Votes: 271 27.7%
  • 25+

Votes: 259 26.4%

What Age Did You Start Riding?

32K views 191 replies 147 participants last post by  K-rod 
#1 ·
What Age Did You Start Riding?

#5 ·
Never rode any bike until I was 21. First it was dirt bikes, then quickly followed by a Virago.

#122 ·
Ditto :thumbup

They actually had a course for 7-to-9 yr olds (taught by the local police, in Halifax) so I took it. Well, my dad told me to cuz I crashed a lot [:rolleyes], but I took it. :p I still see the odd Honda QA50 and ..I weep for simpler times. :angel

#8 ·
Started last year at 25+ something I've wanted to do for many years, but didn't have the time or money. As a gift to myself last year got equipment and BCSC lessons, and is absolutely money well spent.

I knew motorcycling was fun (very fun actually), but I didn't know how addicting it actually is.

Next stop for me however is the ART course or the Race school. :thumbup

#12 ·
Godspeed said:
Same here.

I bought a '79 XL250 and rode it for a year in the hills behind our house before getting my license on it the next season when I turned 16.

I'll bet a lot of folks on here rode 'mini-bikes' or off road before 16, so I think the poll is flawed - unless the question should be changed to "how old were you when you got your M/C license?".

??
I had a 1976 XL250, man that thing was heavy. I guess I was also around 12 when I was trying to ride that thing around. Pretty scary.

#15 ·
History of bikes...sort of in this order, alot of them overlap..
Honda 50, Honda 80 Yamaha 250 (4 stroke) Yamaha RD350, RZ 350, Rz500, Gpz 750, Gpz / Ninja 900, 82 Katana 1100, 84 Katana 750 or 11 I forget, Honda CBX 550, Suzuki GSXR 750, Suzuki TLR 1000, Kawy ZX12R (current ride) and I am restoring a 67 Suzuki A100. something like that, they are like thinking of old girlfirends now, they had their qualities at the time and a few of them certainly got lots of my money / blood or was that youthfull enthusiasm?

#19 ·
1st bike was a 1980-81 Yamaha xt 550 enduro (not 100% about the model or cc) was 15 going on 16 and the bike weight more then I did at the time, it had the decompression lever you had to use in order to line up the white ball in the sight glass on top of the head.... I tried starting it a few times with out the decompression lever... didn't think I'd go over the handlebars without hitting something!! :rolleyes WRONG! It flipped me like a sack of rice!

2nd bike was a 1999 SV650s... 30,xxxkms :thumbup till I met the side of that Jeep :banghead

3rd bike was a 1987 TZR250... ate the piston sleeve & ICBC wrote it off for a wee tiny frame dent after it got backed over by some drunk ass! :banghead

4th bike was a 2002 CBRF4i... Like come on now! How puts a guard rail in a place like that anyway :rolleyes

5th bike is a... Ask my family and friends and they tell you I'm never riding again, HA! Shows what they know. I ride the 32 windowed loser cruiser daily!

#20 ·
Started way-y-y-y back in '81 at the tender age of 19. Never rode a bike and went out and bought a brand new Suzuki GS750T, almost high-sided it coming home because I was afraid to use the front brake. Damn, I was lucky not to have dumped that bike, I wouldn't recommend getting a big new bike right away.

#21 · (Edited)
Hu99 said:
Started way-y-y-y back in '81 at the tender age of 19. Never rode a bike and went out and bought a brand new Suzuki GS750T, almost high-sided it coming home because I was afraid to use the front brake. Damn, I was lucky not to have dumped that bike, I wouldn't recommend getting a big new bike right away.

It is wild to think of the bikes that people just jumped on an rode with very little preparation other than maybe some dirtbike experience!

When I started riding street bikes, guys were buying things like Kawi 500 and 900cc 2-stroke triples (which were still around), lots of 750 and 900 Hondas, CBXs, Suzuki 750s and 1100s, Yamaha RD400s, etc. It was the dawn of the Japanese superbike era!

The funny thing is, I can't remember a lot of them wiping out...maybe it is just the mist of time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.