have? is it a dealer thing? is it a manufacturer thing? what?

just hypothetical of course. my bike has too many different parts on it to be really any single brand anymore.

2. Remove Advertisements

Registered User Array cyclestarter's Avatar
    Blue Sport Tourer
    If it is under warrenty, I'd suppose they would be obligated to fix it; providing that it was damage not intentionally or recklessly inflicted by the rider/owner. Then again, it all depends on the shop you've dealt with. The variety of stories I've heard regarding shops that honour problems to those that slap their knee laughing are way too common.
    I love the sound of an idling bike early in the morning

2002 ZX6R
    I had a serious engine defect on my first sportbike that I bought new. They gave me a new bike after a little bitching

Ex-Team X-Trojan Member

Past Bikes: CM450E, '00 F4, '01 929, '03 GSXR1000/'03 GSXR 750(Katie's), '02 ZX6R (current)

Registered User Array
    Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Its an obvious defect and they are obligated to fix it. Something like a defective engine or frame is going to require a lot of sqeaking.

Out to pasture in the 'Wack
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Stuff of that nature often will get some warranty even if the warranty is generally not valid anymore. Take it in and see what you're dealer will do for you. You need to work through a dealer in any event.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Unless it's a BMW, then it's a characteristic and it's probably you're fault because you're not riding the bike in the right way anyways.