Highway etiquette
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Highway etiquette

Metalcat

Highway etiquette

So I've got to get from downtown Vancouver to Kamloops on Saturday, weather permitting !!

I'm guessing its 80/90 K on the big roads most of the way ?

In the UK its 70 mph on the motorway, though you won't get hassled by the cops if you are keeping it under 85/90 and not tailgating or riding like a muppet.

Is it the same over here, i.e. you can do 100/110 kph and cruise or are they really strict on it ?

Antares
    I've been ticketed for going 100 kph in an 80 zone (radar trap). But that's pretty unusual, the other day I was a few cars behind a cop who was doing 110 kph.

Bring on the sun Array Bandit_Ryder's Avatar
    Bike
    Yes
    If you are taking the coquihalla the speed limit is 110km/h...keep it under 130 and yer fine...

In 100 zones radar is usually set at 118km/h...unless they are in a shitty mood or some shit...

Bike
    Honda & Suzuki
    It might help to know that all speedometers are intentionally set to read higher than what you are really traveling at. The amount can vary depending on the model / brand but I understand it to be for legal reasons so as to ensure that speedometer error is not a cause in a liability claim. There are little boxes to allow recalibration of speedometers

“Most motorcycle speedometers consistently read about 7% high. These can fix that.”
    http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Instruments.html

Bike
    R1 and Husky
    One of my best childhood friends is an RCMP officer in Mission. He says you can get away with 20% above the speed limit in a trap, after that your on your own

Bike
    Honda & Suzuki
    If so, then you can go more than 20% over the speedometer’s reading as compared to the posted limit given that (as mentioned) speedometers read high.

Case in point assuming 7% difference: if the posted speed is 100, and your speedometer is reading 100, you are actually going 93, but in fact you could go up to a reading of 129 on your speedometer, and be still be un-ticketed, if your RCMP friend is correct about the 20% margin.

Check out the thread “Speed readout with GPS” http://www.burgmanusa.com/

Bike
    R1 and Husky
    Yeah, that was about right on my old R6. But I usually kept it around +20% the posted limit, using that 7% as a buffer, except when there were obviously no traps arounds We are talking a fine line on buffers here though
    Last edited by Ripster; 04-15-2005 at 03:09 AM.

Bike
    R1 and Husky
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumly
    If so, then you can go more than 20% over the speedometer’s reading as compared to the posted limit given that (as mentioned) speedometers read high.
    Theoretically. I'm sure there are some stories out there to prove or disprove this
    Last edited by Ripster; 04-15-2005 at 03:22 AM.

Bike
    Canon 1ds3 1d4
    Had some police come to school one day i forget what grade it was in, but we asked what we could get away with
    one cop said no more than 10 k over
    and another said 20% maybe a lil more if you behave
    then they agreed that they will bust you for 2 over if you are a real dink
    no

Muffin
    If you're cute they let you off most of the time

Bike
    '07 BMW K1200R
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffin
    If you're cute they let you off most of the time
    Yes, I have found that too. **ahem**
    What was it all about?

Metalcat
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit_Ryder
    If you are taking the coquihalla the speed limit is 110km/h...keep it under 130 and yer fine...
    Didn't know it was 110 thats cool. Just got to see if its going to dump rain all day now !

Bike
    '04 GSXR 600
    If I remember correctly, my old driving teacher told me 10-15% over the limit is usually fine.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
    -Emiliano Zapata

GreenspyGSXR
    I think its funny that its called a speed LIMIT and we are allowed to travel in excess of it...hehehehe....ive never been one to follow the rules either!

Metalcat
    Limit !! I thought its was a target :P