Newbie here
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Newbie here

  1. #1
    Registered User Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    DT Van
    ARRR 6

    Newbie here

    I registered today. I currently live in Seattle as UW student. I am graduating this june and moving to Vancouver. I ride 05 R6 and hope to ride with you guys soon.
    Anyone have an experience bringing a US bike to Canada?
    I heard I would have to pay tax on my bike once more at the border.
    I was going to sell my bike here and buying a new one after the move, but... I see that Canada MSRP is more expensive than US after the $ conversion.

    Also, is ICBC the only insurance company? I have state farm insurance here and I pay $28 per month for full coverage. In state of WA, insurance is optional.. I don't know how things are in Canada... so if someone could comment on it, it will be great.

    Lastly, I took Motorcycle safety course in US and have endorsement. Anyone know if I would have to take a test or course again?

    I am sorry I have so many questions.

  2. Remove Advertisements

  3. #2
    Moderator Array TeeTee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Out to pasture in the 'Wack
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    I think the tax only applies to imported vehicles if you live in Canada and want to bring in a bike. As part of your personal possesions due to having lived for your time in the US I believe you'll be allowed. But it depends on your time in residence down there. Best to check with Canada Customs.

    If it shows on your license as a motorcycle rated rider then they should accept that.

    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

  4. #3
    Registered User Array ReelExterminato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    It also depends on how long you've held a license. In BC, we have a graduated licensing program that takes a minimum of 24 months to complete. If you can show proof that you've held a license for longer than that, it'll be a breeze to get it switched to a BC license.

    Basic insurance (3rd party liability + medical & wage loss + uninsured motorist protection) is mandatory and is based on the size of a bike engine... in the region of $500/year, and must be bought through ICBC. Unfortunately, there has been quite a bit of theft occuring lately. Collision and comprehensive (includes theft) insurance is quite high, but you can either go with ICBC or a private insurer for this portion.

  5. #4
    Been riding since 1985 Array philtag6000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Coming soon
    $28. a month for full coverage, can't get any better than that.
    My 02 Honda F4i was like $160. a month full coverage. (ICBC)
    History of bikes:

    (1) '85 Honda Elite 150cc
    (2) '84 Honda Interceptor 500cc
    (3) '89 Kawasaki Ninja 600cc
    (4) '89 Honda Hurricane 600cc
    (5) '00 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc
    (6) '02 Honda CBR600F4i
    (7) '04 Suzuki Burgman 400cc

  6. #5
    Registered User Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    GSX-R 600
    yeah, insurance here sucks assssss....
    u could get basic from ICBC and get the rest from they are located on vancouver island. if u do that, it could save u up to 800 a year.. but the requirement for them is that u must be atleast been driving for 10 years.. yes car license for 10 years not riding..
    and according to icbc, motorcycles does not require any inspecting when moving here.. check out the link...
    hope this helps

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts