suzuki gsx-r1000, too much bike?!
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: suzuki gsx-r1000, too much bike?!

vonsliek

suzuki gsx-r1000, too much bike?!

hello!

i'm paul .. here's my serious tho perhaps naive question & i am after a serious response.

is a '05 suzuki gsx-r1000 too much bike for a guy w/ 1 years riding experience on a hardtail, ironhead harley xlh .. 4 spd, 1000cc, rough & old school handling w/ apehangers, no less .. abt 60 horses .. torguey as all f**k .. stripped pretty bare, so not too heavy .. which i ride hard .. oh, & learned on a buell blast single cyl 492cc 5 speed ...

on paper it wld appear a poor intro, esp. to sportbikes .. i am 39 & weigh 180 at 5'10" .. the ergos feel awesome on these new sportbikes .. i am not a *cruiser* guy .. it just so happened i got the old sporty ..

i am addicted to the power, pull & wind .. i am VERY comfortable manouvering slowly & have great balance .. i ride a bmx for kicks ..

now all of this may have no bearing on conventional applicability to sportsbike riding, but i thought i'd supply all i think i have going for me.

yr input & considerations are highly respected & appreciated.

also, i read the things abt 600 sportbikes & totally appreciated the cautionary info.

paul.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    sold
    164hp too much?...nawwwwwwwww.

Bike
    2006 Honda CBR 600RR
    I would say it is a bit too much... especially if you claim to be "addicted to the power". The 2005 GSXR1000 is a complete beast and is many many times faster than anything you have ridden before. It will pull the front wheel up in 3rd gear even i believe. Going from 60HP to over 160HP is a drastic leap.

I suggest you take a look at the GSXR750 if you dislike the 600s. However, with only 1 year of experience and not on a sportbike, a 600 would be the optimal place to start.

Also, going slowly is no one's concern. If you drop the bike, fine... you're not going to hurt yourself like that. However, you have to ask yourself, can you respect the power or a litre bike? It will bite you in the ass if you don't. It's like learning to run before you know how to walk.

Remember though,.. no one will call you less than a man if you ride a bike with "only" 600cc's.
    .()_()
    (o'.'o) Thanks to Twinbros Racing for my avatar!

Bike
    The Mighty One
    My straight answer is the 600's will give you what you're looking for and more. The 1k is a bike to be respected, as long as you're willing to do that, you'll be fine on it. As far as I'm concerend if you have to ask, you may not be ready for it and you certainly shouldn't be pushing that bike. Nice choice all the same.

Je ne suis pas Francais Array nutcracker's Avatar
    Bike
    none at the moment
    I think that wanting the most powerfull street bike on the planet as a first sportbike might be a little crazy. Get a 600 for the first 2 years and then get the 1000.

Be smart
    2010 can't affort a bike anymore
    2006 Husqvarna 610SM
    2004 VFR
    2003 R1
    2002 KTM LC4
    1998 ZX6-R
    I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death.

Bike
    '07 BMW K1200R
    After riding a H-D, an '05 G1K will maybe not kill you, but you'll spend a lot of time recuperating from injuries and getting the bike fixed. However, I could be wrong.....it may just kill you.
    What was it all about?

builder of bikes Array cosworth's Avatar
    Bike
    bah
    It's too much bike. Period.

Old Dirty Bastard Array masonjarz's Avatar
    Bike
    Looking for the next one
    Wow! Talk about two totally different motorcycles.

The GSXR 1000 is the current king of hardcore sportbikes according to some...even if it isn't, it's a very very high performance bike that requires a lot of skill and experience to ride safely.

builder of bikes Array cosworth's Avatar
    Bike
    bah
    Yet it can be completely docile in the city if ridden quietly.

Years ago on gixxer.com a guy had an avatar that was rather cartoonish rendering of him riding on the back of a great white shark in gixxer stripes, steering it by twisting the dorsal fin. It was a very fitting visual analogy.

Steer the shark hard and you could get bitten. Go along for the ride and just cruise for prey.

Still, a boatload of bike.

Bike
    SV track, VFR road
    Maybe try something like a VTR or an SV1000? You'll still get some of that torque you're accustomed to without the huge hit of horsepower. VTRs have been around for a while, so you might find a clean used example for not too much $$.
    "When in doubt accelerate.
    It may not help you avoid the problem,
    but it'll end the suspense."

WMRC #96 (retired)

rain? whats that! Array REVELATIONS's Avatar
    Bike
    SV 1000s
    I second the VTR / SV suggestion, you can STILL have the deep roar of a VTWIN engine AND a bike that can turn on a dime.

Wanna come over for lunch Array ehtaylor's Avatar
    Bike
    2001 GSXR 1000
    You will have more fun on a smaller bike. Less intimidation.
    Your skills will improve faster on the smaller bike and then you can step up to a bigger bike.
    Bring it on Fatboy

thundergod
    u don't need a 1 litre bike...get a 600 and a crazy sprocket when u r ready.

Bike
    I'm just here for the intelligent conversation.
    600's satisfy my power addiction just fine.

GreenspyGSXR
    Tell these guys to lick your balls, if you really want that gixxer thou, then get it...600's these days are just as fucking crazy, pluse you get the title of rockin
    a liter bike!