Mismatched tires.

Thread: Mismatched tires.

Bike
    '04 GSXR 600

Mismatched tires.

Is it a big deal mismatching tires? Right now on my bike (a new to me Gixxer 750) I have a practically bald Michilan pilot sport, and a Bridgestone 056(good tread). I dont have the funds at the moment to buy tires but I do have a new BT014 sitting in my garage. Would it bad to run the BT014 in the front with the BT056 in the rear? Granted, in a month or so the rear would be replaced with a new 014.

Thanks,

Dan
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
    -Emiliano Zapata

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    vtwins
    unless you are doing some serious hardcore riding, it shouldnt really matter for regular everyday transportation.

i've heard its always important to run the same 2 tires, never mix and match. but i really dont see how that matters if you are just commuting for a month untill you get a matching pair
    10 KTM rc8 r
    03 Yamaha R6 (track)
    97 HD Sporty 883

rain? whats that! Array REVELATIONS's Avatar
    Bike
    SV 1000s
    As R6 Jono said, you definitely should change them as soon as possible. I
    've heard some bikes developing interesting characteristics with mismatched tires, especially if the tires are from a competing brands, but easy riding should be ok.

Newer bikes also have a far greater sensitivity to changes in critical specs.

Registered User Array ReelExterminato's Avatar
    Bike
    FZR
    I've got a BT010 on the rear and 014 on the front, bought them together new, and it's worked great for me. I'd be more concerned if the front was less grippy than the rear, but that wouldn't be the case for you.

Antares
    Quote Originally Posted by revelation
    I've heard some bikes developing interesting characteristics with mismatched tires, especially if the tires are from a competing brands, but easy riding should be ok.
    What sorts of 'interesting characteristics'? I have mismatched tires, could that help to explain a weird wiggle I had while going around a corner which had no gravel/sand or tar snakes?

Crabalocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Antares
    What sorts of 'interesting characteristics'? I have mismatched tires, could that help to explain a weird wiggle I had while going around a corner which had no gravel/sand or tar snakes?
    I had mismatched tires on my bike and it acted precisely like that.....of course the front was pretty much bald for the last year.

Bike
    SV track, VFR road
    I've run mismatched tires without drama in the past. If I were in your position, I would do so now. Your mileage may vary.
    "When in doubt accelerate.
    It may not help you avoid the problem,
    but it'll end the suspense."

WMRC #96 (retired)

Wannabe Array
    Bike
    05 XR650L, hey riding on dirt is a sport
    my tires are different front to rear, aren't all bikes that way?

Registered User Array ReelExterminato's Avatar
    Bike
    FZR
    brand/model, not sizes

Bike
    2002 vfr800a 2003 duc ss1000ds
    dude don't sweat it!!! it simply is better than an old bald tire!!! some of us sp. tourers run r compounds out front and touring compounds in the rear, and have heard no complaints. if the profiles are dissimilar, it might give you strange turn in and late braking characteristics, but then a bald tire will do that too. wont cause anything like a shimmy or vibe unless there is other issues. mismatched tires just might amplify them.

Bike
    2015 Ninja 300 ABS
    Quote Originally Posted by Antares
    I get that all the time too. I have a pretty new tire up front but the rear is a soon-to-be-replaced something that apparently is spec'd for a HD. But don't tell anyone!